IGNORED

Swapping Parts On Toshiba Laptops

The Sly Fox

Which parts in a Toshiba Satellite L500 could be put into a Toshiba Satellite C640?

For example the L500 has 4gig ram; the C640 only 2 gig ram but has a spare slot, so could take the 4gig from the L500 and give the C640 a total of 6gig. Anything else that could be switched over to upgrade the C640?

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

I got no idea but i think the computer i own is a L500.

Mate i,m Computer illiterate  but can't u just buy a 3 TB hard drive to store or keep what your com cant ?

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/165739-5-days-in-issarn-udon-thani-loei-chiang-khan-mekong-pictorial-report/

You can take the monger out of the bar but you can never take the bar out of the monger

I got no idea but i think the computer i own is a L500.

Mate i,m Computer illiterate  but can't u just buy a 3 TB hard drive to store or keep what your com cant ?

No it's not a storage issue, I have both laps and the old L500 is on its way out, so I'm gonna junk it. But it has some better parts than my new C640. So I'm thinking rather than just dump the old L500 in the trash can, I can get one of the Thai techs to switch over any superior parts - the ram for instance, can use that extra 4gig of ram in the new C640. So I ask here because I just wondering if anyone can give me some better idea of what could be salvaged. I know I can take out the HDD and fit that into a portable casing and connect it via USB to make an external HDD. I just wonder if there's anything else? Graphics card? Cam?

Which parts in a Toshiba Satellite L500 could be put into a Toshiba Satellite C640?

For example the L500 has 4gig ram; the C640 only 2 gig ram but has a spare slot, so could take the 4gig from the L500 and give the C640 a total of 6gig. Anything else that could be switched over to upgrade the C640?

Although many ignore memory specifications, most motherboards (substitute "laptop" in this case) are certified for specific memory types. If your old and new computers both take the same memory, then you're good. 

If the 4 GB memory from the old computer is a single chip (don't count on that), and is supported in the new computer and the new computer supports 6 GB of memory, then adding the 4 GB memory chip to the 2nd slot in you new computer will give you 6 GB. If the old computer has two 2 GB modules then you can get 4 GB in the new computer. 

The graphics card and cam are likely internal but I'm not that familiar yet with laptops. If the screen,  hard drive, external charger, etc are compatible between computers, those are candidates for saving. 

Although many ignore memory specifications, most motherboards (substitute "laptop" in this case) are certified for specific memory types. If your old and new computers both take the same memory, then you're good. 

If the 4 GB memory from the old computer is a single chip (don't count on that), and is supported in the new computer and the new computer supports 6 GB of memory, then adding the 4 GB memory chip to the 2nd slot in you new computer will give you 6 GB. If the old computer has two 2 GB modules then you can get 4 GB in the new computer. 

The graphics card and cam are likely internal but I'm not that familiar yet with laptops. If the screen,  hard drive, external charger, etc are compatible between computers, those are candidates for saving. 

Thanks for your reply. Screens are different, the old one is 15", new one 14", plus the old screen is on it's way out (one of the main reasons I'm junking the lap) chargers may well be compatible - I'll check this with the Thai techs. HDD will be getting used as an external.

The cam on the old lap is good, cam on new one is shit, but I not sure how easy they could be switched, if at all.

I'll be going up to BKK next week and will take both laps and ask the Thai boys in Seacon Sq what's best for salvaging.

The new lap currently has Win 7 32bit installed, I realize if I bang the ram up to 6gig, them I'll need to reinstall Win 7 64bit, that's not a problem. I believe it is a single chip 4gig on the old lap, so chances are good I'll soon be using 6gig ram on the new one.

Not sure of the exact models you have but just having a look at an L500 it takes DDR2 ram and the C640 takes DDR3 so you would not be able to interchange them I believe.

Not sure of the exact models you have but just having a look at an L500 it takes DDR2 ram and the C640 takes DDR3 so you would not be able to interchange them I believe.

OHH! Thanks for that laocom, guess I'm stuffed then.

As the old Tosh L500 is pretty well worn out I guess I'll just take out the HDD and dump the rest. Is there anything else worth taking out and hanging on to as well? Other than keeping the charger & HDD?

As the old Tosh L500 is pretty well worn out I guess I'll just take out the HDD and dump the rest. Is there anything else worth taking out and hanging on to as well? Other than keeping the charger HDD?

You might want to take out the dvd drive as well.Graphics card unless it is integrated on the motherboard. Not much else in it to salvage I think.

You might want to take out the dvd drive as well.Graphics card unless it is integrated on the motherboard. Not much else in it to salvage I think.

OK cheers.

why not take to the computer place check prices of the memory what you have in older laptop against what you want for the newer one then ask about swapping the old parts for new plus baht because some older more specific memory is way more expensive than the newer styles especially if a larger size block like yours 4gb

you never know unless you ask

3G -Girls,GTi's&Golf,1st came Girls then GOLF GTI MK1and finally Golf the Game.Not sure which I spent more on? Enjoyed all 3 though ;-)
3F's Fuckin',Fuckin'about&Fuckin'up(hopefully loads of 1st&2nd but very little 3rd

why not take to the computer place check prices of the memory what you have in older laptop against what you want for the newer one then ask about swapping the old parts for new plus baht because some older more specific memory is way more expensive than the newer styles especially if a larger size block like yours 4gb

you never know unless you ask

Thanks for your response. After weighing everything up I decided to do nothing. The new Tosh is 2 months old, so there's still 10 months warranty on it, if I go fucking around swapping bits I'll blow the warrant. The ram was the main thing I was interested in but that's not compatible. The new Tosh is fine, so I'll leave it alone. I put the old one away for now as it won't even boot. Sometime soon I'll see a Thai tech and if it's no big deal to get it booted up again I'll give it to tilak and she can give it to her kid to fool around on.

Archived