IGNORED

Lions 2013

kikielee

Team selection is the 30th of this month....before  we start debating the team. Lets look back at the last tour of Australia.  We  started off very poor, with our biggest loss to the Ozzys 30-12. But with Milke Teague reinstated for the last 2 matches, we came out victors - wining the series 2-1....I know 1 man doesn't make a team, but Mike Teague was out of this world, and quite rightly winning man of the series. Being a Welsh man it pains me to say that lol.........Anyway here's a pic of that squad.

Lions-1989_2515114k.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fixtures

June 2013

Sat 1   Barbarians v British and Irish Lions, So Kon Po Stadium, Hong Kong 19:30 local, 11:30 GMT, 12:30 BST    

Wed 5   Force v British and Irish Lions, Perth Oval 18:00 local, 10:00 GMT, 11:00 BST    

Sat 8   Reds v British and Irish Lions, Lang Park, Brisbane 19:30 local, 09:30 GMT, 10:30 BST  

Tue 11   Combined NSW-Queensland Country v British and Irish Lions, Ausgrid Stadium, Newcastle 19:30 local, 09:30 GMT, 10:30 BST     spacer.gif

Sat 15   Waratahs v British and Irish Lions, Sydney Football Stadium 19:30 local, 09:30 GMT, 10:30 BST     spacer.gif

Tue 18   Brumbies v British and Irish Lions, Canberra Stadium 19:30 local, 09:30 GMT, 10:30 BST  

Sat 22   Australia v British and Irish Lions, Lang Park, Brisbane 20:00 local, 10:00 GMT, 11:00 BST  

Tue 25   Melbourne Rebels v British and Irish Lions, Melbourne Rectangular Stadium 19:30 local, 09:30 GMT, 10:30 BST    

Sat 29   Australia v British and Irish Lions, Docklands Stadium, Melbourne 20:00 local, 10:00 GMT, 11:00 BST     spacer.gif

July 2013  

Sat 6   Australia v British and Irish Lions, Stadium Australia, Sydney 20:00 local, 10:00 GMT, 11:00 BST

• 3 weeks later...

The squad....I would have preferred to see O'Conell as captain...very glad to see O;Driscol there, I know he's getting on a bit, but he can still offer so much in a big game...Johnny Wilkinson offered to come along but declined!!

Sam Warburton captain
• No Wilkinson, Robshaw
• Wilkinson invited by Gatland but turned down place
• Stevens, Vunipola, Hartley shock selections

LIONS SQUAD

Full-backs: L Halfpenny, S Hogg, R Kearney
Wings: G North, A Cuthbert, T Bowe, S Maitland
Centres: B O'Driscoll, M Tuilagi, J Roberts, J Davies
Fly-halves: J Sexton, O Farrell
Scrum-halves: C Murray, M Phillips, B Youngs
Props: G Jenkins, C Healy, M Vunipola, A Jones, D Cole, M Stevens
Hookers: D Hartley, R Hibbard, T Youngs
Locks: I Evans, R Gray, AW Jones, P O'Connell, G Parling
Back row: T Croft, T Faletau, J Heaslip, D Lydiate, S O'Brien, J Tipuric, S Warburton (capt).

Solid enough looking squad .  Back row looks an area of strength

Plenty of warm up games , so luck needed to steer clear of injuries .

Mikeyboy

• 4 weeks later...

The Candy shop opposite TMB bank on 2nd Road is selling Lions shirts for 300 baht.

The difference from the official one is in place of the small Addidas logo on right shoulder you have a small HSBC logo.

So no HSBC in the middle.

As well as red, they have versions in blue and white .

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

If you have a good internet connection you can get an Android Dream Box and see all the rugby on Setanta Sports.

An initial payment of 5700 Baht  gets you the box  and HDMI connection and nothing more to pay for 6 months and you can then pay 2000 baht for a further 6 months

So for 150 baht per week you get Super 15, Tri -Nations. British Lions, Home nations rugby  etc

There is also about 14 other sports channels, HD movies, Nature (Animal plannet etc) and other proramms most if not all from True.

It has True Sports 1 and 2 which had the EPL but they lost it for next season.

The only problem is most of the channels have Thai commentary so i would not recommend it unless you are a rugby fan.(also has Aussie rugby leauge.)

Some of the live rugby on Setanta, and they also have repeats.

Super 15 June.jpg

Lions Games.jpg

I fail to understand why the organisers of the Lions tour would schedule the first game in Hong Kong.

Why play a game in an energy sapping environment – I bet the Aussies were laughing as our players were over exerting themselves and losing several kilos in the process.

The itinerary in Australia involves sufficient opportunity to develop a winning team strategy and play warm up matches.

If this was part of the HSBC sponsorship package then I am very disappointed with the Lions management.

I was at the game in HK on Saturday night and the Lions were looking real good but the conditions were very oppressively hot.The Barbarians did not seem to have a lot of big names and the hooker can consider himself very lucky he did not get sent off for his punch early in the first half...very poor form and not in the spirit if the game.The atmosphere was sensational and I would suspect that this will be the start of Barbarian games when the Lions are on the way to either Australia or NZ.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I posted earlier that i had bought an Android Dreambox and was watching the Super 15 and hopefuly the Lions on True Sports Extra 1

However since Sunday i (and others) am unable to connect to the Channel so cannot see any rugby.. I have tried phoning and sent an email to an address they show on TV  but have not received any response.

So if you want the rugby dont buy this box..

Does anyone have a internet link which shows this rugby. BBC IPlayer does not have it.

Watched the Lions beat the Qld Reds last night, good game by both sides in not great conditions.  First try by Lions left me flummoxed, rip the ball away towards your own try line, how can it not be a knock on ?  

That aside, I enjoyed the game, should be some more good 1s down the road.

I thought the Lions backrow seemed remarkably quiet.

Only one scrappy try not good, but about 4 within inches of a try.. Perhaps next time they will have more luck.

Good to see Reds putting out the strongest available team as opposed to the Force. I thought the Force coach was a very selfish and short-sighted for depriving some of his 1st team players from having  a 'once in a lifetime' chance to play against the Lions. If I was one of them i would  not be very pleased with him. He supposedly 'rested' them so they would be fresh for the Waratahs game.

• 2 weeks later...

Billy for all my sport streaming needs in the uk i use vipstand/vipbox.

Hope this helps.Dave

[URL=[url="http://www.babydollspattaya.com/images/baby-dolls-addict.html%5D"]http://www.babydollspattaya.com/images/baby-dolls-addict.html][/url][img]http://www.babydollspattaya.com/images/babydollsaddict.gif[/img][/URL]  

Australia 21 Lions 23

Well done Lions

Cracking game of rugby , just edged by the lions , but Kurtley Beale had 2 chances of winning it for Oz at the end with penalty kicks.

Bruising encounter with quite a few injuries on both teams .

Mikeyboy

Well Done Lions,

The lions are a very good team and it will be an excellent battle moving forward to the next couple of tests, Aussies definitely had their chance, had a horror run of injuries and kicked poorly throughout but still in it to the end.

Excellent debut for Israel Folau, 2 try's and saved one as well.

Hopefully an Aussie win next week in Melbourne and a thriller to finish the series.

That was too close - if the Aussies took their penalities then it would have been different.

Melbourne is going to be a difficult game as the Aussies will refuse to lose - I can see Sydney being the decider but I hope I am wrong

Great game...both sides played pretty good.Israel Falou was impressive but I think that the best Australian player was Will Genia...he was everywhere.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

George North caught a kick well in his own  half and ran thro' the Wallabies to score a brilliant solo try. So why did the Lions  not pass the ball out to him more often, I cant remember him getting a decent pass from a three quarter movement.

Lions were lucky with the Wallabies missing 5 kicks at goal and five players going off injured.. May not be so lucky next time.

George North caught a kick well in his own  half and ran thro' the Wallabies to score a brilliant solo try. So why did the Lions  not pass the ball out to him more often, I cant remember him getting a decent pass from a three quarter movement.

Lions were lucky with the Wallabies missing 5 kicks at goal and five players going off injured.. May not be so lucky next time.

As in most sports you make your own luck to a degree . The missed kicks at goal were down to pressure which is a huge part of the game.

Yes , Australia were unlucky with the injuries.

Mikeyboy

How many point did the welsh guys score ??  :Fantastic:

Australia 21 Wales 23 (Lions)

Dayo...

they were very lucky imo, if Australia had a kicker like halfpenny it would have been a different result. The refs interpretation of the rules hampered the lions especially ODrisscol. 2nd test the aussies will be ready for North & co. Genia is an outstanding player wish he had a welsh grandmother lol. . Its going to be a very close series and if Deans brings in Quiad cooper the will have big problems. Good luck to  WELSH LIONS

next two refs will suit lions better..

its not over yet

aussies very unlucky

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

they were very lucky imo, if Australia had a kicker like halfpenny it would have been a different result. The refs interpretation of the rules hampered the lions especially ODrisscol. 2nd test the aussies will be ready for North & co. Genia is an outstanding player wish he had a welsh grandmother lol. . Its going to be a very close series and if Deans brings in Quiad cooper the will have big problems. Good luck to  WELSH LIONS

why not they play the Welsh National Anthem (hen wlad fy nhadau)  before the kick off 

Dayo...

If they Welsh guys would of scored 23 points last week against Japan 

they would of got a draw.        :hello09:

And on the sixth day God Created Bobby Moore

If they Welsh guys would of scored 23 points last week against Japan 

they would of got a draw.        :hello09:

if England would have beat us by 16 points in the 6 nations they would have won the grand slam ....... :Finger5:

Sorry mate i seen the west ham logo, and i guessed you was from England.

Dayo...

if England would have beat us by 16 points in the 6 nations they would have won the grand slam ....... :Finger5:

Sorry mate i seen the west ham logo, and i guessed you was from England.

1 point win would have done it , but Wales were inspired that night .

Worthy winners of 6 nations , after a very poor start against Ireland .

Mikeyboy

Archived