IGNORED

phone top up scam 7/11

Hi all

Couple of days ago bought some top up for my phone in 7/11,also bought some other stuff ( can of beer I think) walked out of the shop and realised I had the receipt for the beer and credit but not the actual paper slip with the top up number on. Had only just exited the door and walked back in and mentioned that I never got the slip and the guy just dismissed it commenting that I check the bin by the door.  Anyway was only a 100 baht so just left it.

Today I again go into another 7/11 and again bought a beer funny enough and  100 baht top up credit..... Well the guy hands over the change with the receipt and walks away ( same scenario as before),  I stood at the check out and before moving realised I never had the slip!!!  I called him back and asked him where is the slip and he then took it from the receipt roll on the cash till and gave it me.and the look on his face was one of being caught out...... Tosser

Obviously just pocketing the top up slips fro themselves...

So just watch out for this, twice in a week 

i always let them top it up for me, never had problems.

yeah i just get it straight on my phone... no slip required

Yeah, top up on the spot for me too.  But no huge surprise they have found yet ANOTHER scam.  

Recently I have bought 300 Baht top up and entered it myself...I pay the 300 and get the cash register receit with the numbers....Once the SMS comes through it shows a top up of 100 Baht not the 300 I payed for....

Happened 3 times in the past 6 weeks same thing...I see it as trying to rip me off for 200 Baht...Same with Gas Stations..You Have to watch the Meter on the pump or assume you will be taken for a ride

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

I think you should be more mindfull

Thanks for that excellent piece of advice lol...  :GoldenSmile1:

I for one will be very mindful as of now, By the way it happened at two separate 7/11 's both in Jomtien area and both times served by a male..

I always take the slip walk to one side and top up in the store. Sorted.

I always take the slip walk to one side and top up in the store. Sorted.

I too Top up inside the store and wait for the SMS to say how much went into my account..This is How I catch it but many don't do this..Carry the slip to there room but to late to get it sorted once your gone..

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

• 2 weeks later...

When there is a queue these people (mostly Russians) are a pain. It takes time to top up while other people are waiting to be served.

Buy online.

At the 7-Elevens, they have machines where you enter your number into a keypad and are able to verify the accuracy before confirming.

I've never had a problem with this, even when I got the receipt, because they've always handed me the 14-digit code right away.  The online method is so universal now that the paper-printout, I thought, was obsolete.

Buy online using the touchpad.  Within one two seconds, I receive an SMS with my additional credit and balance on my phone.

TL;DR

Tell them you want to "Buy Online"

Recently I have bought 300 Baht top up and entered it myself...

When you get that Kasikorn account set up you can just do it online.   :GoldenSmile1:

Yes, I forgot to mention that.  I have a K-Bank account as well.

You can Top-up your mobile phone at any K-Bank ATM machine and pay for it right from the funds in your account.

The Online touchpad at 7-Eleven is equally convenient.

TL;DR 

Three Options:

1. Online touchpad - 7-Eleven
  2. K-Bank, transfer funds to your mobile phone via ATM
  3. Internet

Yes, I forgot to mention that.  I have a K-Bank account as well.

You can Top-up your mobile phone at any K-Bank ATM machine and pay for it right from the funds in your account.

The Online touchpad at 7-Eleven is equally convenient.

1. Internet

Online from home (or wherever) and stuff ATMs and 7-Elevens.............not the Mod obviously.   :hello09:

If there is a queue behind you it is not reasonable to expect the staff to take the time to top up your phone.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

If there is a queue behind you it is not reasonable to expect the staff to take the time to top up your phone.

Most times there is more staff behind the counter then customers in front.

When there is a queue these people (mostly Russians) are a pain. It takes time to top up while other people are waiting to be served

mostly there is more staff behind the counter then customers in front and it doesn't take them a minute...... And what's your hurry anyway? Late for work?

I've never had a problem with charging the phone. I'll have to recharge the girl at the cash desk and wait for confirmation. After paying. The phone is good to recharge the morning and shops in remote places, then you are almost alone in the store.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

My gf used to work at a Family Mart and she said that there is always a delay from when the cashier enters the transaction on the machine, to it being verified and the coupon being printed. This can be over a minute, sometimes.

The staff are trained to serve others whilst this takes place.

Phil

See you at Le Pub, soi Diamond.

Le Pub Facebook Page

Le Pub YouTube Channel

Thanks for that excellent piece of advice lol...  :GoldenSmile1:

I for one will be very mindful as of now, By the way it happened at two separate 7/11 's both in Jomtien area and both times served by a male..

Try to be more vigilante 555.

Plenty of smart ass staff in 7/11, who are ready to try and scam an unsuspecting tourist by this or padding your bill

Advice get your top up when you enter and then go shopping for your bottle of beer, i know it means going to counter twice but not normally q's

Try to be more vigilante 555.

Plenty of smart ass staff in 7/11, who are ready to try and scam an unsuspecting tourist by this or padding your bill

Advice get your top up when you enter and then go shopping for your bottle of beer, i know it means going to counter twice but not normally q's

I used to buy my top-up from 7-Elevens on the way home from a night out in WS and I was never scammed.   :Beer:

Sneaky cunt for trying to rip u off. But I can't for the life of me understand why ppl need to get the staff to top it up for them. It's so easy and the directions are on ur receipt.

Lived here for years always use my local 7/11 never had a problem with them maybe you live in town with loads of drunken holiday makers!

Just lucky man to be here with so many lovely girls to choose from.

:ThumbUp6:

Either use the "online" machine in 7-11 or just in card form where you need to scratch away to reveal the pin.

Is it possible to use your European credit card online to make a top-up.
As an example i can say that in China, almost nothing is possible with a European credit card. I assume itt's different in LOS.

Sometimes the worst decisions bring us to the best places

See my trip reports    First time out there  Second trip report   Third trip report 2016

Archived