IGNORED

How to upload pictures to a commercial website

tlcwaterfall

Can some learned BM please help me. I have a friend who has a website for his bar and he wants to upload pictures to his website. The guy who set up the website has now moved on and is no longer contactable.

Any one that can give me some useful and correct advice please?

Thanks in advance.

He should be able to access his site "back office" through his ISP using his username and password and make all the changes he want to. As i do not know in which system the site was designed i am unable to give certain information, but it should be accessable through a FTP - providing he does have the usewrname and password.

Everyone has the right to my opinion

You said "commercial" - Does the person have a content management system (cms) running it? Wordpress? Drupal? EE? (Yes, I build with these and I'm no longer amazed by the number of people who don't know what the hell they've paid for...)

If the fellow gets access to the website's file directory (the webroot) and finds an index.php file in the directory (even if there's a index.html file too), I'd suggest not to touch anything until someone with a bit of technical knowledge can look it over.

If it's only index.html and an images directory, which is standard web 1.0 development, the odds are he could move files around easily.   

Reason being that many cms's set the file permissions and/or ownership the file when it's running - moving them could change this and stop the site. There's often a database running it. In that case if it's managed, there might be a web-login/password somewhere that they can use to change parts of the site (texts, images, add pages or stories, etc) without touching the programming. 

His ISP should be able to at least tell him what's running there. The ISP is his first stop. 

You said "commercial" - Does the person have a content management system (cms) running it? Wordpress? Drupal? EE? (Yes, I build with these and I'm no longer amazed by the number of people who don't know what the hell they've paid for...)

If the fellow gets access to the website's file directory (the webroot) and finds an index.php file in the directory (even if there's a index.html file too), I'd suggest not to touch anything until someone with a bit of technical knowledge can look it over.

If it's only index.html and an images directory, which is standard web 1.0 development, the odds are he could move files around easily.   

Reason being that many cms's set the file permissions and/or ownership the file when it's running - moving them could change this and stop the site. There's often a database running it. In that case if it's managed, there might be a web-login/password somewhere that they can use to change parts of the site (texts, images, add pages or stories, etc) without touching the programming. 

His ISP should be able to at least tell him what's running there. The ISP is his first stop. 

I Agree!

Working or changing anything build with CMS is not for beginners. I have worked with Joomla! which is similar to Wordpress and Drupla,

If you do have a full back-up and a work copy on your PC (which will have to be set up as a virtual server) you can make all the canges you want, and when everything is ok and running perfectly, you can access your  site hosted by your ISP using FTP (build-in in Joomla! and the virtual server installed on your PC). You can then delete the database from your hosted site, make a new (empty) database with the same name as the original, and then upload all the new files to that database and the site should look and work just as you want.

Seems to be quite simple? - dont be fooled - it is not simple at all!

So to the OP if you or your friend are not familiar with CMS - ask for help from a professional. Chances you will make it by your own are - at best - very slim.

Everyone has the right to my opinion

Thank you to all that have replied.

I will let my friend know he needs to contact his ISP .

Archived