Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Where can you hire a mobile phone?

YBSHY82

Hi, I read somewhere on this board before that you can hire a phone with a local number for your trip, but I cannot find that information now.

Can anybody help me please as I was hoping to switch off my personal mobile while in Patts, but it would be handy if I could get a bunch of phones for me & my mates and we can contact one another over there.

Thanks!

Seriously why why why would you hire one when you can buy one for 500 baht.

SIM cards are cheap as well.

TukCom on Pattaya Tai by the branch of Kaisikorn Bank. Horrible Pink coloured building. 2nd Floor (bearing in mind the Thais designate the "Ground Floor" as 1st Floor.

They will have a huge choice but the bog standard Nokia is about 500 baht. They will sell you a SIM and set up the language to English if that is your preferred choice. Best you all get a sim from the same operator (DTAC, AIS etc.) and you can get free calls and texts within that network for a month for about 200 baht!

Live for the moment. Tomorrow may not come.

Well in that case I wouldn't hire...where can I buy one for 500 baht?

Big supermarkets like Big C and Tesco or, as others have said, Tukcom. Sim cards cost around 50 baht

You know if you have an unlocked phone, which the US doesn't have, you don't even need to buy a phone just go to the 7-11 and buy a sim card and a minutes card and swap your sim card with the Thai one.

I have a US IPhone 4 from Sprint.  I called them a few weeks  before my trip and they unlocked it for use with a foreign carrier.  Right before the exit at BKK, I bought a SIM card and I was set.  Went I got home, I put the Sprint SIM card back in, stowed the Thai one for the next trip and no problems with the phone on either end.

contact Sprint Worldwide Tech support at 817-698-4199 option 3

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

All good advice. 

TukCom is more phone oriented than a Big C or such.

S C

That's interesting because Sprint phones are NOT GSM. How the heck did you use outside of the US? Only T-Mobile and ATT are GSM.

TukCom on Pattaya Tai by the branch of Kaisikorn Bank. Horrible Pink coloured building. 2nd Floor (bearing in mind the Thais designate the "Ground Floor" as 1st Floor.
They will have a huge choice but the bog standard Nokia is about 500 baht. They will sell you a SIM and set up the language to English if that is your preferred choice. Best you all get a sim from the same operator (DTAC, AIS etc.) and you can get free calls and texts within that network for a month for about 200 baht!

Ha, ha, in Canada Ground fl. could be designated as 1st. fl. too, but also as Lobby or a Street Level.

+1

Seriously why why why would you hire one when you can buy one for 500 baht.

SIM cards are cheap as well.

The only problem with the cheap phones is you have to go back to the old way of sending texts and I find it drives me crazy and takes forever. Especially if you are pissed half the time. <br />Tik at Dancewatchers down in Jomtien hires phones out but not sure if she only does it for tenants in her condos. Check their website if u want and email her. She is helpful.

Hi,

If you are not already in Thailand then Google HolidayPhone. You can pick up a Thai SIM card before you leave. The good thing about it is that you use your existing handset and still receive calls from your original no. But you make calls on your Thai no. Also, you still retain all of the facilities of your home handset.

Hi do wat I do just have yer phone unlocked and buy a 1 to call SIM card and once in in it is very cheap to use so you do not need to buy a phone ok......

That's interesting because Sprint phones are NOT GSM. How the heck did you use outside of the US? Only T-Mobile and ATT are GSM.

The Iphone 4S supports both GSM and CDMA.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1163545/sprint.html

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

Map for Tukcom

Tukcom is the way to go. You can get a super cheap phone for as little as 500 baht or a knock off smart phone for 1500-2000.

All good advice. 

TukCom is more phone oriented than a Big C or such.

S C

I beg to differ, Tesco and Big C have much better deals on phones than Tukcom, where vendors try to rip off the tourists.

The "Thai price" in Tukcom is normally equal to prices obtainable in Big C or Tesco without negociation.

Also, the stalls in Tukcom are here today, and when you need assistance or warranty repairs, the stall owners changed.

Archived