Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Exchange rates

Honcber

In the Bm's opinion is it best to exchange currency before going to LOS or when you get there . Have looked at Bangkok Bank and TMB sites and the exchange rate is far better than the UK rates . Don't really want to carry large amounts of GBP so its got to be travelers cheques and credit cards . Whats your thoughts and experiences ???

first time i went i use Tchecks and cash (little bit)... no cards for me as i was worry about loosing it or having it copied....

change your money when you get there.. never before...

Edited by PE.GOB

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

For UK currency always change your money in Thailand,you get 6 or 7 baht more to the pound than in UK.£100 at 7baht extra on each £1 is 700baht or £10 approx thats what your losing changing it in UK

"Once you've gone asian you'll never go caucasian"

They are bloody good rates . I was in town today ( Wakefield UK cold wet windy F*****g miserable ) the average was around 63bht to £1.00 . thankyou for the tips ... Now were to spend my extra bahts. Should i spend it on beer and girls or just waste it :o

• 1 month later...

You're very lucky

In the USA,,,,,can't go through Citibank or Bank of America although they have large facilities in Bangkok.....One isn't allowed to draw from their US account.

If one uses a credit card (Amex, Visa, Master Charge,,,EXCEPT CAPITAL ONE), one is charged a 3% forex conversion fee,,,,,and if done so using an ATM,,,it's an additional 3% (including Capital One)......

No way to get around it.......

The only way to avoid those cursed fees is to bring cash.

I always seem to get a better rate if I change my money in Thailand... works out to quite a difference than what my bank Barclays is offering.

• 2 weeks later...

So, clearly the best place to exchange is in Thailand.

Is there a huge difference between:

The airport

A standard bank

One of those booths/kiosks

?????

Edited by Posankka

I think most places are very similar ,the airport last time seemed as good as any .ATM cards tend to give good rates but most cards have added fees unless you have one similar to nationwide UK which gives very good rates without fees .

If you have a large amount, say $2000 USD, you may get a little better rate inside the bank. For sure you will get a better rate in Thailand than at home, subsidised rate in LOS to keep us quality tourists coming.

I understand its better to exchange your money whilst you are out in Patts, but my question (the search button is not my friend lol) is how much is it going to cost me to exchange?

eg

Say I was going to take £2000

Sterling Travellers cheques will cost me £20 to buy in this country and 8 baht???? to exchange each cheque in Patts (I know its recommended to take them in larger denominations to cut down on fees)

UK £'s will cost me £0 in this country but what will I be charged to exchange them in Patts?

Bangkok bank says the buying rate today is 64.37 so based on that, to exchange actual £'s do they give you less (how much less?) or charge a commission (how much commission)?

I read on another site that the charge for cashing a $500 traveler's check is the same as cashing a $100 check. Is this true?

• 2 months later...

My first post on this site. Booked my first trip to Patts late April. I've got two simple questions: are there any any VISA/PLUS system ATM's around Pattaya? Is it a problem to exchange USD American Express travellers cheques into baht and how much banks charge per cheque? Promise a report after my Soi 6 experience. Thanks

My first post on this site. Booked my first trip to Patts late April. I've got two simple questions: are there any any VISA/PLUS system ATM's around Pattaya? Is it a problem to exchange USD American Express travellers cheques into baht and how much banks charge per cheque? Promise a report after my soi 6 experience. Thanks

ATM's everywhere in Patts. US$ travellers cheques changed easily. Its usually around B30 per cheque so only bring large denomination cheques with you.