Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thai prepaid mobile & data info - AIS, True & DTAC

Bernie Num Nums

I found some useful Telco info in english for my upcoming Pattaya sojourn which I thought I would share.

"Currently Thailand is well underway with it’s move to mobile and 3G data usage.  True Move and AIS are both in 4G tests and True Move plans to roll out 300 4G base stations in central Bangkok, rising to 2,000 bases in 15 major cities later this year.  Some experts believe the number of 3G-enabled phones will account for at least 35% of mobile phone sales in Thailand this year.  With a 117% penetration rate that is about 1/3 of the population or 20 million handsets.  This number could double by 2014.

Data packages for all three telcos are comparably priced, coming in at 700-1000 baht per month for unlimited packages.   The common method for all 3 networks to dissuade heavy data users is to allow 3GB-7GB of data per month at the highest speeds, then throttle speeds to EDGE levels once the user has exceed his quota.    This method demands the user estimate their monthly data usage in order to avoid going past their allotment and dealing with slower speeds.

While there are laws on the books that buyers of prepaid SIM phone number cards register and show ID, currently the rules are not being enforced and SIM cards from all networks can be purchased registration free.  With a record high of 22 million tourists last year, most will continue to find purchase of a local phone number easier and cheaper than a roaming plan.   Some tourists at major airports may still find the free True Move tourist sim available.

More people are relying on their smart phone for internet and as well as providing access to other devices as an access point.  All three networks provide WiFI with most of their 3G data packages as a value added service, but the number of True access points far exceed the install base of AIS and DTAC wifi access points.   Major airports and malls may have all three wifi networks, but True’s wifi points can be found all over major cities.

In practical terms, heavy data applications like Facetime, Youtube, Skype and Tango all work over the 3G networks, just not everywhere and not all the time.  For example, while a What’s App or iMessage text may stall or fail be be delivered on crowded mass transit network in Bangkok, there are areas and times where a Youtube video will load faster on 3G than a normal ADSL network.

AIS still enjoys the subscriber leadership, however TrueMove H now has more 3G subscribers.   DTAC has made an aggressive 3G roll out, and now has more 3G towers than AIS.   AIS is also suffering from overload on it’s network, currently frustrating many users.   If only considering speed, True Move H may have the current advantage, but when considering customer service  ease of use, ease of top up, validity, and additional services – each network has their advantages and there is not a clear winner for cellular data.

DTAC has 25 million subscribers, Advanced Info Service has 34 million and True Move 20 million.  Statistics show that the average user expects to have 3.5 mobile devices in 2013, rising to 8.5 in the next three years.  The number of third-generation (3G) wireless broadband users in Thailand will more than double this year, increasing to 25 million as mobile operators compete in the promising new field.  Government allocation or hinderance of allocation of the 2100- 2600- and 2300- megahertz frequency should be the main hold up in the move to 4G speeds.

By labeling their 3G roll out a “test” True Move made significant gains against DTAC and AIS.  We may see a similar move buy one or all the networks on a 4G roll out.   This means even with stagnating government bureaucracy, we still may see a 4G roll out in 2013."
        You can never take back ......
  • A moment after it's missed
  • A word after it's said
  • Time after it's been wasted

• 2 weeks later...

I guess that is what they are for.

You can never take back ......
  • A moment after it's missed
  • A word after it's said
  • Time after it's been wasted

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The first time I stay Thailand, I was looking for a thai Sim card with 3g data.

I bought my Sim card in a 7-11 shop at bkk for around 200baht. When I putted the simcard from Truemove in my phone, I had 5 message with all thai instructions for set the right settings in my phone for internet. So i went to a real Truemove shop, and after 30 minutes of trying the shop assistent told me it was not compatible with my phone, and he send me to the AIS store, at the Paragorn shoppingcenter in BKK.

After paying 800baht, I had a good simcard with 3G internet with no limits for 1 month.

Perfect.

Now I always go to the AIS shop.

What is the best deal right now for å big data (3g) user? Gonna stay in Thailand for 16 days, mostly Pattaya but also a 4-5 day trip to Koh Chang or Northern Thailand. Have iPhone 4  with micro SIM. 

I will also share my connection with my macbook so need "unlimited" data packages.

Is True Move still the best? 

Archived