IGNORED

Are Farang Police Volunteers Above the Law? – Reader’s Letter

Pattaya One

South Pattaya Road Crime Scene.

Dear Editor,

Today on South Pattaya Road I smiled when I saw a tourist police volunteer strutting around in his uniform, obviously proud of himself. OK, give him the benefit of the doubt for a minute. He might not have been the joke he seeemed, parading around in a uniform in the daytime - maybe he was on his way to Soi 9 or something, so let that one slide.

But now he's drawn so much attention to hisself that when he gets on his motorbike and rides off  down the road, I and all the other foreigners having a coffee nearby start to laugh when we see he isn't wearing a motorbike helmet! He hasn't even got one on his bike.

Why is that? Are they above the law now?

Surely, if they are in such a position of authority and trust they should be held to account to even more harsh penatlies for breaking the law, to set an example for the rest of us mortals, not riding around the roads so blatant in their breaking of normal traffic laws.

Yours Sincerely,

M Furman.

InPattayaNow?d=yIl2AUoC8zA InPattayaNow?d=qj6IDK7rITs
-skFlJJ69po

View the full article

When the Thai cops start getting pinched for not wearing helmets....................what the hell, nothing is going to happen!

"If it feels good, just keep doing it!"

i even see thai cops without helmets. was going to take a pic but thought better of it..

I once got hit with a Thai cop's helmet, he had it on but didn't fasten the straps, I was riding behind him and the wind blew his helmet off, damn thing blew back and hit me...lol

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

I love that part about "strutting" because that is exactly what they do, kind of like playing Mr. Dressup or some such silliness. Never seen one on a bike though, it's probably too hard to stick out your chest.

Mr Furman has had a bee in his bonnet ever since Brazilians became fashionable.

Anyone can be a volunteer cop................they are not ex police................indeed the only one I know is a crim...............

Anyone can be a volunteer cop................they are not ex police................indeed the only one I know is a crim...............

Ha ha just like the cops at home then

MIKE

well if its the same idiot i saw he not only had no helmet on but he did a left hand turn from the outside right lane through a red light

go figure

thats nothing I sat in the swiss bar in soi diamond for about 2 hours one night and 2 cops were there with johnny the owner and drank a bottle of johnny walker red then got onto a motor bike both rider and pillion had no helmets on but they did wear their police caps.

we all where no helmets at some point,   I do think they should lead by example,  but all these minor things is what makes this a better place than the UK,  if we carry on complaining, it will be a nanny state sooner than we think.

I was fined for not wearing a helmet in Vientiane, by a motocycle cop who didnt wear one himself.. He had a cool Elvis style hair doe though...Would be a shame to ruin it..

"Man...Because he sacrifies his health in order to make money. Then sacrifies money to recuperate his health. And then his so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if hes never going to die, and then dies having never really lived "

The volunteers working on Walking Street are a disgrace to all foreigners living

here ....

They are NOT there to help the foreigners, they are there to help the Thais ...

On numerous occasion I have personally seen them beating drunk tourists, who where

either hand cuffed or sitting on the sidewalk. Once I tried to film it and other farang

volunteers threatened me and other by-standers ...

And the two times I asked them for help they 1) started talking in thai to the Thai

police that i was making the issues up, bad for them I speak fluently thai and was

able to set them straight; 2) I was told to go to soi 9 and file a complaint there (a

thai vendor on WS shorted changed me). I have not once in my 16 years here seen

them do ANY good ...

One night the cops closed sukhumvit half way and where doing vehicle checks.

It was the first time I saw a foreigner traffic cop. He was in uniform, but it did not say

volunteer - so not sure what his status was. He was with a thai cop and basically

they wanted to see registration, insurance and asked to look inside my car. Everybody

was polite and it was just a quick check and go ...

luudee

Whenever I have seen any aggro in WS the volunteer show boys have been no where to be seen....chocolate tea pots.

Whenever I have seen any aggro in WS the volunteer show boys have been no where to be seen....chocolate tea pots.

What do you expect ? Those Fat old guys can only punch handcuffed drunk tourists ...

It's all about show off, and power trips, I bet most of them have  been bullied all their

lives so this is their pay-back to society ...

luudee

All cops world wide are above the law and the citizens. You never seen a cop speed in you own country or drink and drive, it's part of the job. But I still like the idea of volunteer cops who speak my language out there. If you would rather deal with Thai police I'm sure they will assist. :22600584-Th:

I guess some of you are jealous .......i think so.......

T...........................

On numerous occasion I have personally seen them beating drunk tourists, who where

either hand cuffed or sitting on the sidewalk. ..................

What do you expect ? Those Fat old guys can only punch handcuffed drunk tourists ...

It's all about show off, and power trips, I bet most of them have  been bullied all their

lives so this is their pay-back to society ...

luudee

Are you OK out there?   :Think1:

Tourist Police:

I have never seen them be anymore than courteous and helpful to the tourists whenever they can, i certainly would not want the job, have not the time nor patience to deal with some of the drunken stupid farang out there!

The volunteers working on walking street are a disgrace to all foreigners living

here ....

They are NOT there to help the foreigners, they are there to help the Thais ...

either hand cuffed or sitting on the sidewalk. Once I tried to film it and other farang

volunteers threatened me and other by-standers ...

And the two times I asked them for help they 1) started talking in thai to the Thai

police that i was making the issues up, bad for them I speak fluently thai and was

able to set them straight; 2) I was told to go to soi 9 and file a complaint there (a

thai vendor on WS shorted changed me). I have not once in my 16 years here seen

them do ANY good ...

One night the cops closed sukhumvit half way and where doing vehicle checks.

It was the first time I saw a foreigner traffic cop. He was in uniform, but it did not say

volunteer - so not sure what his status was. He was with a thai cop and basically

they wanted to see registration, insurance and asked to look inside my car. Everybody

was polite and it was just a quick check and go ...

luudee

Beating drunk tourists?

I've never seen them doing anything like that.

Tourist Police:

I have never seen them be anymore than courteous and helpful to the tourists whenever they can, i certainly would not want the job, have not the time nor patience to deal with some of the drunken stupid farang out there!

Not a big fan of them but agreed.

:)

My understanding was that they were not Tourist Police but volunteers there to aid the police when farangs are involved..eg help with mainly language problems.

Why they have the need to wear belts with handcuffs, batons etc is beyond me as that is what the real Tourist Police are for.

I think the original idea for them to assist police in a limited capacity was a good one but now there are to many egos involved with them.

Also a change of uniform would be better for them to make them more "friendly orientated".

cheers

Yes agree........them old guys carrying batons handcuffs etc is a bit ridicilous..........Dads Army.

Archived