Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

O2UK - TU Go Smartphone app

7-Eleven

I just downloaded this (free) to my iPhone & iPad.

I get rubbish signal in the house so this allows me to use my wifi to make calls from my own mobile number.

It might be handy to circumvent international roaming charges as well when in Thailand?

Dunno if you still get the international ringing tones when ringing you abroad with this app enabled? Could help those that are trying to dodge her in doors!

There is an article about it on Gizmodo here.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/03/o2s-tu-go-app/

A very clever app!

It would be better if they could then make free calls/texts!

But in a poor signal area like mine, it'll make some difference I guess!

Thanks for posting!

Bill

I read the article and it sounds like a great app!

Lets hope an Aussie network copies this idea and I will do it for sure.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

If you use a smart phone and cal someone back home who have a smart phone, use Viber it's available for iphone nokia and android. Viber let you make phone calls true the Internet (voice over IP) for free and send free txt messages too.

Works very well even on a 3g network.

Only downside both callers need to have Viber installed on there phone and being connected on the internet true wifi or 3G mobile data.

Soi 6 professional butterfly

If you use a smart phone and cal someone back home who have a smart phone, use Viber it's available for iphone nokia and android. Viber let you make phone calls true the Internet (voice over IP) for free and send free txt messages too.

Only downside both callers need to have Viber installed on there phone and being connected on the internet true wifi or 3G mobile data.

Yeah, there are plenty of services like that. Cheers.

The difference with this is that I can call out from my iPad using my phones number and if someone calls the phone number the ipad rings as well.

I read the article and it sounds like a great app!

Lets hope an Aussie network copies this idea and I will do it for sure.

Lets hope so... They only have it enabled for pay monthly customers who arn't on business tariffs over here at the moment.

I'm guessing you can't use Google Voice in the same way people can in the US?

I just downloaded this (free) to my iPhone & iPad.

I get rubbish signal in the house so this allows me to use my wifi to make calls from my own mobile number.

It might be handy to circumvent international roaming charges as well when in Thailand?

Dunno if you still get the international ringing tones when ringing you abroad with this app enabled? Could help those that are trying to dodge her in doors!

There is an article about it on Gizmodo here.

Many thanks for this.  I've downloaded it but yet to try it.  Hope it works well because, like you, I get rubbish reception at home.  

Interestingly, with older 'phones I don't have that problem.  It seems that 'phone quality is low down the priority list of mobile makers these days!

I use skype, same same but different

i use viber free calls text and send pics

softlad

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I'll load the App down on to my iphone and ipad.

I like the comment about people taking calls on their ipad glued to their ear. There will be people out there who think its cool. Well, each to their own. I'm sure I must have some prat habits ..........but I won't be disclosing them here because I'm too embarrassed and secondly it would take too long.

Can I extend the conversation a bit. When I'm next in Patts I intend to purchase a Thai Sim. I have a spare iphone handset and the aim is to use it whilst in Thailand to keep call costs down. Is there any alternative to this whereby I can continue to use my UK handset and number without ramping up call, text and Internet costs.

Any ideas gratefully received.

I use skype, same same but different

And this isn’t some kind of Skype service — the calls and texts are ‘coming’ from the O2 phone number, and if you call or text the phone number, it’ll route through to any devices running the app. The phone calls and texts are pushed straight from O2′s servers to the device, rather than using some kind of workaround like MightyText-style services are forced to.

Can I extend the conversation a bit. When I'm next in Patts I intend to purchase a Thai Sim. I have a spare iphone handset and the aim is to use it whilst in Thailand to keep call costs down. Is there any alternative to this whereby I can continue to use my UK handset and number without ramping up call, text and Internet costs.

Any ideas gratefully received.

I downloaded the app on to my 'phone earlier in the week, when I was in the UK.

I am now in Patts.  I have removed my o2 SIM card from the 'phone and replaced it with my Thai SIM card.  However, I am still receiving text messages sent to my UK number.  

I think I could receive 'phone calls to my UK number as well if anyone called me.  Furthermore, I think I could make 'phone calls at the same cost as if I were in the UK (i.e. free, if within my monthly allowance).  That all is provided I'm connected to the internet.  This could be a bit revolutionary!

However, if I'm connected to the internet through the Thai mobile network rather than through wi-fi, I guess there is some cost because of data usage.

If anyone thinks I've got this wrong, I'd be grateful if they would post.

Archived