IGNORED

meaung มึง and guu �ู

Sofa King High

meaung มึง and guu กู  (you and I)

Is it ok to use these words with friends/people you are rather familiar with or are they only used if you want to be rude?

Use of words like this requires that you have an extremely high understanding of the subtleties of the language.

If you have to ask, you do not have the level of understanding

It is best to be aware of these words, but never use them.

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

Probably solid advice considering my main interest in learning was to appear a bit more proficient than I am. Don't want to risk offending anyone though! Thanks.

Loong is spot on.

I've only heard these words used in context about Thais with serious problems with each other. 

I guess it would kind of be the equivalent of saying "Hey asshole" in a heated argument.

Agree with Loong's post, but just to expand a little bit:

กู มึง are used with friends as well, but you have to belong to the "in-crowd" to use them. Just being friends isn't enough.

So you'd have to be schoolmates, drinking buddies, going mongering together, etc. to use them safely. If you use them with anyone outside that circle it is very offensive and possible fighting-talk.

I personally don't have any Thai friends that I'm that close with, and even if you do chances are you will still be considered an outsider (being a farang).

Maybe you can compare it a bit with black guys calling each other n*gga. Among themselves it's usually no problem, but if a white guy steps in trying to be cool and says "yo n*gga wassup!?" Mmm, well I think you can imagine what would happen next...

Best thing to do is to listen closely to what pronouns they use with you and just follow that. Plenty of options ranging between the polite ผม คุณ and the very impolite กู มึง

ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวก กูเกิลทรานสเลทไม่สามารถแปลข้อมูลนี้ได้ 

Maybe

you can compare it a bit with black guys calling each other n*gga.

Among themselves it's usually no problem, but if a white guy steps in

trying to be cool and says "yo n*gga wassup!?" Mmm, well I think you can

imagine what would happen next...

Excellent analogy.

Stick to polite Thai and don't try to be too clever. You may come unstuck!

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

Excellent analogy.

Stick to polite Thai and don't try to be too clever. You may come unstuck!

Yes stay away from the real rude stuff but staying polite is hardly going to make

people laugh and really like you, got to try to fit in with the local lingo 

or you will never ever be on the inside

I spent quite some time with thai mates, hanging out, riding dirt bikes, racing,

traveling, eating and drinking, trying to crack jokes.

Member since Dec 06.

meaung มึง and guu กู  (you and I)

Is it ok to use these words with friends/people you are rather familiar with or are they only used if you want to be rude?

Very impolite and rarely used unless Thais are very friendly, dont use them but I think you know already

Posted Image

Agree with Loong's post, but just to expand a little bit:

กู มึง are used with friends as well, but you have to belong to the "in-crowd" to use them. Just being friends isn't enough.

So you'd have to be schoolmates, drinking buddies, going mongering together, etc. to use them safely. If you use them with anyone outside that circle it is very offensive and possible fighting-talk.

I personally don't have any Thai friends that I'm that close with, and even if you do chances are you will still be considered an outsider (being a farang).

Maybe you can compare it a bit with black guys calling each other n*gga. Among themselves it's usually no problem, but if a white guy steps in trying to be cool and says "yo n*gga wassup!?" Mmm, well I think you can imagine what would happen next...

Best thing to do is to listen closely to what pronouns they use with you and just follow that. Plenty of options ranging between the polite ผม คุณ and the very impolite กู มึง

Haha, thanks for a solid explanation of the parameters slick. <--- Laughing about your analogy, don't think I'll be trying this one out any time soon if it's at all comparable to that!

Very Close friends ( and even then . Use it while joking ).

Close family members. You cam use this anytime u want . It's just a rude way of saying me and you .

U say these words to any other Thais and they will get pissed quick

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

Very Close friends ( and even then . Use it while joking ).

Close family members. You cam use this anytime u want . It's just a rude way of saying me and you .

U say these words to any other Thais and they will get pissed quick

Agreed Gobby and we all know it does not take much to piss a Thai off :GoldenSmile1:

Posted Image

These words I'll rarely use. I'll sometime joke with my GF using goo & mueng, obviously just fooling around and laughing while using the words. I have also used these words a couple of times if a Thai man is really pissing me off over something and I want him to just shut the fuck up. But you have to be careful, there are sometimes you can get away with it; and sometimes when you'll cop a shellacking.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

Archived