IGNORED

Best Data plan for a week's visit

al_the_bull

Hi, can anyone recommend a good data plan for a week's visit to Thailand ? Also, where can I buy the sim card on landing. Advisable to buy form airport or from anywhere else ? We heading straight to Pattaya from airport. i will be using the phone mainly for data, but dont require 3G really. Please suggest a cheap plan for a week to get going. Thanks.

Ciao

What phone do you have? 3G is pretty much ubiquitous nowadays, with all three major carriers - though I am partial to TRUE.

They have a plan, good for a month, for around 700 Baht - though I believe you can get a cheaper plan, capped by capacity (I think something around 1GB or even as low as 250MB.  You could just walk to the TRUE booth at the airport upon arrival, pick up a SIM card, and sign up for one of the packages.

Alternatively, you can also just "top up" your SIM card, and then issue a short code every day that will enable 24 hours of internet data access. I believe these cost around 70 Baht a day, so this might the cheapest solution -- though a hassle at having to re-enable the plan every 24 hours. At this rate, the monthly pre-paid plan isn't that much more expensive, but you don't need to regularly re-activate it.

What phone do you have? 3G is pretty much ubiquitous nowadays, with all three major carriers - though I am partial to TRUE.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note. Thanks a million, That reply really helped. Will get my phone started on airport itself. Any documents or anything needed to buy sim cards ? Also, is it a very lengthy process ? we have to exit the airport quickly for our further plan...

Ciao

truemove runs its "high speed" 3G+ data at 850 Mhz.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note. Thanks a million, That reply really helped. Will get my phone started on airport itself. Any documents or anything needed to buy sim cards ? Also, is it a very lengthy process ? we have to exit the airport quickly for our further plan...

you have note 1 or 2? 2 uses smaller sim and not always available at airport. Normally a 10-15 minutes max process to be setup

Should take no longer than 10-15 minutes. At most, picking the right data plan would take the longest time.

truemove runs its "high speed" 3G+ data at 850 Mhz.

Yes, make sure your Samsun supports that (some do, some don't). 

Should take no longer than 10-15 minutes. At most, picking the right data plan would take the longest time.

Absolutely, dont want to waste time on choosing data plans, thats why posted query here for the cheapest best data plan available so i dont waste time :)

Ciao

Just tell them you just need a data plan for one week. The daily shortcode might be the best deal, if you don't mind the hassle - they might even some sort of weekly plan, or one that is limited by capacity. Just make sure you have them show you have entering the shortcodes work, and be sure to write them down.

Hi,

I have used True in the past with no problems whatsoever.

Can I extend the conversation please. I'm coming to Patts in March and I wonder if True can supply a pay as you go micro sim for an iphone4s. Does anyone out there know this or have an English speaking contact no. For True?

Hi,

Can I extend the conversation please. I'm coming to Patts in March and I wonder if True can supply a pay as you go micro sim for an iphone4s. Does anyone out there know this or have an English speaking contact no. For True?

if i remember well they are also in arrivals hall

Hi,

Yes, they do - just request the proper SIM size (microSIM). They had those in the arrival hall last time I was there.

Just as you go outside where everyone is waiting with the sign placards to pick up passengers, there is a small stall for True, where I picked up a micro sim for my Apple IPhone last trip. Very close to that area anyway. This trip I plan to get a data plan as well. The wifi can be hit and miss sometimes. The convenience of having access to the Internet on your phone outweighs the small cost of the data plan.

I use1,2; call i have sim card so it cost 107b for 20 hours of internet, the kiosk is just beyond arrivals just look for it

• 2 weeks later...

Archived