IGNORED

Chromebook

QuotaMan

Anyone have one or used a chromebook?

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-C7-C710-2847-Chromebook-5400RPM/dp/B00AG0BLWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360206663&sr=8-1&keywords=acer+c7+chromebook

I'm thinking of getting one for my travels. A tablet seems too small especially for typing on, and I want something lighter than my laptop.

A co-worker has one and she loves hers. I like that it is mostly a media/internet device mostly for surfing the web. Since I have gmail and like google applications it would be perfect.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

Anyone have one or used a chromebook?

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-C7-C710-2847-Chromebook-5400RPM/dp/B00AG0BLWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360206663&sr=8-1&keywords=acer+c7+chromebook

I'm thinking of getting one for my travels. A tablet seems too small especially for typing on, and I want something lighter than my laptop.

A co-worker has one and she loves hers. I like that it is mostly a media/internet device mostly for surfing the web. Since I have gmail and like google applications it would be perfect.

If you love Google services and you are primarily concerned with just surfing the web, basic business functions, and email, then the Chromebook is a good alternative to a full fledged laptop.  They are light, thin, stylish, and get great batter life (Samsung Series 5 gets over 8 hrs on wifi).  The downsides are performance and lack of software comparability.  I heard even the newest ones choke on HD video playback, and they can be picky about file formats.  You obviously can't install any windows/mac software, but between Chrome extensions and web applets, that might not be too much of an issue for casual users.  Power users could be a little restricted.       

If you love Google services and you are primarily concerned with just surfing the web, basic business functions, and email, then the Chromebook is a good alternative to a full fledged laptop.  They are light, thin, stylish, and get great batter life (Samsung Series 5 gets over 8 hrs on wifi).  The downsides are performance and lack of software comparability.  I heard even the newest ones choke on HD video playback, and they can be picky about file formats.  You obviously can't install any windows/mac software, but between Chrome extensions and web applets, that might not be too much of an issue for casual users.  Power users could be a little restricted.       

That's pretty much all I will need when traveling, something to surf the web and also be able to type on it for email, forums, etc. Something that's also lighter than a regular laptop. This looks like it might be the next thing I get, thanks.

Official Pattaya Song

I looked at them but still find them to be way too bulky. Buying a tablet with a keyboard case works much better at better performance and often better battery life.

Take a look at the full sized iPad with Logitech keyboard, or the iPad mini (which I have now) plus the new Logitech or Belkin keyboard.

Google now offers Google Drive (documents like spreadsheets) natively on the iPads. It not only looks way better than in a browser, it's also very easy to create and edit documents on the iPad. I love it.

... my thai wife was different ...

Samsung Chrome book is 17mm thick. An iPad mini with keyboard case has to be at least that thickness. True that the iPad combo is overall smaller, but coming from a full sized laptop, a chrome book will feel tiny. While I'll admit that I've never used Google services on an iPad, I would find it hard to believe that Google would make a better experience on an Apple device than on their own OS. Don't get me wrong, the iPad mini is an awesome piece of kit. I would have bought one if I didn't already own the Nexus 7. I was seriously eyeballing the black one. I just think it isn't the first choice for people who type a lot.

iPad devices are nice but I'm going for a slightly cheaper option and chromebook seems to fit the bill.

I handled my co-worker's chromebook and I thought it was pretty light compared to the laptop I use at home, perfect for carrying around.

The ASUS version is around 200-250 U.S. dollars.

Official Pattaya Song

Samsung Chrome book is 17mm thick. An iPad mini with keyboard case has to be at least that thickness. True that the iPad combo is overall smaller, but coming from a full sized laptop, a chrome book will feel tiny. While I'll admit that I've never used Google services on an iPad, I would find it hard to believe that Google would make a better experience on an Apple device than on their own OS. Don't get me wrong, the iPad mini is an awesome piece of kit. I would have bought one if I didn't already own the Nexus 7. I was seriously eyeballing the black one. I just think it isn't the first choice for people who type a lot.

How do you like your Nexus 7? Was it worth the purchase?

Archived