IGNORED

Where do you get your Thailand Phone?

prorose

Do most of you guys buy a different phone just for use in Thailand? If yes, where are the best places to buy them?

Thanks

No requirement for a new phone just a sim card out of 24/7 is all that is needed

Oh great! Just put a different sim card in, that's it. I'm technology challenged.

Hi Mate, just ask the motorbike taxi to take you to tukcom....they all know where tukcom is (opp end of soi bukhaow from pattaya klang).

Go up the escalators to the first floor - its wall to wall fone shops. Buy a basic Nokia for around 700-800THB and put a couple of hundred THB credit on it. 10 minutes and 1000THB and you are good to go.

A tip - get the shop to stick your fone number on the back - when a girl asks for your number, just show her the back of your fone.

Younger and trendier BMs might say that this is a very uncool look....turn it to your advantage, just say to a TG that you dont have an iphone 5, because you have bought a thai fone 5...well I always got a chuckle with that one...are they laughing with me or at me LOL?

sim card will work if your phone is unlocked... here in the us you will have to go out of your way to get it unlocked...

sim card will work if your phone is unlocked... here in the us you will have to go out of your way to get it unlocked...

They just made it illegal or something to unlock phones in the US I think so I'm not sure if this works anymore, but I would just call your phone carrier and see if they can unlock it for free. I use Verizon here in the states and they let you unlock one phone every 10 months. Well this was in December, who knows if they conform with that law now.

IMO best to avoid any market type stall and just go to a shop where the bloody price is already stickered on the product. It's often cheaper and the product won't be some broken piece of shit that they've decided to off-load on the tourist.

So I can assume my U.S. phone is probably locked.

Yes, but just call the provider and they will often unlock it for free if you are travelling. 

I didn't even call, did an online chat with AT&T from Thailand and the lady gave me instructions to unlock. I was still under contract btw. 

I had mine unlocked in Tukcom, 300 or 400 baht I think.

I already had an old cheap phone, so just had it unlocked and bought the sim.

TG's always laugh at my old Nokia, especially when I tell them it's the latest iphone 6. 

I keep the real iphone, in the safe, for any calls or texts from back home.

I now bring my unlocked iPhone from Australia but on my first 2 trips I bought a phone from Tukcom.

You can get a basic one for under 1000Baht.

If you lose it then its not a big deal.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

Yep Tuckom for the win, anything u want is there! Just be sure to ask for original if you want an original ;)

If it's an iPhone, just go to iphonefort-mobile.com and follow the instructions to get it unlocked. It costs $45. I did it for my iPhone 5, and it worked perfectly.

Archived