IGNORED

Connecting laptop to TV (Anyone good with tech?)

BXNomad

I'm coming to Thailand in a couple months and I'll be bringing my laptop. I'll be wanting to hook it up to the TV to use the TV as a display for watching movies, viewing pictures, etc. I also have USB gaming controllers that I might want to play with the ladies but that's another story. :Grin3: (yes I'm a young lad)

So I'm wondering what type of TVs are typical in Thailand these days in the hotels and guesthouses? I'll be staying at many different ones during my time in Thailand. Also wondering about TVs in Thailand family homes as well, as I might do a homestay and it could be cool to play games with the kids and show the family some pictures/video from home on their TV.

My laptop has HDMI out, so if the TV is newer and has a HDMI input... all I'd need is a HDMI cable, correct? Or would I need some sort of international/PAL HDMI conversion?

What worries me too is if it's an older TV with no HDMI. My laptop has VGA out, so I could use this converter for TVs with Composite (3 colored cable): http://sewelldirect.com/pc-to-tv.asp

It can switch to PAL.

So with HDMI and Composite covered, will that be enough for most TVs in Thailand, or am I missing anything? Think I'll need a S-video cable?

Thanks!

Hey man, goodluck in the coming trip depending on the quality of the hotels/sorta your going to find a whole range of tvs s-video cable wouldnt be a bad idea although all those gadgets you can find here quite easily.. ive ranged from brand new samsungs to tvs older then me.. safest if you can get a multi one kinda like the xbox 360 attachment. i havent had and problem with having to switch to pal personally

Most TV's in the hotels were I stayed, have at least a vga connector, most have an HDMI.

If you use vga, you will also need a sound cable and ad hoc adapters.

You might also need help from the hotel staff to attach the cables  because some TV's  are fixed to the wall making the connectors unreachable.

What I always do, is leave everything, apart from my Displayport to HDMI  converter, at home and buy what is needed to make the connection at Tuk Com on South Pattaya Road.

PAL/NTSC is, as far as I know, not an issue  when you connect a computer to a monitor.

There are heaps of combinations that you could face and each one has some problems. 

Remember that when connecting your laptop it is just like connecting a monitor. You get video but probably not sound unlees it is a very modern TV.  I suggest taking some USB powered travel speakers to get audio. I use the X-mini II Capsule Speaker Xmini II capsule speaker-580-90.jpg These were about $20 and were OK but you get what you pay for.  I tried to get better ones at Toucom but they are cheaper on Ebay.

If you luck out your TV might offer HDMI so that cable will be OK

Most TV’s (flat screens) will have VGA connections,.difference-vga-computer-monitor-port-800x800.jpg So I recommend a VGA cable with a few DVI/VGA adaptors just in case. 

The older TV’s will probably only offer you a RGB connection. This is the red white and yellow plugs that had VCR or DVD connections. You will need a video out connection from your laptop (s Video is good) and a converter to RGB won’t go astray. 

Remember Ebay is your friend. $2.50 on Ebay....750 baht at Toucom. That being said I take a bag of things and occasionally I need to pick up things from Toucom. You might be in Asia but the prices for electrical items are not cheap.

PS if you have a Macbook...everything is more expensive

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

I just bought that speaker yesterday. :o

I'll bring:

HDMI cable

VGA Cable

S-Video cable

RGB Compositive converter

I'll get them off eBay, and if I need anything else I'll get it while I'm there.

Thanks for the replies.

Archived