IGNORED

US Verizon iPhone 5 SIM card

CpHowdy

Just wondering if I can get a SIM card in Patts for use in my iPhone 5. Verizon's iPhone 5 s already unlocked so I would think it would work. Would it give me data as well a voice?

Can I get voice and data on a prepaid SIM card?

What is the cost to call the US if I get a SIM card?

Trying to decide if it is worth doing for a two week trip or if I should just use Skype from my computer.

not an i5 fan so I don't know if they are regular sized sims or not. if so, yes you can get a prepaid sim card at any 711, computer mall, etc. you have many options on plans. I am cheap so I have a regular sim card with 12Call and I have 150mb of data at 3g (which isn't everywhere here) and 2g unlimited. I just use if for email. That costs 149b a month. Much better 3g plans with gigabytes are more like 900b.

if you need to call the US, go to 711 or family mart and get a calling card. you then use you thai sim'd cell phone to call a number on the card and hang up, then you get a call back (and no minutes come off your prepaid sim), and then you can dial the US number you want for maybe 4 cents a minute.

I'd just use skype instead of paying 300b for a calling card. Usually they are called HATARI calling cards. (that is a brand).

well, I'd bring a phone or buy one here (1000b) and get a sim card here and prepay maybe 100-300b depending on how many girls you will be swapping numbers with.

Great thanks for the info.  The iPhone 5 actually uses the new smaller sim card, it think its called a micro sim.

I might just look into picking up a cheap phone and getting a prepaid sim for it.

Thanks

The iPhone 5 uses a nano sim -- the smallest of sims, roughly the size of a piece of chiclet gum. Happily, the nano sim is available. By far the easiest thing to do is when you arrive at the BKK airport, go to the DTAC (or AIS or True but I prefer DTAC) booth located on floor 2 of the arrival hall near door 7, and get your sim there. They speak great english and will make sure your phone is working before you leave. There're several packages you can choose from but I think the best deal is 300B for a week of unlimited data, 100 baht of call credit and a nano sim.

dtac is the best deal and i had good coverage in patts with their plan which if i believe was 2 gigs of data for 600 baht or something similar... but if you have access to wifi in your hotel, etc. on a constant basis and are not downloading you can make due on 200 megs in my opinion per month... this will cover emails, checking things on the net but not movie watching to any great degree just use wifi where available and don't use any navigation features...

• 2 years later...

So I finally talked a buddy into taking a trip to Thailand and he's a Verizon USA iPhone 5 user.

With all the TG's using LINE, What's App, Viber and other apps I told my friend he would be much happier if he's got a working smart phone instead of using some old Nokia or Samsung flip phone.

As mentioned by the OP, Verizon's CDMA iPhones do have a slot for a nano size SIM.  Supposedly, the sim is not locked.  Google-ing has not really been conclusive, but what I wanna know is if my buddy gets an AIS 1-2-Call nano sim and buys a data package, will his phone be ok for local service.  Supposedly this type of CDMA iPhone has GSM capabilities as well, so that Verizon customers are able to connect as they travel the world.  But my friend wants/needs to have a working pre-paid Thai sim to have a local number and not be roaming on Verizon USA service.

I am seeking replies from Verizon USA customers with similar iPhones.  Thanks

So I finally talked a buddy into taking a trip to Thailand and he's a Verizon USA iPhone 5 user.

With all the TG's using LINE, What's App, Viber and other apps I told my friend he would be much happier if he's got a working smart phone instead of using some old Nokia or Samsung flip phone.

As mentioned by the OP, Verizon's CDMA iPhones do have a slot for a nano size SIM. Supposedly, the sim is not locked. Google-ing has not really been conclusive, but what I wanna know is if my buddy gets an AIS 1-2-Call nano sim and buys a data package, will his phone be ok for local service. Supposedly this type of CDMA iPhone has GSM capabilities as well, so that Verizon customers are able to connect as they travel the world. But my friend wants/needs to have a working pre-paid Thai sim to have a local number and not be roaming on Verizon USA service.

I am seeking replies from Verizon USA customers with similar iPhones. Thanks

The Thai SIM will work fine with the Verizon iPhone. You will receive a Thai phone number. Forward your home number to Skype. It'll all work fine.

Keep you Verizon SIM for when you go back home.

If you use your Verizon SIM in Thailand, ie maintain your home number for use in Thailand, you need to call Verizon and speak to a global services person (the first person you speak to will be clueless) to have the global SIM activated for use. But the charges are high - like 1.99 per minute calls and data is an extra high charge.

I have an older 4S which I use exclusively for international SIMs for local data access. I also carry an iPhone 6 for calls to my US number, but work pays for that. I carry the 4S when I'm out and about looking for fun. Works like a charm.

As noted above, you can acquire the SIM at the airport before you leave. They'll install it and set it up and you're good to go.

Archived