IGNORED

Phone use in Thailand

daggit

Just wondering if I can buy a SIMM card for a iPhone 5. Carrier is sprint. Maybe buying a cheap phone and using prepaid minutes would be better. Just wondering what my options would be.

If your phone is unlocked (ie not on a contract) then you should be able to put another SIM in it. If if is locked I think the best option is to buy a cheap phone.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Would you recommend buying a. Heap phone in pattaya?

Yes, because if you lose it it doesn't matter. Also nobody is going to be too interested in stealing it. You can get one for less that 1000 Baht in Tucom.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I have just posted in another subject, I take no hardware on holiday other than cheap charlie unlocked phone, use a certain internet cafe that is cheap as chips with for 4 years now never any intercept problems and would never use wi-fi in any country other than my own. If you lose your hardware I know a lot of people believe they have safeguards that cannot be beaten 5555. I am a dinosaur in regard to what is out there.

I realise for some running their own business it seems carting around this hardware seems essential, till they lose it, it opens up your life and YOU ARE ON HOLIDAY if you need to run your business you are not on holiday you need to look how you can take "time out" and actually "run" your business.

A relative who is way more savvy than me after my last lap top ( now I know that already dates my attitude), after it "died" hooked up and extracted quite a few things I would rather he not know about and then showed all access codes, passwords past and present.

He then accessed a program that drew up a profile picture of me and my habits.

I can only repeat you are on holiday if you work for a "corporate" like me, if they feel a void when you are not there and unavaiable it only adds to your "kudos".

Just wondering if I can buy a SIMM card for a iPhone 5. Carrier is sprint. Maybe buying a cheap phone and using prepaid minutes would be better. Just wondering what my options would be.

You can use your iphone here if unlocked..you can access 3G/Internet as well.

http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/sim-other.html

I take my unlocked smart phone over there.

It is so useful for me as I use it for

* tracking down and remembering girls names to see again.

* photos and also video!

* GPS for when you are trekking around on the Darkside and over to Ban Chang.

* on the go TRs.

I do however realise that it is a risk taking it and assume this risk.

I back up the phone before leaving home just in case it's lost/broken/stolen over there.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

sprint usually doesn't have phones with sim cards but I believe the i5 do. Make sure it is unlocked. Since the law just changed in the US about unlocking phones under contract (as of jan 26), you may find it hard for the carrier to unlock it for you.

many things could happen to your iphone so unless you are here for a month or more or otherwise want 3g data etc. I'd leave it at home and get a shit 800-1000 baht phone.

I use a nice phone here, got it wet two times, (slightly damp shorts.... FROM water not juices btw), cost like 10-40 each time I did that. A shit phone would be better but I like having data on my phone.

ok today I saw they were selling trac phones here for ten dollars. The use a sim and are gsm. So all I have to do is unlock it and buy a sim card once I get to Thailand?

• 2 weeks later...

So, buy a Trac Phone, then go somewhere to unlock it.  Or just buy an unlocked phone here.   They do sell those Trac phones very cheap so if you can get it unlocked, you may have saved yourself some $$, ( but likely wasted some time).

http://www.tracfone.com/phones.jsp  - then again, after checking their site, I wouldn't use any of their shitbird LG's, Motorolas or Samsungs.  

You can get a new Nokia for 800 thb, that will be better than anything on that site for the same price. 

With a sprint iphone you can have them unlock the phone for you.  You have to meet some specific critera though first.  Account needs to be in good standing and the phone has to have been active on the account for 90 days.  If you meet that contact sprint *2 and ask for the international department who can unlock iPhones. Now I have heard it isn't exactly the easiest process as they ask a bunch of id verification questions and sometimes it is easier to go to a store for that verification process.  But just know it can be done just not as easy as point a click.

I do work for the company so I know it is possible just not in the mobile division so cant help much.

Just a quick article on the policy, 

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/story/2012/09/24/verizon-says-iphone-5-wont-be-relocked/57836744/1

Archived