IGNORED

Thai language question...

Tao 66

My TG and i often playfight on the phone. It never gets nasty but stops the jealously thing with her and ends in laughter. She is always joking about Mia nois in UK etc. and I retort by asking about her Thai bf....OK some might find that a bit weird but it works for us as we miss each other a lot. We have plenty of fun on the phone which keeps our relationship buzzing.

One thing she sometimes says to me is "mei tong loi!" or something like that...I'm assuming it's Thai for "shut up!"

Anyone help?

IF ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL WHERE IS THE REST OF MY PENIS?

I think she is saying "don't wait," if that makes any sense.

Could it be "Mai dtong luhee"

Means  depending on context...

"There's really no need for that!"

"You really don't have to say that!"

"You really don't need to do that!"

"That's really not necessary"

"Is that really necessary?"

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

There is no malice or anger in it...if she was with me she'd chuck a pillow at me she's playful like that.

'mai tong' is another way to say dont do it or dont

Not quite.

Yah tum is more likely to be used for "don't do it" or "don't"

Mai dtong means "no need to",  "not necessary to",  "don't have to" and is less like a command.

Could it be "Mai dtong luhee"

Means  depending on context...

"There's really no need for that!"

"You really don't have to say that!"

"You really don't need to do that!"

"That's really not necessary"

"Is that really necessary?"

This was my guess too.

Yes, my guess is also 'mai dtorng' which literally translates as 'not need'. 'Loi' in this context means 'at all' so she could be telling you that she doesn't need a Thai boyfriend at all.

'Loi' is a bit tricky & depends on context along with position in a sentence.

sgu_banner.gif

It's not always in the Thai bf context LOL

Sometimes it's because of her jealousy...called me in tears simply because I "liked" Thai rose bar on facebook in Soi 6!

So I'm laughing at her insane jealousy because I have drank at that bar for a long time and she always goes with me anyway...

"MAI TONG LOI!!" she bellows down the phone. Which just makes me laugh more...

She actually quite likes Pattaya once she's there...as long as i behave which i do...

I usually respond with "mai tong kip mak" ...Don't think too much....I think that's the right translation correct me if not.

I usually respond with "mai tong kip mak" ...Don't think too much....I think that's the right translation correct me if not.

kit not kip

I will add that I think "shut up" in Thai is "Sow Wow".

Correct me if I am wrong as I am still learning folks. 

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

Just learnt that sow wow is Isaan, one of the problems of hearing Isaan most of the time. Sometimes don't realise that are not speaking proper Thai.

You can also say Ngeeup, but I think that this is even more aggressive, like "SILENCE!!"

"sow wow" is Lao/Isaan for shut up, often used in playful banter with friends.

The Thai version "hoop bpaak" is a lot stronger, I would only use it if you're really having an argument, not just for fun.

ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวก กูเกิลทรานสเลทไม่สามารถแปลข้อมูลนี้ได้ 

"Mii Tong loi", depending how we try to translate it using the alphabet could also mean, "I am pregnant" Just a guess.

Sow wow, or houp pbak, excuse the spelling

"sow wow" is Lao/Isaan for shut up, often used in playful banter with friends.

The Thai version "hoop bpaak" is a lot stronger, I would only use it if you're really having an argument, not just for fun.

Sometimes I forget because i live in Isaan, yes "sow wow" is Isaan, not proper Thai

My TG and i often playfight on the phone. It never gets nasty but stops the jealously thing with her and ends in laughter. She is always joking about Mia nois in UK etc. and I retort by asking about her Thai bf....OK some might find that a bit weird but it works for us as we miss each other a lot. We have plenty of fun on the phone which keeps our relationship buzzing.

One thing she sometimes says to me is "mei tong loi!" or something like that...I'm assuming it's Thai for "shut up!"

Anyone help?

mai tong loi, my understanding of this, is not want now, or not need now, shut up is  houp pbak excuse spelling or sow wow

mai tong loi, my understanding of this, is not want now, or not need now, shut up is  houp pbak excuse spelling or sow wow

Mai means no or not

Dtong means means need to/have to

Loi/luhee Intensifies

It has nothing to do with "Now"

Sow wow it is then...will try that one in our playfights...LOL

Thanks folks

Hi everyone,

There are clearly many people out there who have put in a some/ a lot of time to learn Thai.

I am trying to learn Thai and I am not finding it easy, not because Thai is particularly difficult in its construction but, because I am generally thick when it comes to languages. I remember the difficulty I had years ago to pass GCE French at School and I still look upon it as one hell of achievement and one which is right up there with things I did later.

Anyway I didn't come here to merely reminisce but to ask for your advice.

How did you go about picking up Thai and what have you found works for you? Now I appreciate that what maybe has worked for you won't necessarily work for me but, I would be very interested in your views. I'm willing to try anything, well within reason.

But please don't suggest that the way to do it is to go with as many GGG's as possible and just talk a lot and take notes during the action because that definitely won't work for me. Not withstanding the fact that I would be viewed as quite mad but also I'm not that good at doing different things at the same time.

Your views will be greatly appreciated especially those things which you did which you felt advanced you rapidly.

Thanks in advance.

Colin

Your question is too vague for me to answer easily. Different things helped me at different stages. At various points I've focused on: Flashcards, reading, watching movies, conversation, and grammar study. Most of it was self-study but I've had a few teachers also.

If you're interested in learning about different study methods and materials then check out the forum at http://how-to-learn-any-language.com

There aren't many Thai learners there, but it will help with language learning in general.

ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวก กูเกิลทรานสเลทไม่สามารถแปลข้อมูลนี้ได้ 

Frugal its definitely not shut up..many ways to say that...its more about meaning than translation.and she means well....I have not done not want.....can mean her or you...either way its positive...

'sow wow' is deep isarn - doesnt sounds good when you use it with middle- or high-class thais from other parts of the country - if its used by a farang they know quickly where you got it from ;-)

more polite is 'mai thong phuut' (dont speak) or 'sip bag'  which means close your mouth - bit stronger is 'hok bag'

'mai tdong loi' is a bit playful way to say something like 'dont do that'

Just learnt that sow wow is Isaan, one of the problems of hearing Isaan most of the time. Sometimes don't realise that are not speaking proper Thai.

You can also say Ngeeup, but I think that this is even more aggressive, like "SILENCE!!"

sow wow is not issan it is more village thai so not used much by the upper memebers in bangkok but is the most coomon use to say shut up

Archived