Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

เลว�ตฉัน

misteregg

My mate has got this tattood on his arm, เลวแตฉัน He said that it meant "up to me" but with I thought ฉัน was a lady speaking

But sometimes when I'm watching a Western movie with Thai subtitles, a male can say "I " and it is written as ฉัน Also, in some Thai love songs, when a male is singing, "I" is sung as ฉัน

So does เลวแตฉัน mean "up to me" for a man speaking?

Phil

See you at Le Pub, soi Diamond.

Le Pub Facebook Page

Le Pub YouTube Channel

I hope he had the tattoo spelled like this: แล้วแต่ฉัน :D

From my notes:

"For women, chăn can be used in both polite and informal situations. Men also sometimes say chăn, mostly when chatting with close friends or to their girlfriend or wife, but it's a fair bit less common. A man saying chăn excessively often or in inappropriate situations risks sounding somewhat effeminate too, so it's best used with caution."

I know in songs and movies men say it all the time, but in real life I don't think I've ever heard a Thai man call himself chan.

So coming back to your friend, even though it's ok for men to use chan on some occassions, to use it permanently as a tattoo would probably give off the wrong signal....unless of course that's the effect he's going for :D

ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวก กูเกิลทรานสเลทไม่สามารถแปลข้อมูลนี้ได้ 

@slick I think it does have แ instead if เ sorry. Im pretty bad at spelling. He definatly wouldn't want to sound efeminate, so I think it was a bad choice.

Sent from my RM-825_apac_thailand_213 using Foroplex for Tapatalk

Le Pub Facebook Page

Le Pub YouTube Channel

Tried to post earlier, but I think that the forum had a problem.

If you have copied it correctly, it is nonsense.

เลวแตฉัน

เลว means "Evil" แล้ว would be used in "Up to...."

แต Has no meaning แต่ means "Only, just"

Your mate's tatoo means "Evil, only me" ??

So maybe แล้วแต่ฉัน or ก็แล้วแต่ฉัน "means up to me"

In "up to you " is usually Gor laaow dtae (kun) ก็แล้วแต่(คุณ)

Your mate has been victim of a sick joke.

As you say, chun is used by women, ladyboys and men only with very close friends or lovers.

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

I hope he had the tattoo spelled like this: แล้วแต่ฉัน :D

From my notes:

"For women, chăn can be used in both polite and informal situations. Men also sometimes say chăn, mostly when chatting with close friends or to their girlfriend or wife, but it's a fair bit less common. A man saying chăn excessively often or in inappropriate situations risks sounding somewhat effeminate too, so it's best used with caution."

I know in songs and movies men say it all the time, but in real life I don't think I've ever heard a Thai man call himself chan.

So coming back to your friend, even though it's ok for men to use chan on some occassions, to use it permanently as a tattoo would probably give off the wrong signal....unless of course that's the effect he's going for :D

Yeah hope its spelled correctly

You can use ฉัน for male speakers in the right situation ie songs, intimate relationships, between other close male friends or if you are speaking to someone of a lesser class and want to make a point of who you are to them

Be a shame if it is spelled wrong because he will look like all the bargirls with names of guys tattooed all of them to the thais   :Crazy1: ......The joke will be on him

Like I mentioned earlier, I think its spelt แลวแตฉัน and he said the tattoo artist told him it meant "up to me" I think its a bit of a joke myself.

I have also heard ก็ before แลวแต as a kind of witty remark, used my Thais.

Le Pub Facebook Page

Le Pub YouTube Channel

Tried to post earlier, but I think that the forum had a problem.

If you have copied it correctly, it is nonsense.

เลวแตฉัน

เลว means "Evil" แล้ว would be used in "Up to...."

แต Has no meaning แต่ means "Only, just"

Your mate's tatoo means "Evil, only me" ??

So maybe แล้วแต่ฉัน or ก็แล้วแต่ฉัน "means up to me"

In "up to you " is usually Gor laaow dtae (kun) ก็แล้วแต่(คุณ)

Your mate has been victim of a sick joke.

As you say, chun is used by women, ladyboys and men only with very close friends or lovers.

Your post is fairly odd (?)

The first part about spelling and tone marks has been established. ก็ is really not necessary.

Maybe in a sentence, but definitely not on a tattoo.

There's no maybe. It does mean 'up to me' :)

A.k.a I don't see any sick jokes...

A 100% Thai male would never use this expression. Young boys and sometimes singers use it but only a gay male or a female would use it in normal conversation.

He's had a nasty joke played on him as the tattoo artist would know exactly the meaning of what he's written.

LOS. Gotta Love It.

Your post is fairly odd (?)

The first part about spelling and tone marks has been established. ก็ is really not necessary.

Maybe in a sentence, but definitely not on a tattoo.

There's no maybe. It does mean 'up to me' :)

A.k.a I don't see any sick jokes...

As I put at the top of my post, I had difficulty posting as there seemed to be a problem with the forum.

When I made the post, I would have been post #2. When I successfully managed to post, there had already been other replies.

From the OP, the first word means "Evil" that is why I thought that it was a sick joke, especially with the use of 'Chun". If the OP copied and posted the tatoo script incorrectly, it's hardly my fault.

A 100% Thai male would never use this expression. Young boys and sometimes singers use it but only a gay male or a female would use it in normal conversation.

He's had a nasty joke played on him as the tattoo artist would know exactly the meaning of what he's written.

Are you looking at the thread title or the second post, which implies it may just be the wrong spelling. If it's the wrong spelling but we all get the correct spelling, then there's no joke at all. Chan is definitely not just used for gay people or females.

I have a feeling that OP just spelled it wrong. After all, he doesn't even know if there were tone marks...

As I put at the top of my post, I had difficulty posting as there seemed to be a problem with the forum.

When I made the post, I would have been post #2. When I successfully managed to post, there had already been other replies.

From the OP, the first word means "Evil" that is why I thought that it was a sick joke, especially with the use of 'Chun". If the OP copied and posted the tatoo script incorrectly, it's hardly my fault.

I'm pretty sure OP just got the spelling wrong, which was highlighted in the second post.

There were other things I didn't agree with in your post, but it would seem harsh, and you were only helping out.

For example เลว is usually an emphasis word. Don't have my Thai keyboard with me but for e.g. keekiat (lazy) maak (very) เลว would mean really really lazy.

There's different meanings for everything. Like "Daih" which you highlighted as being 'only' is really just when used as an adverb. The majority of times it's used as a conjunction (had to Google that word), meaning 'but'.

Then again, I'm far from being an expert, so appreciate the discussion.

For

example เลว is usually an emphasis word. Don't have my Thai keyboard

with me but for e.g. keekiat (lazy) maak (very) เลว would mean really

really lazy.

I think that you are confusing เลว with เลย.

เลย is the emphasis word

I only got to see the tattoo for about 15 seconds, so I can't remember if there were any tone marks. I'm pretty sure it was แลว and not เลว so my apologies. Next time I see it I'll get a closer look. I still think the ฉัน bit was strange.

Phil

Le Pub Facebook Page

Le Pub YouTube Channel

I think that you are confusing เลว with เลย.

เลย is the emphasis word

Oh wow, can't believe I wrote that. Yes, you're right!

Just spoke to Mrs Darkside and she said straight away that it means "Up To Me" without doubt and without any sort of gay or girlie connotations.

I asked if there was any pisstaking going on and she said nope!  just a straight forward Up to me.....

...Using the force, one bar at a time

Being different sometimes backfires when you do not know everything, 100%.  Why did he not get a nice picture of a butterfly, no translation needed.

Tattoo's what a subject I am an old fart, many mates now despite recolouring have tatts that seemed great in 1967 some have put on weight and muscle that have totally distorted the original, some now who have suffered loss and have blots that you can not recognise, I have another friend who being embarrased about what seemed "a good idea" 33 years ago has undergone "painful" laser surgery to remove the names that now come back to haunt him.

I wonder where this will go in years, long past my lifespan so maybe it does not matter.

I admit to having seen the sexiest Tat on a friend of my latest LT in Patts, she is probably what most would class as a "coyote" apparently she has no need to "dance" I believe unless big bucks are involved she is not available and is one of a very wealthy Patts family, she actually is very beautful and maybe because of who I was with, very friendly.

Dressed in an open lace dress with bikini underneath it exposed one of the most complex Tatts I have ever seen. it started as a serpents head over the shoulder towards her breast that started down her back then twinned round her leg to finish at her ankle, it was also in full colours, I normally do not find many tats attractive, I got caught mesmerised by my girl looking at this friend with the tat and the girls then had a lot of hands on fun that I would not class as sex but fun.

I have to admit this was "sex on legs" and I first thought maybe TG but Ican assure she was not.

Often that scene comes back to me.

Why didn't anyone did try google translate?

ขึ้นอยู่กับผม

Perhaps because google translate isn't very good?

ขึ้นอยู่กับ means "depends on" like "Whether or not I buy this house depends on if I get a raise".

แล้วแต่ (pronoun) means "up to that person to decide"

Afaik both ขึ้นอยู่กับผม /keun yoo gap pom/ and แล้วแต่ผม /laew dtae pom/ mean "it depends on me".

The only difference is that /keun yoo gap pom/ is a bit more formal and /laew dtae pom/ is more casual, everyday talk, as is the English "up to me".

You can also use just แล้วแต่ /laew dtae/, meaning "it depends".

So when a bargirl asks you if you gonna barfine her and you're not really sure you can just say /laew dtae/. Make her work for it a bit to convince you :D

ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวก กูเกิลทรานสเลทไม่สามารถแปลข้อมูลนี้ได้ 

Archived