IGNORED

Learning Thai

Siraulo

I would like to learn few Thai words and phrases for my next trip.

So far I know very few:

Kap Khun Mahk - Thanks very much

Mai Pen Rai - You`re welcome

Suay - Beautiful

Sa Wat Dee - Hello

Chokh Dee - Good luck

Mao Mak Mak - Very drunk :)

Please add some simple words and phrases you use

in every day life in Thailand.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha bigbill beat me to it.

The above pictures are a good guide to learn a few more words.

The pronunciations on a few are a little strange compared to what I learnt but you will be able to get by with this easy.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

Haha bigbill beat me to it.

The above pictures are a good guide to learn a few more words.

The pronunciations on a few are a little strange compared to what I learnt but you will be able to get by with this easy.

LOL

I just thought that this might help him a little!

I do agree that some of them will probably just get you that puzzled look, but most are o.k to start with!

Bill

EDIT-

mi pen rai means it doesn't matter/never mind, not you're welcome although you could use it as a replacement in the correct situation.

Mai Oaw Khap. (Not want -nice-)

Kap Khun Mahk - Thanks very much

Please add some simple words and phrases you use

in every day life in Thailand.

Kap Khun Kap.

Kap (spelled krap, silent R) is added by males to the end of most expressions.  Ka by women.

Xylantic (if that is the right spelling) has a pretty good thread on what he used to learn Thai. There are a number of free android apps that will help with pronunciation.

I like the bigbill post, very good.

This is quite good, download the audio and videos and copy to your smart phone and listen wherever/whenever.  The thing with learning any language is you got to try and talk or at listen to it everyday if you can.  I have a few girls I talk to on Skype when back in falangland and try to use a few phrases to keep it fresh.

http://learn-thai-podcast.com/300words/

Don't learn to much though as the girls don't like us falangs knowing what they say, and if you can and don't let on, you can have some fun listening in!! LOL

Pretty difficult to learn any Thai in phonetic English because everyone spells the words differently, Thai is a tonal language but you can learn the basics.

I hate typing Thai in phonetic English...............but it should be

Kop (not kap) Khun Ma Kap - thankyou very much

Mi pen ri - never mind

Hope that makes sense. I am sure there is a long post in the newbie section with a huge list of words.

on itunes there are free podcast (Thai survival phrases) I downloaded this - great for the plane

Cheers

Athers

cop-coon big bill :) 

There is one important missing:

Pai Pee Kan Mai - Let's go have a shag together

The Lao/Isaan variant is:

Pai See Kan Bo

That's why many girls make fun of the English word "See". You can hear them making jokes: I want see you. When you come see me?

In Lao/Isaan SEE means to fuck.

Ow nuat gap smoke chuck wow tip (borrowed English word) sii sipb baht die mai kahp

Ab nahm duay

Boom toodt die mai

Jep mai

Khun sueay mak mak kit wa khun yee sip bee nohm aloy mai

pussy (borrowed English word) hawm gap aloy

CHOP KUN MAK MA - I LIKE YOU ALOT... KUN CHOP POM MAI? - DO YOU LIKE ME?.. KAPOON KRUP TILAK - THANKYOU DARLING

Mai Oaw Khap. (Not want -nice-)

The Thai words I use Most in Pattaya, much more polite than F ---

• 2 weeks later...

There is one important missing:

Pai Pee Kan Mai - Let's go have a shag together

99.75% that this is incorrect. Doesn't seem to mean anything at all.

Sure you typed it correctly?

Ok, if I can give anyone any advice on learning Thai is to learn to READ Thai as it will help you so much and you will avoid looking an ass when trying to say something that your pronunciation is wrong. I started learning to speak Thai and like most, did the whole You Tube, Bar Girl route and tried my best, but after 6 miserable months I hadn't learnt much and although I could say a few sentences I had no idea what they were saying back! So, I was advised to learn to read and write and I gave it a go. A year later and I can read and write fluently and speak 80% fluent. It made learning so much easier and avoided looking stupid.

Another thing to look out for is making sure you can actually use the words to people you are not good friends with, for instance if you say shut up (hop pack) its actually (hout bhat) as in the cartoon above and you say it to someone you don't know well you are likely to get a slap as its a very disrespectful way of saying be quiet, instead use the word ngiiap (เงียบ) which is a much politer way of saying ssshh.

So, learn to read and trust me, it's a lot easier to learn to speak!

Ok, if I can give anyone any advice on learning Thai is to learn to READ Thai as it will help you so much and you will avoid looking an ass when trying to say something that your pronunciation is wrong. I started learning to speak Thai and like most, did the whole You Tube, Bar Girl route and tried my best, but after 6 miserable months I hadn't learnt much and although I could say a few sentences I had no idea what they were saying back! So, I was advised to learn to read and write and I gave it a go. A year later and I can read and write fluently and speak 80% fluent. It made learning so much easier and avoided looking stupid.

Another thing to look out for is making sure you can actually use the words to people you are not good friends with, for instance if you say shut up (hop pack) its actually (hout bhat) as in the cartoon above and you say it to someone you don't know well you are likely to get a slap as its a very disrespectful way of saying be quiet, instead use the word ngiiap (เงียบ) which is a much politer way of saying ssshh.

So, learn to read and trust me, it's a lot easier to learn to speak!

Any advice how to learn reading, did you go to some school?

Any advice how to learn reading, did you go to some school?

I have a teacher who i had lessons via Skype with until I moved out here to live. Now we meet up for a weekly lesson for an hour just so I can go through anything I'm stuck on.

Get a book on the Thai Alphabet, there are dozens available and start from there. If you have an iPad or phone a great app is TalkingThai, it's not cheap but if you're serious about learning then its a must have app.

Hope this helps?

Ow nuat gap smoke chuck wow tip (borrowed English word) sii sipb baht die mai kahp

Ab nahm duay

Boom toodt die mai

Jep mai

Khun sueay mak mak kit wa khun yee sip bee nohm aloy mai

pussy (borrowed English word) hawm gap aloy

Will you do (something) and smoke and HJ for a 40 baht tip? Chuay plae nii nawy khap

shower together

can fuck ass?

hurt?

you are very very beautiful (?) your 20 yr old tits taste good. (What is kit wa? Sounds like words I've learned but forgotten.)

[your] pussy smell and taste good [jang]!

To OP, the above link for the free Learn Thai Podcast course is excellent and extensive for a free course. You will be surprised at how many sentences you can mold if you actively learn this. You might also check out http://learn-thai-podcast.com/blog/free-thai-language-lessons-for-your-holiday/

Side note to anyone interested in Learn Thai Podcast, they charge 200us for a one year course. Apparently this means you only have access for one year and then you can pay another 200 for 5 yrs...huh?

To OP, the above link for the free Learn Thai Podcast course is excellent and extensive for a free course. You will be surprised at how many sentences you can mold if you actively learn this. You might also check out http://learn-thai-podcast.com/blog/free-thai-language-lessons-for-your-holiday/

Side note to anyone interested in Learn Thai Podcast, they charge 200us for a one year course. Apparently this means you only have access for one year and then you can pay another 200 for 5 yrs...huh?

I tried this course, again, they are teaching you spoken thai and a lot of this you will not use, it's the same as in English, we are taught Queens English but speak mostly in slang. Get a teacher and use your $200 wisely!

Archived