Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Suggestions for Half Day Self Directed Scooter Tour of Area

quiet kwai

After seveal years of going bar 2 bar Pattaya - Naklua-Pattaya-Jomtien on a rental scooter, I am looking to venture out to see some of the surrounding area.

Does anyone know of any scenic putts down the coast and back? Or even better a loop where you don't have to double back? I like these types of trips.

Ideally in the 4-6 hour range beginning to end, all daylight, plus lunch and perhaps some points of interest.I plan on renting a scooter, but may upgrade to something a little more substantial if required for road conditions.

Anyone make these types of day runs?

LAHD.jpg

http://www.ironbutt.com/

Go to Baan Chang via the big golden Buddah.  It also has a nice beach and if you want a nice row of shortime bars :)

Start off early (say 8am)  and Head south down sukhumvit and turn off east to Wat yanawarraram (sp) and the nearby chinese museum

Its only a short ride from there to the buddha mountain and then you head back to the highway, continue south and you will see the turnoff to Nong nooch, which is great for the early  show (around 10.30a) and lunch or the afternoon show . You can continue south a short way and look for the turnoff to Bang Saray beach, lovely place with lots of shade and food drinks on the beach. Only about 45 minutes back to pattaya from there. 

Do a search on here and you will find photos and maps to these places. 

Sounds good, I've done the Nong Nooch thing by scooter 2x. The upcountry BG's who haven't been around Pattaya too long love the garden view, elephant show show and Thai-Burmese elephant cavalry reenactment fight scene.

What about down to Rayong, and back up the 36 (or vice versa)?  

As far as I know there really isn't anything north up Sukhumwit.  The options you have just been given are pretty much it.  Bang Chang, Buddha Mt. and Silver Lake, Nong Nouch and Bang Saray.  There is also a military school about 1 kilometer just past the entrance to Bang Saray you can enter and go down to what I believe to be the best beach in the entire area.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable sub-human who has learned to wear shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house.

Robert Heinlein

"There is also a military school about 1 kilometer just past the entrance to Bang Saray you can enter and go down to what I believe to be the best beach in the entire area."

Quite right, unfortunately the russian tourist groups have discovered it and its pretty crowded, even during the week. Mates used to have a round of golf at the course there and then head to the beach for a swim and lunch

A few months ago I did two trips.

First I called this company and took a minibus from Pattaya for 200 baht to Ban Phe http://www.malibu-samet.com/sameti.htm

Instead of going to Koh Samet, I stayed close to Ban Phe at a guesthouse and rented a scooter from a hostel behind 7/11.

With the scooter, we drove around this area and they have a national park in one direction and a decent beach near a pine forest in the other direction.  They also have an aquarium.

The next day, we drove on the scooter all the way to Laem Mae Phim beach, which was even nicer.  Had the place to ourselves pretty much and I really can't stand somewhere like Jomtien full of russians after experiencing local thai beaches like that.

A few days later, back in Pattaya I rented a PCX125 and rode down to Sattahip to go to the hospital there (with help from my GF for translation) and that was a fun ride, there is a naval base nearby with a beach which is also worth visiting - small and shallow, so Thai people take their kids there.  Not many russians the day I went, contraft to what biggles has seen.  It is the same place.

I also had another trip planned, but did not end up doing it.  Heading north to Si Racha and having seafood on Ko Loi - a tiny island there.  Can't tell you about that because I have not been there yet, just did some research.

Trip Reports: May/June 2022 - 27 Leche Loads Jakarta/BKK/Pattaya

Popped my Cherry 2010 - Philippines - Part 1 & Thailand - Part 2  - Quick Trip Report BKK/Pattaya 2017

Avoid the 36, it is a horrible road to drive with a scooter, lots of heavy traffic.

(Same is of course true for all big roads)

As far as I know there really isn't anything north up Sukhumwit.  

Not very much, no, though the Bang Saen area is nice, but only during the week (very crowded Sat/Sun).

If you explore East, don't go North of Khao Mai Kaew, as there is this huge (huge!) indistrial zone (Amata city etc); stay below (i.e. South of) the line going Eastward to Pluak Daeng.

• 1 month later...

Good advice from all. Rented a Nuovo 135, nice scoot,

Took an hour or two to get used to driving on the other side of the road. Pulled out of a shop and was going along by the curb. Someone was coming straight at me. I thought 'why is this fool playing chicken with me? - Oh because I'm driving on the wrong side of the road!'   

:Think1:

Went South a while, looked like afternoon showers were building. Then back. Next time a little further. 

• 6 months later...

The rides already mentioned to the big Buddha, bang saray beach are good rides to. I have been up to Sri Racha tiger zoo for the afternoon and is a good ride. My favourate though and would well recommend it is the 'open zoo' not far from there. Forget the name but it is well known on the tourist agenda. You will need your bike to get around as it is about an 8 km circuit. I often go there. If you can get a Thai driving liscense its the Thai price that you pay.

Why not get a tourist map and head out into the wild blue yonder.

There is a thread somewhere on here about a Pattaya hop-on hop-off bus.

Find the thread, use the link to their web site and download the map of their routes. All the major tourist attractions will be shown and give you good ideas of what and where to see attractions.

• 4 months later...

Went to tiger zoo. Long ride by scooter, but fun. Think will head south next time.

Sounds good, I've done the Nong Nooch thing by scooter 2x. The upcountry BG's who haven't been around Pattaya too long love the garden view, elephant show show and Thai-Burmese elephant cavalry reenactment fight scene.

ugg no way, 36 not fun,

the back way to Ban Chang is your best bet, either thru the chinese temple or thru silverlake

its tricky though, a few different ways, but gives you a "destination"

stay off sukumvit or any of the big roads if you can

googl map it

if I get motivated I'll do a map, as I know that area like the back of my hand,

(commuting and cycling for over a year)

Member since Dec 06.

Archived