IGNORED

Mongering in Phuket - information

andyaus

<p>I have never been to this holiday resort, mainly because I expect to run into families and honemooners.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am going to attend a wedding in June and will need to fly down from Pattaya for two or three days. I am surprised that the forum doesn’t have much information on this popular destination and  I am hoping to fill in some gaps.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Firstly Phuket seems like a very big place with resorts spread over a large area.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p></p>
<p> </p>
<p>When people tell me they are going to Phuket it coukld be just about anywhere.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The wedding  I am attending is at the Merlin resort which is about 3kms from Patong beach. Looks like a good place to take a girl but a bit isolated for anything else.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>From my research it looks like the main area for Mongering on Phuket is at Patong beach and the Bangla Road area has the best collection of bars. Seems like you can spend two or three days there without getting bored.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So I have a few questions that the seasoned Phuket travellers might be able to help me with.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Is Bangla Road the best place to spend my time?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What is the best way to get around?..Tuk Tuk or something like the Baht bus?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I assume the beer bars and Gogo bars operate the ame as Pattaya. Are the prices similar?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Is the Phuket town worth visiting?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I was very surprised at the prices of the hotels. I was hoping to keep the room costs down to around 1000 baht per night and found a few. Do these compare with the quality in Pattaya or am I going to need to go up to 1500 to 2000 baht for similar rooms in Patong.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for your help.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Merlin Hotel.jpg

ph island.png

Patong.png

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

Andy,

The Merlin looks a fair way from Patong itself but I'm sure there are things to keep you occupied there. Are you taking a girl there?

Bangla road is a bit of a circus, a bit like pattaya - plenty of bars etc and quite a selection of girls. 

Cost - 1000 baht a night would get you a guesthouse type accommodation, or a cheap hotel. What you get for around the 1000 baht mark in pattaya would probably cost 2000 in Phuket... or more.

Beer seems to be in a world of its own in Phuket - I generally stay in Karon, and the standard beer bar price is around 100 for a small, though some have happy hours late afternoon/early evening. I imagine Patong is similar.

Phuket Town is interesting - could be worth a day trip.

Getting around can be expensive. TukTuks last trip cost 300-400 for a 5-10 minute ride. Yes, it's extortion, but it aint worth haggling unless you know the guy and the cops are in on the rort. A private car may be a better option if you are doing a few kms, around 1000 for a full day + lunch etc.

Have fun and enjoy the wedding.

Red

"Just trying to have a little bit of fun folks, that's all." - Dean Martin

I think you will find most of the "resort" style properties are more family oriented, and will charge a joiner fee, just something to keep in mind.

I find this a pretty good site for finding a room whenever I need one   http://directrooms.com/index-v61014.htm?utm_expid=67442127-77

The beach at Patong, isn't brilliant, but go a couple of k's either side of Patong and the beaches are absolutely beautiful.

Transport around Patong is a a problem.... the tuk tuks are a total rip off imo...  200 THB is the MIN fare you will pay.. Recently they have  tried regulating the price of taxis and tuk tuks around Patong.. A giant Billboard, highlighting the fares can be found at the beach at the end of Bangla Road. Personally, I either hire a motor bike taxi or use my TG's bike...

Getting into town from the airport is about a 40 min to 1 hour ride, depending on traffic.. I find the best way, is to turn right out of the arrivals terminal, ignoring all the  taxi blokes looking to get your business, and head for the meter taxi stand.... you will get to Patong for about 5 or 600 THB. Getting back to the airport, you will have to organise this, with a driver or your hotel.. It will probably cost you a bit more.

The beer bars, do indeed work in a similar way to Pattaya....  The prices vary from bar to bar.  IMO, the main complex, The New Tiger, is way over priced, but it seems to be where the nicest looking girls (by number) hang about. But there deffo are some absolute stunners working the other sois and go gos.

Some of the smaller sois have great little bars, and prices can be as low as 80 0r  90 baht for a beer. Beer is a little more exxy in Patong than Bangers or Pattaya

Bangla Road is a good place to spend your time... find a bar you like and you will be fine.. There are some nice bars, a lot quieter tho, along beach road towards the southern end... there are also many small bars dotted around Patong... some attached to guest houses, some businesses in their own right.

have a great time there, it isn't a bad place at all, once you get the joint sorted, and that should take about a day...

Bangla road is like Walking Street.

Plenty of guesthouses in central Patong for around 1-1500 night. Just have a quick look on a booking website like Sawadee. 

Transport is a pain and expensive.

Much better beaches in Kata/Surin but no real action there.

Will be there myself first week in March.

Remember Phuket is an island and everything is more expensive.

RAZZ

Anything away from Patong is pretty quiet.  Most hotels at the other beaches are family oriented - I've stayed in a few with the family.

A taxi to Bangla is always easy to get from the major hotels and doesn't take too long (15-20 mins depending from Kamala for example), but like the other poster says - they are overpriced.

Personally I prefer to stay in Patong so its only a stumble back home at the end of the night, and the hotels are more girl friendly.  Check beforehand about joiners fees though.

The well known resorts typically aren't too far apart from each other to be honest e.g.distance between Kata and Karon very small when actually travelling by car or bike.

I spent time living in Chalong it was bout 25 min ride outside of Patong. Not much to do there unless you want to see the big Wat, try some Muay Thai at the various camps they've got in that area or go on a day's sea fishing trip with friends from the pier. Personally I found Kata to be the best beach local to where I was (agree is v.honeymoon/family friendly there but beautiful views so worth a check out) but also liked Rawai and Naiharn.

Bangla Road was def best place to go out for a mix mainly of beer bars and few clubs, did not rate the gogo's there when tried these (was a long time ago mind so scene may have likely improved). Karon (not too far from Patong) was good for just beer bars for a post meal with mates piss-up/pick up occasionally or if entertaining a TG. If you are reasonably confident at riding then just hire a squeeze and go bike for the period, there's little in the way of traffic rules but wasn't too crazy. Found this really to be the best way to have the freedom to get around easily because otherwise travel is extortionate on the island.

Hope you enjoy the wedding!

Avoid using TukTuks by staying close to Bangla

http://www.summerbreezehotel.com/

http://www.cnhotelpatong.com/rate.html

These hotels get good reviews and are GF and a short walk to Bangla

IMO the GoGos aren't that great and there are touts around that will try and get you in to some , avoid ..

If you do want to try the GoGos then stick to the Rock Hard , Suzy Wongs and Devils Playgound

The best thing about Patong are the Beer Bars , lots of them in Bangla , Sois Tiger , Eric , Gonzo , Lion , Crocodile , Easy - there are also good Bars along Bangla , Kangaroo , Moon , P-One

Bangla doesn't really get lively until around ten

There ae also a few Discos around to find FLs Hollywood, Tiger , Tai Pan

Enjoy

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

Thanks guys for your replies

Andy,

The Merlin looks a fair way from Patong itself but I'm sure there are things to keep you occupied there. Are you taking a girl there?

Bangla road is a bit of a circus, a bit like pattaya - plenty of bars etc and quite a selection of girls. 

Cost - 1000 baht a night would get you a guesthouse type accommodation, or a cheap hotel. What you get for around the 1000 baht mark in pattaya would probably cost 2000 in Phuket... or more.

Beer seems to be in a world of its own in Phuket - I generally stay in Karon, and the standard beer bar price is around 100 for a small, though some have happy hours late afternoon/early evening. I imagine Patong is similar.

Phuket Town is interesting - could be worth a day trip.

Getting around can be expensive. TukTuks last trip cost 300-400 for a 5-10 minute ride. Yes, it's extortion, but it aint worth haggling unless you know the guy and the cops are in on the rort. A private car may be a better option if you are doing a few kms, around 1000 for a full day + lunch etc.

Have fun and enjoy the wedding.

Don’t think I will take a girl to the wedding. Probably catch a taxi from Patpong and leave early enough to go back to Bangla road. Seems like I can save enough on accommodation to justify taxi fares.

The well known resorts typically aren't too far apart from each other to be honest e.g.distance between Kata and Karon very small when actually travelling by car or bike.

I spent time living in Chalong it was bout 25 min ride outside of Patong. Not much to do there unless you want to see the big Wat, try some muay thai at the various camps they've got in that area or go on a day's sea fishing trip with friends from the pier. Personally I found Kata to be the best beach local to where I was (agree is v.honeymoon/family friendly there but beautiful views so worth a check out) but also liked Rawai and Naiharn.

Bangla Road was def best place to go out for a mix mainly of beer bars and few clubs, did not rate the gogo's there when tried these (was a long time ago mind so scene may have likely improved). Karon (not too far from Patong) was good for just beer bars for a post meal with mates piss-up/pick up occasionally or if entertaining a TG. If you are reasonably confident at riding then just hire a squeeze and go bike for the period, there's little in the way of traffic rules but wasn't too crazy. Found this really to be the best way to have the freedom to get around easily because otherwise travel is extortionate on the island.

Hope you enjoy the wedding!

I’ll only be there for three days but good information for my next trip thanks

Avoid using TukTuks by staying close to Bangla

http://www.summerbreezehotel.com/

http://www.cnhotelpatong.com/rate.html

These hotels get good reviews and are GF and a short walk to Bangla

IMO the GoGos aren't that great and there are touts around that will try and get you in to some , avoid ..
If you do want to try the GoGos then stick to the Rock Hard , Suzy Wongs and Devils Playgound

The best thing about Patong are the Beer Bars , lots of them in Bangla , Sois Tiger , Eric , Gonzo , Lion , Crocodile , Easy - there are also good Bars along Bangla , Kangaroo , Moon , P-One

Bangla doesn't really get lively until around ten

There ae also a few Discos around to find FLs Hollywood, Tiger , Tai Pan

Enjoy

Those are the perfect links for accommodation. I can stay there for around 1000 baht, walk to the action and even slip down to the beach. I figure it is better than Pattaya but I live in Perth so I’m spoilt for beaches.

Thanks to the other posters, I can make some plans now.

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

Rent a car one day and head to Phuket town at night,

Visit the "pink lady Cafe"  Some stunning ladies but u better be able to speak Thai t really enjoy urslef an dit wont be cheap.  :-)

Cost
- 1000 baht a night would get you a guesthouse type accommodation, or a
cheap hotel. What you get for around the 1000 baht mark in pattaya
would probably cost 2000 in Phuket... or more.

totally Wrong,

ON Patong third road ( behind Junk Ceylon) u will find dozens of brand new hotels /gh's in the 500-1500 baht range an cheaper in the low season.

Archived