IGNORED

How long did it take for you to learn the Thai language ?

Vanop

I don't speak anywhere near fluent, but Thais will understand me.. most of the time ;) 

It took me about 4 years to get tot a meaningfull level (about the level of a 6 or 7 year old Thai child, but with a farang accent ofcourse). I really enjoy learning a bit during the day, and go partying at nights. It greatly improved my understanding of their culture and it so much more fun going out at night being able to talk to the girls. Furthermore, especially the farm fresh girls will be far more willing to go with you, because they can actually talk to you, instead of the same old boring questions they've learned (what name you, where you from, how old you). Moreover, you can date the girls working in a coffeeshop or in a seven eleven. Once I went down that road, the more hardened girls became less interesting. I would recommend anyone trying to learn it, but you have to enjoy it, because it is a long run. Once you get to a meaningfull level, it might even be a bit strange to imagine what you did all evening when you didn't speak a word of Thai. Ah ok, I remember: drink beer :) Just as good!!! If you are interested, you can usually try out a hour of learning Thai (for free). Give it a try at one of those Thai schools. In Thailand, learning is about having fun, instead of actually learning something ;) 

Up to you!

"Why are farangs so stupid?" she asked and I had no answer to that.

• 3 months later...
On 4/3/2017 at 7:23 PM, The Sly Fox said:

I've never met a farang who can speak Thai fluently like a Thai person can. There are some excellent Thai speaking farang around but most are fluent in general conversation only, and in perhaps a couple specific topics. Reason being they (myself included) lack the vocabulary. I can converse to the cows come home with Thais about general every-day topics, but will get stopped dead in my tracks in 2 seconds if a Thai starts talking to me about medical conditions or philosophical matters. 

Agree entirely with the above posters who emphasis the importance of learning to read Thai. It really is easy and doesn't take long at all to get a good grasp.

I agree here.  I've been going to classes here in Australia for several years.  I can easily chat general bullshit now but still am not what I would call fluent.  If I lived in Thailand I think it would help a great deal with my speaking the language.  Here I watch Thai movies to listen and learn on top of my classes.  I have friends whose first language is not English and they told me watching tv and movies help them a great deal learning the English language.

I was luck enough to be invited to a party last week with several Thai ladies attending (all wives or soon to be with Aussie lads) to test my speaking skills in Australia.  They loved it.  Of course they asked the same first question bargirls ask when I speak Thai:  You have Thai wife or girlfriend?

As someone else said I can speak all the basic stuff, but anything that is more complicated I wont understand what their talking about. I never took classes but after years of having no english speaking girls you end up picking it up, even my girlfriend still speaks thai with me most of the time which is probably helped me pick it up. If I only had english speaking girls most likely I wouldnt learn much at all.

Get Busy Living... Or Get Busy Dying

• 1 month later...

I started by buying "Thai for Beginners" (Benjamin Poomsan Becker) with two CD's and worked on it about five times a week for three months. This book is easy to buy in Melbourne, Australia, or check www.booko.com 

Then I had a good basic vocabulary and could say and understand simple everyday things.

I went to Patong in Phuket and did a two week course, five days a week, two hours a day. TG and I sat in deckchairs on the beach in the afternoon; I did some revision and preparation for next day. Without the preparatory work I would have been out of my depth.

TG's flatter me by saying I speak well; I can chat away about everyday things but not something complex.

To progress further would require a lot of regular work including learning to read and write.

• 2 months later...
On 4/1/2013 at 07:55, Vanop said:

Out of curiosity I was wondering the average amount of time it took you guys to speak fluent Thai?

I'd be interested to hear if any of the original 2013 posters are still following this thread, and how they're getting on.

Archived