IGNORED

Americanization of food

I have noticed that many ethnic foods in America get dumbed down to American tastes. Does the reverse occur in Thailand? That is, do dishes from American and U.K. get altered to be more in in line with Thai tastes? If so, in what way?

We do good authentic Mexican and American food at Tequila Reef in Pattaya on Soi 7 and in Angeles City, Philippines. In my opinion, I prefer the food here in Pattaya simply because Thailand has better ingredients than the PI. If you like typical American food. You will find some places do indeed alter dishes slightly to fit the locals more. For example, adding more sugar. Foreign owned restaurants will generally have authentic foods and there all of good ones around Pattaya.

We do good authentic Mexican and American food at Tequila Reef in Pattaya on Soi 7 and in Angeles City, Philippines. In my opinion, I prefer the food here in Pattaya simply because Thailand has better ingredients than the PI. If you like typical American food. You will find some places do indeed alter dishes slightly to fit the locals more. For example, adding more sugar. Foreign owned restaurants will generally have authentic foods and there all of good ones around Pattaya.

Tequila Reef Cantina Bar and Restaurant
Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road
Tel:(038) 414-035

Pattaya: Tequila Reef Pattaya Restaurant

tequilareef_banner_300.jpg

FACEBOOK - TWITTER - YOUTUBE

1_1_Philippines-Addicts-Logo-May-2012.jp

Join Philippines Addicts the World's largest Philippines Sex Travel and expat forum with over 62,000 members today! Be advanced immediately ONLY if you are advanced on Pattaya Addicts with over 150 posts. PM me on PIA!

I have noticed that many ethnic foods in America get dumbed down to American tastes. Does the reverse occur in Thailand? That is, do dishes from American and U.K. get altered to be more in in line with Thai tastes? If so, in what way?

Yes. They add chilli to everything. :-) Was eating in a restaurant and the waitress and the concept of not adding chilli was so foreign to her she was stood there dumbfounded. And after the food is served, it's still mildly spicy. She must be thinking "no chilli? I am sure he meant just a little."

come on over and find out!

it's certainly my intent to do so. just trying to gather info beforehand

It is kind of hard to describe.actually. I firmly believe that the Thais try to get it as close as possible but many times it is off just slightly. Your best bet is to try and find the places with farang owners as they should know more or less how the food is supposed to be.

An anecdotal story from 2001:

I was on my first trip to Thailand and was staying in BKK at the Nana hotel. I ordered American fried rice form the room service menu. When it arrived I sat down to eat and the rice was pink. I studied it curiously and thought, what the hell I will give it a go. As I was eating, I could taste something familiar but couldn't quite place it. Towards the end of the meal it finally clicked in my head. It was ketchup. What else would you put in American fried rice?

babydollsaddict.gif

I don't think their food is Americanised, there are sadly so many American fast food places, kfc, bk and the dreaded mac Donalds. They have a slightly different menu but the basics are there. One of the minor pleasures of pattaya is the food in the proper Thai places. Never can understand people from the states, UK, Australia etc visiting and wanting that fast food crap. Its ok if an emergency but nothing more lol.

If I'm understanding the question correctly, the answer in no.

Thais typically don't eat in Western restaurants unless they are with a Westerner and then there is a Thai menu on offer 99% of the time.

It would make no sense to alter Western food to appeal to Thais.

The exception would be KFC because just about every race/nationality eats there. What we call "extra crispy" at KFC in the States is called "spicy" here. What we call "original recipe" KFC is called "not spicy" here.

But in regular restaurants and cafes, American, British, German, French, etc., the answer is no. The food isn't altered to Thai tastes.

Actually a very good question. A few observations. Coca Cola is formulated different for Thai market. More sugar, less carbonation. Burger King uses beef from New Zealand, and more ketchup on their Whopper. KFC doesn't taste the same. McDonalds comes close but modifies their menu, samurai pork burger, corn ice cream, etc. getting a good non franchise hamburger or BBQ ribs here impossible. Ritz crackers made in Ireland, Indonesia, UK, available here don't taste close to same in USA. Twix candy bars made in Australia, don't come close to same taste as USA. Generally speaking in Thailand, adding ketsup, sugar, chilies and fish sauce to original recipes to meet local tastes. as I mentioned on another tread, Pizza doesn't come close, authentic sausage, pepperoni, salami, tomato paste hard to come by. Butter here is different taste rega

Rules where it is imported from. Bacon in many cases is different than most US products. So maybe not so much thatbrecipesmare altered, justbthatbthe ingredients we are used to are not available.

Although I haven't been to Thailand yet, I felt that the answer would probably be yes, simply because of my experiences in Germany and Denmark. Granted that was 30 years ago. 

I actually love to try the local food when I'm in a new place, but I find it interesting to see how how local tastes lead to changes in food.

For example, in Germany they have what they call curry wurst, which is their take on Indian spices, but what Germans call spicy is substantially less spice than what Indians call spicy.

I almost always ate jaegerschnitzel or zigeunerschnitzel in Germany, but I couldn't resist going to a McDonalds once, just for the cheap thrill of having a beer in a McDonalds. 

So, I plan on trying as much of the local food as I can, although I might draw the line at insects.

I should have drawn the line at deep fried frogs from a street vendor but gave it a go. My arse would say don't do it again lol!

Interesting question and you might include Aussie food as well. It started me thinking. What are dishes from America? To be honest I couldn’t answer the question about Australian food and thinking about english or american food I don’t get an immediate image. When we eat out we go to a restaurant based on a theme like Chinese, Mexican, Italian or Indian.

When I go to Thailand I am drawn to Thai food. Thai restaurants are abundant, popular and expensive in my home city. It is great to try different foods in Thailand and I do notice different flavours based on regions in Thailand. I don’t tend to crave for the meat and three veg meals when there is such a variety of Thai foods but I can understand why Expats might.

The trouble is that often there are changes in the ingredients and even a simple thing like sausages and eggs will taste different in Thailand. Most of the “western style” places that I have seen appear to be owned by a western owner so I am assuming they are trying to duplicate the food they have back home. They may have Thai cooks but they follow the recipe. The big difference seems to involve the ingredients rather than the cooking.

I befriended a restaurant owner in Bangkok who had spent a few years in Melbourne. He was introducing a Fusion Style of thai/western cuisine and I liked it alot. He followed the normal Thai practice of “open” cooking so you could watch your food being prepared and cooked. I questioned some ingredients and found they were the same as back home but a slightly different variety. Go to a Thai market and see how many different varieties of rice you can get.

So to answer the OP I don’t think they get "dumbed down to suit Thai tastes” but the food is often slighly diffeent. As mentioned earlier, adding chille is a common thing but you don’t have to do it.

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

Archived