IGNORED

Sophon Cable Internet vs 3BB Internet

wisemonkey

Anyone have experience with both? Which one was better, I am more concerned with reliability rather than speed.

Go for 3BB i had very bad experience with Sophon and TMN

Never used Sophon. Have some friends I think in VT2 that have it and say it is good but they rarely do isht on their computers. I have 3bb. Had it for 1.5 years. I get the high speed (16mb) package. It has been down 4 or 5 times in the last year. Usually for 1-5 hours. Half of the times it seemed it was their direct fault (BGP router changes or something). The other times, the line to the building seemed messed up or a some BS happened in the demarc etc.

I say the above noting it is the best I have heard of in Thailand. Many people will say ,"oh I never have issues;" but I use my Internet almost 24 hours a day (programs and jobs) and interactively at least 8 hours a day on average and have to rely on it. It seems more reliable than True or other options that other friends have that also use it alot. my total bandwith last month (up and down) was about 650GB (I know this from the apps and jobs) and I'd say that is high for most expats.

4-8 hours a year outage is pretty good and similar to what you would actually see in the west. Note I also lose electricity about 8 times a year, most for sub 1 minute but I have a reasonably beefy UPS that all computing and networking equipment connects into and lasts about 1 hour if needed.

One point, I test my speed via multiple methods a few times a month and I essentially get the speed they advertise most of the time. they also just bumped it up to about 18mbps for the same price to stay competitive.

Archived