IGNORED

When go use When

misteregg

Would someone please help me with regards to when to use เมื่อ ตอน and เวลา for the word when?

As I understand, ตอน is for a time in the past, เวลา means time, the time when and เมื่อ is for forming a question. I'm really not sure and I must have been asleep during this lesson.

Can anyone help me please?

Phil

Sent from my RM-825_apac_thailand_213 using Board Express

See you at Le Pub, soi Diamond.

Le Pub Facebook Page

Le Pub YouTube Channel

เมื่อ - is used for a time before e.g. เมื่อเช้า - this morning...

ตอน - is used for a time in the past e.g. ตอนที่ผมไปหาแม่...

เวลา - is used for when you generally do something e.g. เวลาผมไปเที่ยวเมืองไทยผม....

hope this helps.

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

I find the words that the Thai language uses for "time" to be a bit confusing. It takes time hearing them in use to figure out which one to use in a given situation. For instance, I use to say "nueng way la" for "one time" and came to understand it should be "nueng krang". I have a special section in my word list just for words dealing with time.

I have this word list in an excel file, but this forum does not allow uploading of this type of file so it you want it send me a PM with your email.

Barring that, here it is a bit messy, but cleaned up somewhat. There are four cells for each word; first Thai, then a quick English definition, then transliteration, then English again.

เวลา at (time) waehM laaM free time (available), daytime, nighttime, bedtime

ก่อน before, time gone by gaawnL (gaawnL waehM laaM)=before the time

ครั้ง [frequency] time; occasion; instance khrangH first, first time, next time, last time, once

คราว occasion; time; episode (like short time) khraaoM next time, this time

ตอน period of time; during…, interval; when... dtaawnM evening, morning, afternoon, now, late at night

นาน long time naanM, naanM thaoF raiM = how long?

เมื่อ [point in time] when; on (a date) meuuaF yesterday, last night, yesterday morning, just now

ที่แล้ว previous(ly), last theeF laaeoH last year, last month, last time, last game

กาล era, long time period gaanM, dtaL laawtL gaanM=forever

ก่อน before, eariler, prior to gaanL, dtaaeL gaawnL=before now, previously before; earlier; time gone by; prior to; in advance of

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable sub-human who has learned to wear shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house.

Robert Heinlein

shure cow = short time.

chuaaF khraaoM thaoF raiM = short time how much?

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable sub-human who has learned to wear shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house.

Robert Heinlein

shure cow = short time.

Maybe you could write your post in Thai. "sh" does not exist in Thai, so I have no idea what you are saying

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

Maybe you could write your post in Thai. "sh" does not exist in Thai, so I have no idea what you are saying

Short time how much = ชั่วคราวเท่าไร

best page for learning thai....

http://www.thai-language.com/dict

Absolutely agree. Learned a lot on how to read Thai from this site. For me this is absolutely the best site on the internet as a dictionary with multiple examples for every word and reference material for learning everything about the Thai language.

Robert Heinlein

Archived