IGNORED

I.C.E. In case of emergency

phuketrichard

This could prove to be very helpful to expats with contacts in their own countries. Please repost . US passports already have an "In case of emergency contact" line so why not mobile phones?

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory. If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence this 'ICE' (In Case of Emergency) Campaign.

The concept of 'ICE' is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As mobile phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name 'ICE' ( In Case Of Emergency). The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents there were always mobile phones with patients but they didn't know which number to call.

He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose.

In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the number you have stored as 'ICE'. Please forward this.

MOD; if u can think of a better location where more people would see, feel free to move

I think if the Thais looked through a Phone, and providing they knew what it means ICE would mostly be ignored unless they wanted Yabba or Frozen Water.

On a serious note I am in the Trade so to speak, and the last thing we worry about or seek out either in Phones, Wallets or about a Person are I.C.E details. Why because if badly injured we concentrate on dealing with this first, then at some later stage start to check for other information a person may not be able to give us. First point of call is NOK and the rest follow.

What when abroad we should always be doing, is carrying a Passport. I always Photo Copy mine and have a few about me. Maybe persons could when copying add details to the paper bit with stuff they think somebody may need !!!

Good idea Matey but as I said regarding the Thai's all will be lost in translation

Ghosty

you mean the thai's would look thru the phone before they stole it???

if this caught on universally same as dialing 911 for emergency it would be beneficial for all. All things start somewhere and thinking small like u is no help at all.

I realize people are first treated but once they arrive at the hospital and their phone is with them an the people knew about ICE they would look and see and than make the call.

I never carry my passport an most that do only carry a photocopy of the first page

you mean the thai's would look thru the phone before they stole it???

if this caught on universally same as dialing 911 for emergency it would be beneficial for all. All things start somewhere and thinking small like u is no help at all.

I realize people are first treated but once they arrive at the hospital and their phone is with them an the people knew about ICE they would look and see and than make the call.

I never carry my passport an most that do only carry a photocopy of the first page

Mate without being Rude, it never caught on in the UK despite some Media Coverage.

I have worked in Emergency Medicine for 25 Years and if you think that I am thinking small then that is up to you.

Best of Luck in doing this. I just gave my comments, but maybe I should of just said you are wasting you Fcuking time

Ghosty

I always keep my phone locked with a pass code so I'd be fucked!

Good idea though.

I have it on my mobile here in the US. I'm going to put it in my Thai mobile too, It can't hurt.

This is one of those ideas that sounds great in principle to non-ER, non-medical people, but it's actually 100% pointless. It's just like listing your blood type/etc and carrying around with you - 100% pointless. But it sounds good to non-ER people and it keeps getting passed around on the internet.

Archived