IGNORED

Help - unlocked phone keeps on running out of credit? wtf?

Droplet

This may be a noobie question for experienced mongers out there. My girl helped me to unlocked my samsung smart phone that was locked to vodafone. Bought a sim card and then some credits at 7-11. The trouble is after putting in the credit after 30min i keep on getting txts saying that theres no credits left (?) And I have not made any calls.

this has happened 3 times. The 2nd time I was able to get 2 txts 2 short calls in before credits leaked away. Anyone knows whats happening? And what settings I need to change on my phone to stop this from happening.

thanks,

EDIT: thanks for the leads. I googled it and found that for my phone I should turn off the "use data packet" thing on my phone. Will give this a try and see what happens. May this pst be useful reference. Now back to 7-11 to buy credit!

http://android-googler.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-stop-samsung-galaxy-y-from.html

Is the phone connecting to the internet and using all the credit up through data?

When i'm in LOS i keep the 3G/Cellular Data switch off on my iPhone so that doesn't happen.

Moral of the story - never let a Thai fuck around with your phone software, has happened to me too last trip.

Stevie

Yes, turn off the mobile internet.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Go and buy a cheap basic non smart phone and u will save your credit

I was thinking maybe she signed you up for one of those stupid spam message services, my girlfriend did that on an old sim card and it would eat up 3 baht every day so when you topped it up after a while of not using it all the credit would be gone.

My phone is connected to my facebook account here in UK but when i took it abroad i made damn sure it was logged out of the account and internet. That's probably what is eating your credit. My phone has quite a good little camera on it and I used this a lot in Pattaya and Kalasin on my trip, running the phone in airplane mode as an extra precaution.

I use a seperate older phone for my Thai sim card, and I suggest you buy a cheapie phone for calls and texts in Thailand. If i need the internet there are a lot of inexpensive net cafes around and also a lot of hotels/guest houses do provide free wifi fi for your laptop or notebook.

IF ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL WHERE IS THE REST OF MY PENIS?

yeah same thing happend to me but i had my old s2 unlocked at a vodafone store here in oz.i hardly ever use my phone over there but when i would try and use it i was always low on credit

I'd put a 100 baht on my phone and within three hours my phone would be empty I turn off 3G and that fixed it, I was thinking somebody was hacking into my phone stealing my baht as crazy as it sounds... but I do think its time I got a new phone

"Picky girls, don't get picked... simple as that."“It's a funny feeling being taken under the wing of a dragon, it's warmer than you'd thinkâ€

Yes, Turn off the Internet.

I had the same problem....

Is the phone connecting to the internet and using all the credit up through data?

When i'm in LOS i keep the 3G/Cellular Data switch off on my iPhone so that doesn't happen.

It happened to me, too. I used BlackBerry.

To stop the drain of your baths in it, go to Manage Connections, than mobile Network Options and turn off Data services and While Roaming. That way your your phone will work for talking and texting, only. And I keep it in 3G and 2G Network Mode. Hope this helps. Different manufacturers wil have slightly different settings to accomplish the same thing.

It's your Data roaming and background data settings that are killing your credit, I always turn these off and stop data syncing automatically. I always keep the mobile internet on for what's app and such and it never eats my credit...Im using a HTC Desire HD though.

yes it is eating away at the data plan... you can try turning off all push for mail, weather, updates etc. but my best advice is just get a data plan I bought a dtac plan for 600 or 800 baht for i think 3 gigs and i have been running my phone constant for the month and think i will come in under 1 gig used...

you can also turn off data in the iphone and turn off data in the android but will need to change the aps settings... like i said just get the bigger data plan and you won't get ripped off for this...

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my unlocked iPhone but mine wasn't the internet it was the push email. Turn that off and fixed it.

running the phone in airplane mode as an extra precaution........

.......If i need the internet there are a lot of inexpensive net cafes around and also a lot of hotels/guest houses do provide free wifi fi for your laptop or notebook.

I don't have a thai number as i find facebook messages wok just fine

I too leave my phone on Flight Mode, but i enable WIFI. There are many many bars that offer free wifi (you might need to ask the password).

There's not one bar in Soi 6 that i can't pick up a WIFI signal (sometimes from a surrounding bar), and i can almost say the same about LK Metro

Beer bars in other areas i can't comment on but i don't frequent many of them and Walking Street has a few gogos with wifi too

If you are using 1/2 call you can can turn on GPRS just dial *129*# or turn of *129*#

Different answer but worth saying. I bought a sim card here with free credit but haha the credit wasnt enabled until I topped up with more baht

Archived