IGNORED

What is the Thai word for Cheeky

Harry Brown

Can someone tell me what is the Thai word for cheeky. Not the literal sense of the word

But as in" you Cheeky little monkey" using the word playfully.

I cant find it in any dictionary and google just puts it into Thai script which I can't read and may be different to how I want to use the word cheeky.

http://translate.google.com/#auto/th/cheeky

My girlfriend confirms that is the closest word, that link will show you how to say it phonetically in English and also hear an audio sample of the word. She seems to think that word is used in a more serious way then cheeky might be used in most instances though.

http://translate.goo...#auto/th/cheeky

My girlfriend confirms that is the closest word, that link will show you how to say it phonetically in English and also hear an audio sample of the word. She seems to think that word is used in a more serious way then cheeky might be used in most instances though.

Thanks Ohyesuare,

I think that is the true meaning of the word as in "Hey mate you're a bit bloody cheeky" with a serious connotation.

Maybe to get my playful meaning across I would have to use a different word altogether, maybe my first example of how I wanted to use the word would just not translate how I intend for it to be used?

This one might also be appropriate:

ทะลึ่ง

thaH leungF

Capital letters at the end of each word indicates tone.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable sub-human who has learned to wear shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house.

Robert Heinlein

This one might also be appropriate:

ทะลึ่ง

thaH leungF

Capital letters at the end of each word indicates tone.

Thanks Oneday,

I will try this out, if I don't get slapped I will know I've got it right. LOL

Do you think it could be taken as playfulness if I were to use this word with the same expression as I would the English version or would this still be taken literally

It's definitely "tá~lʉ̂ng" (ta-leung) or ทะลึ่ง in Thai ....

Anyone who teases/winds up the girls in a playful kind of way will have been called that before.

The one that google translate gives you is naa-daan which I've never heard anyone use.

Google gives the following English meanings for tah-leung:

adjective

assuming

sassy

perky

bumptious

cheeky

saucy

flippant

ill-advised

impertinent

immodest

impudent

insolent

pert

presumptuous

presuming

brash

brassy

brazen-faced

forward

brazen

bold

verb

perk

adverb

flippantly

Hope that's what you're looking for :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's definitely "tá~lʉ̂ng" (ta-loong) or ทะลึ่ง in Thai ....

Anyone who teases/winds up the girls in a playful kind of way will have been called that before.

The one that google translate gives you is naa-daan which I've never heard anyone use.

Thanks for the explanation MartyBKK,

I think this is what I have been looking for

Thanks Oneday,

I will try this out, if I don't get slapped I will know I've got it right. LOL

Do you think it could be taken as playfulness if I were to use this word with the same expression as I would the English version or would this still be taken literally

Yep, Taleung is the nearest you'll find for 'cheeky'

I've been using this word for years.. and I've not been slapped yet lol

Yep, Taleung is the nearest you'll find for 'cheeky'

I've been using this word for years.. and I've not been slapped yet lol

Cheers mate thanks for the confirmation.

I have always used tahleung in a sexy connotation with say a girl who doesnt appreciate it.

By using the word i am suggesting that I was being improper and am climbing down.

Also the other way round. If the girl is being a bit obvious I will say tahleung and she will back down a bit

Hmm I think when my wife says 'ta-loong' it means being a bit rude in a sexual kind of way......

Hmm I think when my wife says 'ta-loong' it means being a bit rude in a sexual kind of way......

Maybe she should learn Thai :D

And yes, I know she is .....

See the comprehensive list of meanings listed above.

yeah tah lueng, changes from cheeky to rude as that long list posted, connotation is the determination.

Member since Dec 06.

กวรตีน - kuan teen - has a slight negative connotation but otherwise means cheeky.

Thanks, I really want the playful interpretation rather than the negative, but this info is still useful to keep me out of trouble LOL

กวรตีน - kuan teen - has a slight negative connotation but otherwise means cheeky.

This is actually means to 'wind up', and can be serious fighting talk with Thai males due to the 'teen' part meaning the sole of the foot.

ทะลึ่ง tah lueng is definitely cheeky

This is actually means to 'wind up', and can be serious fighting talk with Thai males due to the 'teen' part meaning the sole of the foot.

ทะลึ่ง tah lueng is definitely cheeky

Thanks for clarifying that for me appreciated

Archived