IGNORED

Ling Ling Learn Thai....Xylanic approved, one hell of an app and Game

Xylanic

Actually they only have it for Thai, Spanish and English. In the settings you can change your native language to one of many choices but the audio is only in the teaching language. Too bad...I'm learning Russian too. :)    In addition to adding new packs for Thai he said he wants to add more languages in the future.

The developer is traveling around Isaan right now and he said he's studying Thai so I had high hopes for it but it does feel like he just took a word list and put it in Google translate or something similar. Like Rosetta Stone and others, if it's designed the same for each language then there's going to be a lot of questionable material. Oh well, it's a fun app but just doesn't live up to its potential...yet. We'll see if the developer makes any upgrades to it.

Actually they only have it for Thai, Spanish and English. In the settings you can change your native language to one of many choices but the audio is only in the teaching language. Too bad...I'm learning Russian too. :)    In addition to adding new packs for Thai he said he wants to add more languages in the future.

The developer is traveling around Isaan right now and he said he's studying Thai so I had high hopes for it but it does feel like he just took a word list and put it in Google translate or something similar. Like Rosetta Stone and others, if it's designed the same for each language then there's going to be a lot of questionable material. Oh well, it's a fun app but just doesn't live up to its potential...yet. We'll see if the developer makes any upgrades to it.

As a note,

I am also starting to study Russian. I feel being tri lingual in Russian, English and Thai will be well desired in Thailand in the near future of 5 years or so and bring potential opportunities even without a ton of degrees, etc.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I work for the Night Wish group and The Pattaya News in Pattaya, Thailand. I run monthly meetups and bar crawls.. I also run the weekly Newbie Wednesday meetup sessions at Sexy in the City on Soi 6. Sexy in the City is located across from Queen Victoria Inn. 

My thoughts exactly.  I don't have a degree and the skills I got from my previous jobs are pretty much useless in Thailand. If I'm ever in a situation where I have to try to find work here, hopefully being fluent in those 3 languages (and possibly others someday) will be enough for me to find something here. Hopefully it won't come to that and I can just keep learning as a hobby. :)

Hi. I use "LingLing Learn Thai" since one week now, after I read about it in this thread. Yes it's a very addictive app. :)

Agree that the choice of words can sometimes be strange. "bomb" by example, in the first daily list of words, is not really a word I use so often in my daily conversations :wink:

Perplex about UserReviews on Google Play. I seldom see so many false/wrong comments about an app... Like "Now i am able to speak thai almost fluently. Time worthy app" just 1 month after the app exists! From what I saw you just learn some words (daily lists) and learn to read them quickly. You certainly not "Learn Thai". You need to learn reading first, and to speak you need to learn basic structure of Thai sentences. This app is just a good way to learn some vocabulary. It's a complement to some other learning.

To kikenyoy: You seem to be in contact with developers. The main point is surely the vocabulary list, but I see another one that we often find in other learning-games: the "Zen" mode. It's like the game, but without score and without any time limit. You take your time to read all, to verify you know well all words, ... No stress :wink:

Other point: Seems to me that when you have marked one word as "known" in the Words Trainer, there is no more way to ear this word again...? Could be added in the "Zen" mode by example.

Ok. I return to  "LingLing Learn Thai"; with a score of 5000 I am far far behind you... :wink:

This app is just a good way to learn some vocabulary. It's a complement to some other learning.

Yes, but that's the longest and most tedious part of learning a foreign language. I was really excited to see that this app was going to have 20,000 words since that's a common estimate for being highly proficient in a language. I bought the first extra vocab pack which now gives me 1250 words. As is, I'm on the fence if I'm going to buy more or not. It says I've learned 700 words, but that's 700 English words. There are so many duplicates on the Thai side that it might only be 500 or less Thai words.

I received an email reply a while ago but I haven't heard from him since. I just sent him another email, so we'll see. In addition to the translation mistakes, I suggested a "manual review" mode which would be similar to the zen mode you mentioned, and a way to learn more than 40 words per day since there are many times where I already knew all the words for the day and wanted to continue learning instead of having to wait until the next day. It does have reviews sometimes for known words so you will see them again eventually.

Archived