IGNORED

American craft beer?

BillyBernard

Like the title says, what's the availability of american craft beer in Pattaya? Non-existant or it can be found?

I'm thinking sipping a nice IPA full of amarillo hops in the nice warm weather sounds quite nice...

In the UK it is called "beer on draft" is that what you are inquiring about?

Like the title says, what's the availability of american craft beer in Pattaya? Non-existant or it can be found?

I'm thinking sipping a nice IPA full of amarillo hops in the nice warm weather sounds quite nice...

Come to Portland Oregon if you want that. I have never seen any microbrews not to mention a coors light. Our strip clubs are fully nude but it's no LOS

The Hopf Brauhaus on Beach Road brew their own lager. Also wheat beer, I think.

Retired

A couple of good reasons there are very few micro breweries in LOS…

1) Hops do not grow well in Thailand. You need cool nights to get any kind of quality. The cost of importing is high, and what is imported are not a fresh product; usually a pellet product.

2) Cleanliness… you need extremely clean facilities (cleaner than most hospitals) and pure water to keep a yeast strain from failing. I have seen neither in Pattaya.

3) Climate; It’s too hot in LOS most of the time to be able to control fermentation without a climate controlled brewhouse and fermentation area. The cost of AC in a facility needed for a small micro brewery would push the cost of the beer up. Most small craft breweries in Northern California and the Pacific Northwest have perfect climates for production/proliferation of ale yeasts; lager yeasts generally are less used and need refrigerated fermentation.

My theory for drinking beer is “when in Rome…” hence I drink Singha, Leo, Chang or go to Samsong when in LOS… and I wish I was there right now.

"It takes a lot of good beer to make a great wine"

• 2 weeks later...

Only place I can think of that would have a chance to have it is Villa Supermarket in the Avenue shopping centre, if not in Pattaya then in their larger stores in Bangkok. I've never seen any of the independent importers advertise the stuff but if there is an American Club, similar to what they have in Singapore aligned with the Embassy, then that would be another place to look as those clubs usually have "homeland" products on shelf.

• 2 weeks later...
The Hopf Brauhaus on Beach Road brew their own lager. Also wheat beer, I think.

Great, thanks. Will head down there when next in Pattaya.

Archived