IGNORED

I've been objectified, and I liked it!

BigWoody

This made me laugh today.

Went out with my female friend today 'strictly platonic' for a trip in her car, well we ended needing fuel so pulled into the garage. Whilst being fuelled up (me sat in the passenger seat) she's recognized by a friend of her's on a motorbike, who sticks her head through the drivers open window to speak to her.

Now the conversation in Thai on seeing me sat there goes like this.

Motorbike Lady: who's that?

Car driver: this is my friend.

Me: Hello

Motorbike Lady: Where you get.

Car driver: My friend long time. You like.

Motorbike Lady: I want one too.

Car driver: You want one too? Same same with blue eyes.

Motorbike Lady: You give me Farang.

Car driver: What for?

Motorbike Lady: Want baby blue eyes.

Me: "Laughing now" "Yes very funny" "Sanuk Sanuk"

Motorbike Lady: Give me your mobile number, "spoken in a serious tone"

This would never happen to me in England, did make me laugh, anyone with any similar objectified experiences.

Objectification is the process by which an abstract concept is made as objective as possible in the purest sense of the term. It is also treated as if it is a concrete thing or physical object. In this sense the term is a synonym to reification.

This term is also used to describe the treatment of a human being as a thing, disregarding his/her personality or sentience. PhilosopherMartha Nussbaum[1] has argued that something is objectified if any of the following factors is present:

• Instrumentality – if the thing is treated as a tool for one's own purposes;
  • Denial of autonomy – if the thing is treated as if lacking in agency or self-determination;
  • Inertness – if the thing is treated as if lacking in agency;
  • Ownership – if the thing is treated as if owned by another;
  • Fungibility – if the thing is treated as if interchangeable;
  • Violability – if the thing is treated as if permissible to damage or destroy;
  • denial of subjectivity – if the thing is treated as if there is no need to show concern for the 'object's' feelings and experiences.

Archived