IGNORED

phone costs

JoeDelaney

If you've already got the sim card you should be able to check the providers rates on their website.

Prices vary but most companies have a 3 digit number to put before the number you are calling to get a reduced rate. With DTAC I pay about 5 baht a minute to the uk for calls (can't remember text charges).

If you need to speak a lot on the phone it might be worth having a Skype or similar account.

If it's for calling back home, and if you are the one doing the calling, do Skype. I used it last time I was in Pattaya and worked flawlessly for a fraction of the cost I would have paid to call using a Thai cell. If others are calling you from home, or if the cell is to stay in touch with girls you meet in Thailand, then getting a local cell phone makes sense.

Check the website of which phone carrier you got but overseas calls can be expensive. I use Apple facetime and works good

Craig

Farang = Walking ATM. TG's push the right buttons and money comes out. PIN = BBBJ

Hi,

I have the distinct feeling that I am about to make myself look really stupid but........I should be used to that by now.

How did you get hold of a Thai Sim in advance of your visit to LOS?

I am returning to Thailand end of Jan/early Feb time and I had planned to purchase a (micro) Sim at the Airport before I leave for Pats. If however I am able to get hold of one before I start my journey then so much the better.

How did you accomplish it?

Colin

Hi,

I have the distinct feeling that I am about to make myself look really stupid but........I should be used to that by now.

I am returning to Thailand end of Jan/early Feb time and I had planned to purchase a (micro) Sim at the Airport before I leave for Pats. If however I am able to get hold of one before I start my journey then so much the better.

Colin

i bought it off ebay only £2

Cheers

😜😃😜😃😜😃http://www.countdown...tdown-clocks-2/

Hi Bighilly,

Thanks. Yes, I am embarrassed to say that I did not think of the obvious.

By the way I live in Gateshead.

Regards.

Colin

Hi,

Colin

You get them at the ais counter or true counter or happy counter in the arrivals hall. They even are nice enough to setup your phone with correctapn for you

I wonder how the seller made it worth it. They cost a quid to buy so selling for 2 including postage doesnt seem worth it. Im guessing that it is brand new & unused.

Theres a good business for somebody. Sell on your used SIM with all your FL's, ST & LT already installed. You could also include a few nutcases and LB's for a bit of bonus fun...

LOS. Gotta Love It.

hi all, just quick question bout phone costs, got thai sim card in advance of first trip in 11 days, was wondering how much calls and texts are back to uk??

Thanks in advance :GoldenSmile1:

Hi, I found it expensive to call with Thai number no matter where you call. Best option for me, internet is free in most hotel. Just download a internet program, I use voipgain, internet calls, just put 10 Euro in it and for 3 months you can make free calls to land line in most European countries and beside the calls to mobile will be cheap too. Another option is to buy telephone cards that you can use it with your mobile, for example Marhaba telephone cards. Good luck

Don't buy a Thai SIM second hand, they have expirations and stop working after two months inactivity AFAIK. Really no need as it is easy to buy on arrival in BKK airport, or for that matter absolutely any 7-11 anywhere in the country. Buy in BKK though if you want to set up a data plan as they will sort it for you there and then; 7-11 only know how to sell you the card and top it up. SIM cost is only around 49B depending on exactly which one you want.

I use my iPhone for business calls and incoming calls from home. I utilize the ever present free wifi to place outgoing calls via Skype.

I have found it useful to have a cheap phone for local calls/texts and the sim cards are very cheap. If I can manage trips closer together, the number remains the same - current sim is good through end February; if not, I just get a new number.

One time, girl was checking out my iPhone and must have gotten my number off it - she called me a few times and made a general ass of herself. I like having the local number while I'm in Thailand.

Not sure about cost to UK, but with True Money sim, dialing 006 before USA country code 1' gets me a rate of like 3B per minute. I live and work here, I do Sixty minute conference calls multiple times weekly to the States, use mobile and Skype, spend less than 2000B a month. Have not used a land line. Have no desk phone at work. It's that cheap using True and Skype.

And I have an unlimited data package from True Money on this here I pad, I don't bother with wi-fi, I only use it in 3G mode, fast enough, .......works almost everywhere, except a few remote villages, .......and the cost.......481B a month........$16USD.

Unlimited for 481B? That's 450+VAT, right? How do you get that, I pay over double that on True-H for the 7GB 'unlimited' package (999B+VAT.)

I don't particularly need to make phone calls so if it is some sort of data only SIM that is fine.

Yes, I assume it is a data only sim for I pad, it was a 6 month special, walked into true and they offered it, I signed up, I get a monthly bill, can pay at true or 7-11. You know, I use Skype to call from I pad, never tried to call otherwise so assume it is data only, although there is a phone number associated with the sim.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Looking for prepaid really as although I spend a lot of time here it is on and off and I don't want to be paying for it if I'm not in Thailand for a few months.

Archived