IGNORED

Recommendations for highest quality sushi? Vietnamese Pho? Regardless of price.

The Selfie Warrior

Dear Sonny, you are correct history, spelen and gramer are not my strongpoints! I am embarrassed to have wasted your time! can we please start a fresh relationship ?

Dear Sonny, you are correct history, spelen and gramer are not my strongpoints! I am embarrassed to have wasted your time! can we please start a fresh relationship ?

No problem my friend. Afterall i was simply debating your stance on 'you could argue that Pho is a Khmer dish'.

Pleased i was able to clear that up for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer Fuji, but there is also Zen on the same floor.

Smaller menu, cheaper prices, but less Sushi/Sashimi, there is Ya Yoi, again on the same floor.

All these are very busy with Russians nowadays.

I think Zen is the better of those mentioned.. You'll pay for it though...

Generally Sushi/Sashimi is real limited in LOS...

Otherwise, if price is no object... get on a plane for Tokyo... ;)

Not Pho but oh so good. I won't spell this correctly but it's quit tee oaw. Found this soup in front of Big C near Pattaya Thai and Suk Hwy. I think it was 35 baht. The pic is large, sorry. I'm using a mac and I'm having a hard time resizing.

IMG_1565.JPG

I prefer Fuji, but there is also Zen on the same floor.

Smaller menu, cheaper prices, but less Sushi/Sashimi, there is Ya Yoi, again on the same floor.

All these are very busy with Russians nowadays.

Had lunch at Central Festival mall yesterday.... pretty sure I went to Zen. Sushi was pretty decent, nice big cuts/pieces. Not amazing, but good enough I would go again if at the mall.

One strange thing I noticed was that the ginger they have was much saltier than I'm used to. I'm not sure if it was just that place, or if it's a characteristic of ginger in Thailand in general. Ill try anothe sushi place tomorrow and find out.

• 5 weeks later...

Had lunch at Central Festival mall yesterday.... pretty sure I went to Zen. Sushi was pretty decent, nice big cuts/pieces. Not amazing, but good enough I would go again if at the mall.

One strange thing I noticed was that the ginger they have was much saltier than I'm used to. I'm not sure if it was just that place, or if it's a characteristic of ginger in Thailand in general. Ill try anothe sushi place tomorrow and find out.

Correction to my previous post, the first place was Sukishi, not Zen.

Next i tried Zen, horrible slow service and bland sushi, it was not even busy so there is no excuse. I had to ask 3 times and stand up to walk out just to get someone to bring my check.

Today i tried Fuji, it was acceptable, similar in quality to Sukishi, and they are right next to each other, so just pick whichever has a shorter wait.

Correction to my previous post, the first place was Sukishi, not Zen.

Next i tried Zen, horrible slow service and bland sushi, it was not even busy so there is no excuse. I had to ask 3 times and stand up to walk out just to get someone to bring my check.

Today i tried Fuji, it was acceptable, similar in quality to Sukishi, and they are right next to each other, so just pick whichever has a shorter wait.

The wait staff service drives me crazy in thailand. It's bad for me because I put myself through college waiting on tables so it drives me crazy. Best meal for me last Sept was the Sunday buffet at the Edge, Hilton. I know that's not pho but you seem to appreciate a good meal.

Food service in Thailand.......please, don't get me started. All I will say, it is VERY dumbed down, took me a year of living here, after 85 visits to get the patience to deal with it. You don't know how many places I've boycotted for 3-6 months and then eventually go back to out of lack of choice. The killer is it is so inconsistent. Can be good three times and then really bad two times. You never know.

Food service in Thailand.......please, don't get me started. All I will say, it is VERY dumbed down, took me a year of living here, after 85 visits to get the patience to deal with it. You don't know how many places I've boycotted for 3-6 months and then eventually go back to out of lack of choice. The killer is it is so inconsistent. Can be good three times and then really bad two times. You never know.

One thing to keep in mind is that Thailand, just like Vietnam and other SE Asian countries, runs on a different set of service rules. They aren't as attentive as western countries in terms of asking you if you need something, but it is perfectly acceptable for you to bark requests or yell out for the waiter/waitress to come over. That would be rude where I'm from, but that is expected here. Takes a little to get used to, but it means you have control over service frequency. That being said, I do hate two things: 1) When you walk in and just sit down, and they hover by you to take your order even though you havent even looked at the menu, and 2) when the waiter/waitress hangs around after giving you change. Could be a cultural thing again, but talk about tip pressure.

Anyway, back to pho and sushi. Central mall for sushi and passable authentic ramen. I say Central mall more for the turnover more than anything else. Because those places are typically busy, you can be assured that the piece of fish you are eating is probably new and fresh. Also, I saw at least two sabu-sabu joints as well. Problem with most Thai noodle shops is that they like their noodles mushy/overcooked. That is a critical error for pho and ramen. I did however find a passable pho at the 24 hour restaurant right after the Walking Street entrance, on the left near the diving mannequin. It was on the first page of the menu, just called "beef soup". Just be ready for some adventurous cuts of beef. I love them, in all their tendon-gelatinous glory.

One thing to keep in mind is that Thailand, just like Vietnam and other SE Asian countries, runs on a different set of service rules. They aren't as attentive as western countries in terms of asking you if you need something, but it is perfectly acceptable for you to bark requests or yell out for the waiter/waitress to come over. That would be rude where I'm from, but that is expected here. Takes a little to get used to, but it means you have control over service frequency. That being said, I do hate two things: 1) When you walk in and just sit down, and they hover by you to take your order even though you havent even looked at the menu, and 2) when the waiter/waitress hangs around after giving you change. Could be a cultural thing again, but talk about tip pressure.

Anyway, back to pho and sushi. Central mall for sushi and passable authentic ramen. I say Central mall more for the turnover more than anything else. Because those places are typically busy, you can be assured that the piece of fish you are eating is probably new and fresh. Also, I saw at least two sabu-sabu joints as well. Problem with most Thai noodle shops is that they like their noodles mushy/overcooked. That is a critical error for pho and ramen. I did however find a passable pho at the 24 hour restaurant right after the Walking Street entrance, on the left near the diving mannequin. It was on the first page of the menu, just called "beef soup". Just be ready for some adventurous cuts of beef. I love them, in all their tendon-gelatinous glory.

Agreed. A couple things you said resonate. Turnover. I've learned not to eat too early or too late or anyplace without customers. Always seem to be served what was left from the night before or sitting day. Had a breakfast come out in about 60 seconds, enough time to micro wave it, not enough time to cook it. My real pet peeve, in US server will take your request and go to the kitchen straight away. Here, you order, then they get stopped once by another customer, then get stopped again on the way to the kitchen. Guess how the orders come out, #3 gets served first, and original order many times gets lost or fucked up. Also, always have them repeat your order. They never really listen, hear what they want, are usually distracted by a co worker, AND its not the language. This is partly why I call it dumbed down, If you know what I mean. And yes, I always make sure I sit with a view of the staff so I can hand signal and call out when needed as they will not come by and can care less whether everything is in order. More interested in chatting with co workers, primping

Themselves and eating behind the counter.

The wait staff service drives me crazy in thailand. It's bad for me because I put myself through college waiting on tables so it drives me crazy. Best meal for me last Sept was the Sunday buffet at the Edge, Hilton. I know that's not pho but you seem to appreciate a good meal.

Thanks, had been planning to check out the Hilton, just keep forgetting about it when I'm hungry lol

Archived