IGNORED

iPhone 5 help please

kermo80

Hi,

I just had new iphone 5 which is on Vodafone, will it work in Thailand with a Thai sim does anyone know?

Can you get iphone 5 unlocked for any network??

Sorry I'm a total newbie with iPhones.

No you will need to get it unlocked

you may find it hard picking up a Thai sim card for it

the phone has only been released in Thailand a few weeks

And on the sixth day God Created Bobby Moore

if you do get it unlocked

get it unlocked by Vodafone or apple

And on the sixth day God Created Bobby Moore

What did you have before the 5?

I was facing the same issues, however nano sims are starting to appear but you may need to shop around a little. They may even be at the various airport vendors in arrivals. If you can't get it unlocked before you go it can be done at many places in a few minutes for a small fee - no issues there.

In the end I left my new 5 at home and took my old 3gs instead.

I was also worried about damaging my new phone, not to mention issues with it getting lost or stolen.

I have got a Samsung galaxy s that I'm using at the moment, the iPhone 5 is still in the box !!!

Just been looking on the net and for a proper permanent unlock its coming up at £79, as I don't want to have the phone jail break.

Swamp donkey

Thanks I will ring Vodafone first and see what they say.

Does anybody know the cost fo unlocking the i5?

How much are data packages?

I have had the samen phone number for many years.

Can I keep that number on the mini card?

S C

The 5 uses a nano SIM,so that may present a challenge in Pattaya (or not).When you say "I have had the same phone number for many years.Can I keep that number on the mini card?",I assume that you mean the phone number in Yurrup,correct?If so,unlocking the 5 and using a Thai Sim will not affect your number in Yurrup.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it

helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but

at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

okay, after reading all that, just call me none the wiser;let's have some instruction, please, in words of one syllable, as it were. without any abbreviations or techo- speak, about how to arrive in,say, Pattaya, with no phone, and starting from scratch, in easily comprehensible steps, purchase a handset that will function for a good few weeks.....

they have cellphones you can buy when you're there to rent when you land at the airport it's one of the more popular destinations. It will most likely be a nokia phone. They range from 10-25 usd a week depending on how complicated a phone u get. on a side note if you bought the iphone 5 at retail price 700 usd you can call your carrier and they may provide an unlock code for your phone. And to convert a sim to a micro sim http://www.solutios.com/simcutting/.

Just call Vodafone and ask them if they will unlock your IPhone 5 for you. It often depends on your contract and how long you've been with them but Three UK did it for me for a small fee. They then instruct Apple to unlock your IPhone which usually takes a few days. They will give you instructions on how to complete the process.

Due to the difficulty in obtaining nano-sims in Thailand so far I bought a cheap nano-sim cutter from Amazon and bought an ordinary SIM at Bangkok airport with a data package and cut it down to nano size with the cutting tool. This procedure has worked perfectly in both Thailand and The Philippines.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

after the unlock from Apple you need to synchronise the phone with iTunes, using another SIM Card than Vodafone. Then it will work in Thailand

okay, after reading all that, just call me none the wiser;let's have some instruction, please, in words of one syllable, as it were. without any abbreviations or techo- speak, about how to arrive in,say, Pattaya, with no phone, and starting from scratch, in easily comprehensible steps, purchase a handset that will function for a good few weeks.....

I'm wondering the same myself. I've been doing research and I found that the best option so far is to go to the 4th Floor of the MBK Shopping Center in Bangkok. They will have everything you need regarding unlocking a current phone or buying a new phone. Luckily for me, I fly into Bangkok so that will be my first mission upon arrival. I have an Iphone but I don't wanna bring it with me. I'm looking to buy a cheap smartphone for 500-1000 Baht then buy top ups. I've read that the sim card for True is free and comes with 10 minutes free...enough to activate the phone. Then you can buy additional top ups at stores like 7-11 and such. I'm not too sure about Pattaya however.

Managed to get my phone unlocked today,

After speaking to Vodafone they said they would unlock my phone for free :) they say the charge is normally £70!!

Got the email this morning confirming its unlocked and to connect my phone to iTunes.

Thanks swamp donkey, you saved me £70. If your in pattaya between 29 dec and 16 jan I will shout you a beer or few ...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ....

I have an iphone 5 as well however it is factory unlocked...i was wondering if those nano sims are easily available in Pattaya or at the BKK airport?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Just get a normal sim and gobo tuk com. Ask someone there to make it into micro sim.

I brought one of the cutters of eBay.

Works great, just like a stapler it cuts off all excess plastic with one press.

• 3 weeks later...

I took my girlfriend a Iphone 5 in late December from USA and they seem to have the smaller sim cards in Bangkok/Korat and Pattaya for it along with many accessories.

She took it to the mall in Korat but the first place could not unlock it for her so she tried another place and waiting to see if it works out.

When I got to bangkok airport they wouldnt let my pigeons in without immersing them in sheep dip. Now they fly but they have shrunk  Is there a telephone shop I can buy grain that is small enough for their little throats. I bought a sim cutter at tukcom but its really boring chopping and preparing their dinner. Someone said a pharmacy has a tablet cutter that will split them but the first bird must have got contaminated as it doubled in size and burst.Now I have wrapped all the rest in sellotape but they cant fly.

What did you have before the 5?

I was facing the same issues, however nano sims are starting to appear but you may need to shop around a little. They may even be at the various airport vendors in arrivals. If you can't get it unlocked before you go it can be done at many places in a few minutes for a small fee - no issues there.

In the end I left my new 5 at home and took my old 3gs instead.

I was also worried about damaging my new phone, not to mention issues with it getting lost or stolen.

I currently use a iPhone 5 but i also have an old iPhone 3gs that was used on AT&T's network in the US. What would the process be for being able to use the 3gs for calls and texts while in Patts? Do i need to have anything done before i arrive? I am not to familiar with the whole network/unlock/sim process. 

I currently use a iPhone 5 but i also have an old iPhone 3gs that was used on AT&T's network in the US. What would the process be for being able to use the 3gs for calls and texts while in Patts? Do i need to have anything done before i arrive? I am not to familiar with the whole network/unlock/sim process. 

It will probably need to be unlocked in order for you to use a Thai SIM. 

This can easily be done in Pattaya, but you miss the opportunity of sourcing the 3-5 vendors that are located at the airport for the best Thai sim for you. Can still get a sim in Pattaya though.

You can do it before you leave. Googling "unlock AT&T 3GS" gets plenty of results, like this;

http://techland.time.com/2012/04/11/unlock-an-att-iphone-in-5-easy-steps/

Archived