IGNORED

getting to Full Moon Party from Koh Samui - any tips?

pirate69

hey guys, im heading to Koh Samui from 27-30 December. there's a full moon party on Koh Phangan on the 28th that im keen on checking out, does anyone have any tips on what time to leave Koh Samui for it, how much it costs by ferry etc and any other advice that would be handy?

cheers,

Jimmy.

Dont drink

Dont take drugs

Be street smart

Take photos

of course its not the answer you were expecting! But its the answer which will keep this board alive through your picture! :) (inc you)

:D

A ferry leaves Samui for Haad Rin approx 6 times a day and costs less than 100 baht. This only goes in the day time and will be packed. The December FMP is traditionally the busiest. Other ferries go into Tong Sala which is the main port on KP.

There will be lots of companies running boats to and from the FMP from Samui so you can book one when you get to the island. I have never made the trip between the 2 islands for a FMP party so I am not sure of the cost. There have been some fatalities due to over loaded speed boats but things seemed to have been cleaned up in that department recently.

The trick with a FMP is not to get there too early and pace yourself. Basically everyone starts drinking buckets at 6 pm and by 2 am the beach is a mess. Between the hours of 9 pm and 1 am you cannot move on the beach and the tide is always high in December and the beach is therefore narrower. Leave Samui later and stay at the party later is my advice, the party is much better after 2 am when it gets slightly less busy and all the smashed backpackers are in a coma somewhere. The sunrise on Haad Rin is worth staying up for.

If anyone offers you anything illegal on the beach then smile and walk away. The place is full of out of town police looking for tea money.

If you intend to get there by Speed Boat,I strongly suggest you invest in a waterprroof bag for your cash,Phone,etc.When you get On/off the boat you might find you will be upto your waist in the sea and the journey there and back can get you soaked too.Later on at night the beach waterline will look like a scene from the 'Dunkirk' evacuation.Better to take the Ferry to 'Had Rin' and stay all night.

Leve your Credit cards/Valuables back in your hotel safe.Just take Cash.

Do not leave your drink unattended as it might get 'Spiked'

Yes, Thousands of People have a great time at FMP's but sadly some of them end up in a very bad way and some have died at these events.

If you are going with someone then agree on a meet up place if you get seperated/Lost.

Be aware that there are Pickpockets and Drug dealers at work.

Do not get into arguments/Confrontations. Just smile and walk away.

Don't accept anything from anyone offering you anything on the cheap.There's always a catch.Make sure it's not You.

The Tourist and Thai Police will be there as well as a emergency first aid station -always busy.

*Google 'FMP' for more info*

Enjoy the Full Moon,Offshore lightening storms,The Party and the Sunrise.

Have a good (safe) time.

Edited by cc7up

thanks all for the the tips and advice, much appreciated! im veteran traveller of 51 countries so far so im pretty good at being aware of whats going on around me, even in states of drunkenness! im not stupid enough to take drugs so i wont have to worry about that and my drink never leaves my hand until its empty! my main query is pretty much just getting between the islands, cheers for the info on that :D

Ignore speed boats all together, the ferry is only 45 mins. I bought all my alcohol in the 7/11 just cause I don't trust what's going in the buckets. Make sure you don't get tied down in one area for too long, walk up and down the beach to experience the different music styles and crowds they bring. It's a good time the FMP, enjoy it

The ferry only runs in the day so unless you want to get to the FMP at 6 pm (and believe me you don't) then speed boats are the best and probably only option.

The musical styles are basically pretty average techo and every bar has it's own sound system which results in the some pretty offensive sound clash where you can't really make out one DJ from the guy mixing 15 meters away from him.

I would stick to the beer, the stuff they put in those buckets is good for one thing only and that's memory loss and the hangover sucks.

Warm Up bar away from the beach in Haad Rin is a decent place to get away from the crowds earlier in the night and they do play some decent music.

if you dont mind me hi-jacking this topic with a post, would like to know ways to get to koh samui from Phuket? ive found on the net that mini van to koh samui then ferry to koh pha nang or fly to koh samui then onto koh pha nang...

Would like to know the best and cheapest method? people say van as you get to see the country as you drive by, others say plane as you get there quicker. Ill be with a group of 7, so should be able to rustle up a deal on a van...looking for rough prices on both vans and planes.

also accom? whats the best bet. stay close to fmp? or stay away and taxi it? read of break and enters during the fmp. Also is it best to book in advance or will you always find a place during the fmp period? looking to stay on a few more days before/after and check out the islands waterfalls etc...will be in Phuket in April 2013 and theres a fmp on 25th April, if that helps with prices on accom, flights, boats, vans etc.. and contribute to accom vacancies as you mentioned earlier that december is busy time for fmp.

thanks in advance.

Bitches aint shit but Hoes & Tricks

Get a van to the port near Surat and get on a ferry to Samui, it's pretty straight forward and cheap. Lots of places to hire vans and a driver in Phuket.

As for the FMP itself I prefer to stay close to the action and have a base and not have to worry about getting to and from Haad Rin on the day. Haad Rin starts to get busy a few days before the FMP. If you arrive 2-3 days before you will fine somewhere but booking is also not a bad option.