IGNORED

Always speak Rs as they are Ls?

Sofa King High

I posted a topic some time ago that cleared up the R vs L formal vs informal business. When I learn new words however, I learn the formal way and can be throw off by TGs substituting an L. So is this a hard and fast rule or are there cases where an R cannot be pronounced as an L?

i thought it was cos some are lazy and it's easier to sound an L than roll an R, it would suite Jonathan Woss but then theyd be w's not L's.

Any how, packing finished :Flying:

Edited by dave-

when a BG asks my name i tell them it is Rodderick, not one of them can say it but you get a hell of a laugh hearing them try lol

Loddalick

Stevie

when a BG asks my name i tell them it is Rodderick, not one of them can say it but you get a hell of a laugh hearing them try lol

Loddalick

I guess that answers that then thanks!

...Wow... just dawned on me that I really should have made the connection ages ago considering the r in my name lol :Think1:

i thought it was cos some are lazy and it's easier to sound an L than roll an R, it would suite Jonathan Woss but then theyd be w's not L's.

Any how, packing finished :Flying:

Meanwhile, I have 16 days left on my counter and just watched yours hit straight 0s :Cry4:

It's a feature of certain dialects to change "r" to "l"...many Isan people do it (their first language is Lao, in which no "r" sound exists at all), but not all...for instance, in Surin (where many are native Khmer speakers) the r's tend to be quite hard and rolled...same in southern Thai dialects. Bangkok dialect is a particularly well-known one for changing r to l...

Loddalick

lol

I've said my name was Roger Federer a few times, with hilarious results.

A Thai friend once asked me if I wanted some chocolate, so I asked what it was. She said "felelio lolay", which had me a little confused, until I seen the unmistakable box of Ferrero Rocher :GoldenSmile1:

It's a feature of certain dialects to change "r" to "l"...many Isan people do it (their first language is Lao, in which no "r" sound exists at all), but not all...for instance, in Surin (where many are native Khmer speakers) the r's tend to be quite hard and rolled...same in southern Thai dialects. Bangkok dialect is a particularly well-known one for changing r to l...

Thanks!