IGNORED

Cell phone Bangkok ?

englishman

I know there has been lots of threads regarding cell/mobile phones in Thailand but since this kind of information seems to get old rather quickly I’m going to ask a few questions.

I’ve never had much use for one on my many previous trips but this time I do think I need one for one reason or another. My one here in Canada is provided by my company hence I can not use it away.

So since I start in Bangkok …

1/ where in Bangkok do I buy a cheap phone that’s also capable of text messages.

2/ then I need to buy a SIM card for that phone ..correct ? same place as the phone ?

3/ then I need to buy minutes ..where do I do this ?

4/ Important …can I then use this phone anywhere in Thailand, ie patts , Hua Hin, Bangkok etc

Sorry for my naivety about phones but I’ve always just been given one and never had to worry about paying a bill or anything else

I’ve looked for an old one here that I might be able to use but no luck there s oit’s down to buying one

Thanks

Englishman 1 week to start of trip and two weeks before I land in LOS again

If God hadn't meant you to eat it , he wouldn't have made it look like a taco !

I'd rather burn out than rust away !

The information where to buy kerps the same for years

- everywhere you go you stumple upon shops selling phones, SIM, credit of all carriers

if you want to hunt down a particular shop area

- every shopping mall in town like MBK, Siam, Unionmall ...

- buy SIMs and credit everywhere also at 7eleven

Buy a prepaid SIM from/called

- 1-2-call

- Happy

If you want Internet buy a montly flat at thb 790 per month

Tell the sales girl what you need it for, she will subscribe you to the best promotion for it.

Ask the sales to switch off all advertising SMS or you will find yourself soon to be subscribed to expensive weather and lottery updates.

---

my Thai wife was different ...

Mbk center 3rd floor loads of cheap phones around 500 baht for the most basic samsung and nokia.

sim chip same true,dtac, AIS best for upcountry. 7/11 is a hassle you need passport blah blah best to get from mbk.

you can buy credits everywhere 7/11, some bars even sell some like beer garden soi 7 just ask.

can use everywhere just depends on which sim chip you buy and baht/minutes some times they give out free sim chips at the airport.

good luck on your trip from a fellow canuck

Thanks guys

If God hadn't meant you to eat it , he wouldn't have made it look like a taco !

I'd rather burn out than rust away !

MBK for sure, but I found mine at a kiosk in a small rundown mall, I was just after a sim that time, , they were helpful and told me how to make cheap calls. When the credit ran out I was in Pattaya and went to 7/11, I showed the girl my phone she sold me the minutes and entered the details in my phone without really asking. Very easy