Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Microsoft Surface

Steven B'stard

P1010001.jpg

P1010016.jpg

First of all i must apologize as some of the photographs i have are a bit shaky . must check the settings on my camera.

Have just purchased one of these and thought i would do a little mini review, first off let me say i am no tech head and by no means an expert on computing, i do not use one for work just at home really for internet, photography etc.

But i felt i had to upgrade to something new and try keep up with rapid evolving technology

or be left behind, i looked at ipad, Samsung Galaxy Note, Nexus etc and almost went for the Samsung until BM Hellbender told me to hang off a few weeks and have a look at the Microsoft Surface which is due for release late October, so i went to the Microsoft website to have a look and thought it looked amazing, and reading the spec and functions i decided this was the one for me although i thought it a little bit expensive at £480, (approx 23000 baht) i also ordered the HDMI lead which allows you to plug it into your TV (42 inch in my case) and watch movies, play games and internet on the big screen. This lead took the cost to £510 (25000) total.

Here are the features from the Microsoft website.

Product Features

• VaporMg™ casing
    Made with VaporMg, Surface is precision crafted to be tough yet elegant, without excessive bulk. At less than 1.5 pounds, with a watch-like finish that’s incredibly smooth, and durable, Surface is a delight to hold and touch.
  • Integrated Kickstand
    Integrated Kickstand provides uncompromised support and flexibility. Flip out the Kickstand for hands-free entertainment. Whether you’re watching a movie, or shooting video, Surface stands on its own.
  • Touch Cover
    The cover you can type on. Touch Cover clicks in to Surface in an instant, and offers a sleek, spill-resistant exterior for working – no matter where you find yourself. When folded back, Touch Cover automatically disables keystrokes for a full touchscreen experience; when closed, it turns off your display. Give Surface your personal touch with a colour that matches your style.

• Ports and Connectivity
    Bring your entire media collection with you wherever you go. A microSDXC card slot lets you add up to 64 GB of extra storage. Show off everything on the big screen using the HD video out port. Full-size USB port and Bluetooth 4.0 provide clutter-free connections with wireless mice and headsets. Dual 2x2 MIMO antennas provide reliable internet connectivity.
  • Windows RT and Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview
    Work anywhere, anytime with Windows RT and Office 2013 RT2. Keep tabs on news, friends, and entertainment with pre-loaded Microsoft apps. Visit the Windows Store3 to discover more apps and games.
  • Front and rear-facing 720p HD video cameras
    Capture life from all sides with LifeCam. The rear camera is angled to shoot straight ahead when the Kickstand is flipped out. The Kickstand also enables hands-free Skype video chat or recording. Custom lens design and an ambient light sensor maximize light intake while providing sharp focus so you'll never miss a shot.

In the box

• Surface with Windows RT and Office Home & Student 2013 RT Preview2
  • Power supply
  • QuickStart Guide
  • Safety and warranty documents
  • Languages available on this device: UK English, French, German

P1010005.jpg

I read some reviews from computer magazines etc and people were complaining about the weight of it with the toughened glass but it doesn't feel any heavier than a hard back book, not an issue for me.

It is loaded with Apps, games etc and also comes with Office 2013, Excel 2013, Word 2013 and Windows Languages 2013 (not sure what this is, haven't looked into it yet.) One note and Power Point 2013.

The photos and video it takes are absolute stunning in quality, look forward to putting these to good use on my next trip.

The touch cover keyboard it great to, you only have to feather touch the keys, and the response is immediate.

P1010017.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010019.jpg

P1010020.jpg

When on the move you just tuck the keyboard round the back and it becomes a tablet as the touch keyboard doesn't work good at all unless it is on a hard flat surface.

P1010002.jpg

some more pics to follow......

P1010003.jpg

Stevie

Over all i am absolutely delighted with it, so much to discover, the only thing eating at me is the fact that £500 would have went along way down Soi 6

:GoldenSmile1:

P1010008.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010015.jpg

P1010022.jpg

P1010024.jpg

P1010025.jpg

P1010027.jpg

Edited by Steven B'stard

Stevie

Great little report stevie

IMO Better than an apple

i have never had an ipad so can't compare, but i am happy with the purchase

Stevie

You kept your word and thanks for sharing.

Just a question, Are you happy with the device?

Comparing iPad or other Android Tablets available in market.

My wife is a sex object. Every time I ask for sex, she objects..

You kept your word and thanks for sharing.

Just a question, Are you happy with the device?

Comparing iPad or other Android Tablets available in market.

Yes mate, i am happy with it, it is a slick bit of kit. Thanks for your advice earlier

Stevie

Yes mate, i am happy with it, it is a slick bit of kit. Thanks for your advice earlier

Credit goes to you for taking the bold step and hanging with a device with a complete new OS and even many geek hasn't got the balls to do it. Three cheers to you. :hello09:

I was bit reluctant to push you towards an unproven device but i couldn't stop myself showing you the right direction as i would do the same, unluckily my model of Surface is yet to release and seems i have to wait till dec :SoWhat1: . As i said i am waiting for the Pro model which comes with 3rd generation Core i5 processor. That is a bread between Tablet & Ultra book.

Edited by Hellbender

My wife is a sex object. Every time I ask for sex, she objects..

Thanks Hellbender,

Yes you said you were waiting for the pro version, way beyond my needs but i am sure you will love it.

Stevie

It's looking good Steve, just spent the last half hour watching a you tube review on it, .I like the ports usb2, and mini hdmi, plus it also has a sd card for memory which sounds good. The real winner for me is the office suite, especially word 2013, I like using the pages app by apple, word 2013 seems to be the same maybe better. All you need now is a new little Thai model to test drive the camera, ...maybe 'one dink' for its maiden recording ? ..lol. All the best with your new toy.

Edited by jinx

jinx

Catch my first report ;               Catch my third report ;

Drinker Tailor Sober Thai     The Place Beyond The Fines. 

Catch my second report ;        My final report :

The Monger Games            Final Random Acts 

I All you need now is a new little Thai model to test drive the camera, ...maybe 'one dink' for its maiden recording ? .

Good choice, or i hear Nun is now working in Sex & the City Bar, she'd be game i think

Stevie

Many thanks for the report / review.

I'm like Hellbender and will wait for the Core i5 version, as I see the Surface as fitting the category in-between basic tablets and laptops.

I have a couple of iPads and don't really consider the Surface to be a direct competitor.

My iPads are for reading, magazine subscriptions, taking to the bathroom rather than a newspaper, quick emails. They are for enjoyment. They display pics well. I can give my mother one, and she can surf the Net, read her email, buy things and put it away. Its simple to her.

To me, the Surface may well cover those options, but will cover most of my travel computing needs that iPads just can't handle.

I need to be able to access reasonably heavy applications on occasion whilst away, and hook up to a larger monitor, so I can work it as a duel monitor system and not really be too disadvantaged over my laptop.

Very pleased you think the build quality is good.

Microsoft have a lot riding on the surface - I certainly won't be upgrading my laptops to Win 8, but a touch screen device - yep, I'm in.

There is as yet, no Android device offering this functionality.

Thanks again.

If you could be bothered with lots of words: my newbie trip report from November 2010

What's the battery life like?

One thing Ipads and all Apple gear excel at is excellent battery life. One big consideration when buying new poratble stuff these days.

What's the battery life like?

One thing Ipads and all Apple gear excel at is excellent battery life. One big consideration when buying new poratble stuff these days.

Agreed, and actually, I'd also be very interested in your impressions of the battery life too, plus how big is the power pack? One thing Apple does do well is small transformers and power adaptors. The power pack on my HP laptop is a virtual brick.

Again with the requests, but I'd also like to know how you find Win 8? Intuitive? Responsive?

Thanks again.

If you could be bothered with lots of words: my newbie trip report from November 2010

I only took order of this on Friday and fully charged it and used it quite a bit to explore as much as I could, the battery lasted 2 full days, of course there are a few energy saving tricks you can add to preserve it's life e.g. turn down the screen brightness, and ajust the 'sleep' sleep mode, mine is set to 2 minutes, so if idle after that it will go to sleep mode, But the great thing is when turned back on you lose nothing, everything is as you left out, I have had no timed out problems at all or anything like that. hope this helps

Stevie

There are consistent reviews that the office apps feel half baked - ie Word doesn't seem to catch up with human typing typing and lags behind. Has that been your experience as well?

I did find windows a bit intrusive as it brings all your contacts from various sites all together automatically, e.g, Hotmail, Google, Facebook, Skype etc and stores them all in the same place, all with photo's from your friends profiles, but if you have nothing to hide what is the problem I thought.

Stevie

There are consistent reviews that the office apps feel half baked - ie Word doesn't seem to catch up with human typing typing and lags behind. Has that been your experience as well?

I have to be honest and say I have never tried anything in Office yet,

Stevie

I have to be honest and say I have never tried anything in Office yet,

Might be worth checking out. I'm curious about that.

Thanks for your review and impressions, though.

Ok, I have to go to work very soon so I will take a look later.

Stevie

I would like to add that as Microsoft delivered this Surface a few days later than agreed, the release date was 26th October and I didn't receive it until 1st November they gave me a £50 voucher to spend in the online store, I think to soften the blow due to the delay.

Stevie

Any tablet for me start from 3G or 4G, yes there are plenty of places that dont have access to WI-FI.

I had an IPad before and it was pretty, now I am waiting for IPad mini and Amazon Fire to compare and both have 4G.

Sounds like better deals.

I was thinking of taking the 'Surface' route, and then I came across this article today in PC Advisor.

http://www.pcadvisor...&olo=daily news

I wonder if any BM's have anything to to add. Is it best to hold on for a while until there might be a firmware update?

Edited by john2028

I was thinking of taking the 'Surface' route, and then I came across this article today in PC Advisor.

http://www.pcadvisor...&olo=daily news

I wonder if any BM's have anything to to add. Is it best to hold on for a while until there might be a firmware update?

Hi John

Thanks for the input, just read the article and personally i'm not having these problems, though i have not tried movie streaming yet. I have been using internet browsing, skype and exploring and trying to figure out Office and Power Point which are all new to me. I refer to the OP, i am no pc wizard but in using the Help function alone in these applications i am slowly learning there's a hole new world out there. all very interesting.

I have never had any training in my life and everything i know is purely self taught by exploring.

I have had more than one 90 minute uninterrupted session on Skype, no problems at all, as well as net browsing non stop for hours. I don't know if it is a regional thing as i always have a full Wifi signal which is shown way down in the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

Again thanks for the post.

Edited by Steven B'stard

Stevie

Hi Stevie

I too have a great wif-fi signal, plus wired Ethernet, which I use for digital banking, just for extra security.

I am going to take the plunge, but will wait until December, for the release of the Pro model, as is our friend Hellbender.

Thank you also for your interesting thread and post.

Cheers

John

Hi Stevie

I too have a great wif-fi signal, plus wired Ethernet, which I use for digital banking, just for extra security.

I am going to take the plunge, but will wait until December, for the release of the Pro model, as is our friend Hellbender.

Thank you also for your interesting thread and post.

Cheers

John

welcome my friend

Stevie