IGNORED

US programming. Missing US "football"

jcnbkk

All due respects to you footballers out there who dominate the stools and screens at all the bars, but I'm jones'n for some american football. Since it's difficult to catch a game out, any US expats catching games over the internet? Where? I know I can't access many sites to view any US programming without a VPN. I looked at the VPN, proXPN, offered on PA but the free version limits speeds to 300kbs, to slow for gridiron action. Any help for a poor Bears fan?

• 2 weeks later...

Man....I've only done trips to Thailand, but I thought the same thing--would have loved to have watched American football at some of the beer bars. It would have been like Hooters back home, except you can take the talent home after the game. Fact of the matter is that it appears that the majority of the expats are from the Footie nations. Hence all the bars cater to footie fans. I actually like watching both footballs, particularly Premier League, but I did notice the distinct lack of the American verison while bar hopping. Bears are top of NFC North right now, so I bet you are chomping at the bit.

So, that brings me to my question: Can't you just ask a friend in America to use their broadband connection to VPN into their network so you can gain a US IP address? From what I gather, that's really the only goal for the VPN--just to get a US IP so you can stream Netflix, Hulu, Fox Sports, ESPN, NBC/CBS, etc. Just find someone that trusts you, has at least a 20down/7up connection and a computer that stays on most of the time or has wake on LAN enabled, bonus if they have a static IP (although not entirely necessary), and don't mind your bandwidth impact. I am definitely simpliying it a bit, but it is quite possible. I use my work server while abroad. static IP and 50down/10up connection. The only bottleneck is the hotel's connection. I'd probably get fired if they ever found out, but a risk worth taking.

I use my work server while abroad. static IP and 50down/10up connection. The only bottleneck is the hotel's connection. I'd probably get fired if they ever found out, but a risk worth taking.

OMG! :o

Well...maybe you are one of those gifted people (read "talented and/or young") who can get a job easily. If not, why not just rent a server from a vendor like Rackspace while you're abroad? A Linux VM costs about $13/month, maybe $60 for a Windows VM, traffic extra. I have a Linux VM from Rackspace that I don't even use at the moment, although I tell myself I will as soon as I get the time. :)

OMG! :o

Well...maybe you are one of those gifted people (read "talented and/or young") who can get a job easily. If not, why not just rent a server from a vendor like Rackspace while you're abroad? A Linux VM costs about $13/month, maybe $60 for a Windows VM, traffic extra. I have a Linux VM from Rackspace that I don't even use at the moment, although I tell myself I will as soon as I get the time. :)

I've dabbled in the tech industry, so I know a thing or two about this sort of stuff. What I'm not positive about is how another country's infrastructure plays into this type of VPN set up (port blocking, etc). I actually also rent a server as well from a hosting company. I initially used it for a long since defunct website. I'm not sure why I still keep it around, but I still experiment with code now and then. I just found that I had more flexability with my work server because I had 100% admin priviledges and could tweak things to my exact specs.