Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Personal e-mail address & Website design

kansuwan

A US-based pal is looking for work and wants to boost his visibiity/credibility on the job market in two ways:

a) getting a personalised e-mail address e.g. John Smith@Smith_Enterprises.com rather than John Smith@gmail/yahoo/hotmail etc.

b) starting a web-site that shows where's he's been, what he can do and offers interested parties a means of contacting him. No need for movie add-ins, animations etc: maybe an opening page with clicks to two others and an e-mail link.

Can anyone suggest a provider of e-mail addresses and some web-site designers that don't charge the earth?

Thanks in advance.

Really quite easy. Just purchase a domain and set up email.

He could do the whole thing himself for under $50

Linkedin is a good place to create a professional presence.

Regarding a designer, I always do my own work. So I have no direct experience. You could post an ad on Odesk & Elance.

There are a number of good web guys on this forum. I'm sure someone will make an offer.

Edited by SlowlyMan

The hosting provider he chooses may have site builder software. The results are fairly generic but may suffice. There are also free templates that may give your friend ideas of what he likes. I contacted a well-regarded web designer in Asia and learned that their basic price is $1,000 US. A guy I know in the US wants $3,000 US for a complete site. There should be a lot cheaper options on Odesk, Elance, etc.

http://www.google.com/search?q=free+web+templates&aq=0&oq=free+web+temp&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Thanks to SlowlyMan and Cyberpro - that should be enough to get him started.

LInkedIn is the starting point. He can have his basics up in about 15 minutes. But if he is in the job market he probably already knows this. Having a personalized email address and website at the start is more for the ego. Nobody looks down on you for having a gmail address.

Most recent trip report: Cambodia/Thailand/Myanmar 2012

A US-based pal is looking for work and wants to boost his visibiity/credibility on the job market in two ways:

a) getting a personalised e-mail address e.g. John Smith@Smith_Enterprises.com rather than John Smith@gmail/yahoo/hotmail etc.

b) starting a web-site that shows where's he's been, what he can do and offers interested parties a means of contacting him. No need for movie add-ins, animations etc: maybe an opening page with clicks to two others and an e-mail link.

Can anyone suggest a provider of e-mail addresses and some web-site designers that don't charge the earth?

Thanks in advance.

You can also use What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) HTML editors like Dreamweaver to create your own site. Using pre-designed templates makes it simple to generate a fairly professional looking site in no time. Sites such as your friend wants don't need to be big or flashy, just elegant, informative and to the point.

Register a domain and get it hosted so you have your email addresses, do some research and have a play with some editors and see what you can do. If you get stuck you can ask for some help having done some of the work already will save you more.

By doing your own web site you have control and can update or change it in minutes when you want. Not wait for someone else to do it for you..

Many domain registrars will provide a website builder - some included with the domain name. The domain and hosting business is extremely competitive and prices are fairly negligible.

My advice would be to choose a very well established company to host the domain as many smaller companies could be students working from home for beer money. The whole "reseller" side to hosting allows these guys to set up for next to nothing - but if they don't pay their bill then you will get stuffed.

I would recommend using a larger company like godaddy or one and one or 123reg. Godaddy has the best customer service out of those.

To have even more security it may be advisable to buy the domain from one company and host it with a different firm, this can be more complicated.

Edited by Timetester

August 2015: 1st Trip [Report] | November 2015: 2nd trip | February/March 2016: 3rd trip | August 2016: 4th Trip [Report

November 2016: 5th Trip booked | December 2016: Moving to Thailand :D