IGNORED

Koh Samui

kasabian_geoff

Hi guys, any information on the best part of koh Samui to stay in? Cheap but nice hotels?

To be honest I'm a bit wary of going... I will be taking my tgf to meet up with a few friends for 5 days over new year. The flights alone are around £400 for both of us.

Maybe I'm thinking of giving it a miss... Or would this be a big mistake?

Also have other plans to visit bkk, kanchanaburi, koh samed and pattaya so any tips would be great.

Cheers kasabian_geoff

Flying from Bangkok you can use air Asia or Bangkok airways , must be possible for less money than 400 pounds .

The island is ok but not that special . Best place to stay is on or close to Chaweng beach (look on Agoda for good deals on hotels) .

It's more expensive than Pattaya or Samet . If you want something special (romantic/beautiful) look for Koh Kood , Koh Mak ,

Koh Chang or the Similan islands .

Edited by jerry

I did an estimate for last Xmas-NY for me and Thai wife for one week. Around 20-30,000 baht.

I gave it a miss, went to Jomtien-Pattaya, and had a ball.

We've done Samui twice now, it is nice and romantic, much more expensive than rest of Thailand but I thought that 4-5 days was enough.....

Ask yourself - what is that you want to do on holiday? If its beaches, Phuket. If its fun with women, Pattaya.

where are your friends staying in samui

"And were you pleased?" they asked Helen in Hell.

"Pleased?" answered she,when all Troy's towers fell;

And dead were Priam´s sons, and lost his throne?

And such a war was fought as none had known;

And even the Gods took part; and all because

Of me alone! Pleased?

I should say I was!"

Lord Dunsany

where are your friends staying in samui

They have booked a villa somewhere, I'm not sure exactly where. I think I'll probably end up giving it a miss anyway... £400 for flights for a 5 day trip is too expensive

you can get to samui from bangkok with a train-ferry combo or a VIP bus-ferry combo , also leaving BKK early evening and arriving samui midday the train has nice sleeper cabins ,

in Samui there also still cheap accomodation to be found , i stay in a hotel 600 bht a night in Chawang called PR guesthouse clean and quiet and not to far away from things , heres the link http://www.pchaweng.com/

flights to samui are exspensive around 4300bht one-way

"And were you pleased?" they asked Helen in Hell.

"Pleased?" answered she,when all Troy's towers fell;

And dead were Priam´s sons, and lost his throne?

And such a war was fought as none had known;

And even the Gods took part; and all because

Of me alone! Pleased?

I should say I was!"

Lord Dunsany

you can get to samui from bangkok with a train-ferry combo or a VIP bus-ferry combo , also leaving BKK early evening and arriving samui midday the train has nice sleeper cabins ,

in Samui there also still cheap accomodation to be found , i stay in a hotel 600 bht a night in Chawang called PR guesthouse clean and quiet and not to far away from things , heres the link http://www.pchaweng.com/

flights to samui are exspensive around 4300bht one-way

I might just look into this train/ferry combo. I like the idea of an overnight train, take in a lot of scenery. Thanks for the tip bud