IGNORED

3G all you can eat data in Thailand

fickle

I'm coming over in December for 5 weeks. I would like to put a sim in my Iphone, that I can buy a months worth of Data (unlimited) as well as putting credit on the phone (for phone calls) separately.

Is this possible?

How much is the unlimited data?

What is the best network to go with?

I know this has probably been asked before, but this forum is so big and deals change all the time.

Thanks in advance.

I'm coming over in December for 5 weeks. I would like to put a sim in my Iphone, that I can buy a months worth of Data (unlimited) as well as putting credit on the phone (for phone calls) separately.

Is this possible?

How much is the unlimited data?

What is the best network to go with?

I know this has probably been asked before, but this forum is so big and deals change all the time.

Thanks in advance.

I have used the happy sim. Never had a problem. Just Google it I think the site is www.happy.co.th. it has all the information.

Raj

It will cost you around 900 Baht for a month of unlimited internet.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Does that include voice?

No only data.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I'd recommend True. Unlimited starts at 599 with 3G speed up to 2GB and then speed limited thereafter. Good coverage.

I use 'Happy' (from dtac network) ..very difficult to get good info as my tgf doesn't understand these things (i don't know enough Thai!) and the service girls in the shop don't seem to understand it (or just happy to sell you anything!).

However, I think it was about 400 per SIM (I got 2, one for phone, one for computer).

they are adamant that it's unlimited, but as mentioned above you only get 1GB at 3g speed, after that you can only get a 'good for nothing' speed. So, in my mind, you buy 1GB for 400 baht, but they say its unlimited.. ..you can also pay 800 baht for your unlimited (this means 3GB!).

It's pay as you go, so you just use 400/800 of your credit on the phone, calls and sms use cost separate and come off the credit already on there.

you can do it all yourself by typing in codes, but dtac have a very good English speaking call centre helpline if staff in the shop are useless (I had to go right over the head of staff who assured me the SIM would not work in my computer,I had to call the call centre from the shop and get them to tell the assistants what to do)

Never seen (or looked for) a micro SIM.

Life's too short!

I always use 1-2-call which is prepaid from AIS and provides good 3G coverage in major cities and EDGE countryside. Unlimited data is thb 799 per month. You top-up your SIM by buying credit from any 7-eleven or similar store, then subscribe to it sending and SMS. The shop girls can do it for you. It will then deduct the 799b plus tax, any remaining balance is to use for calls. Fill-up in time before the 30days elapse if you stay more than one months to get it again next month.

I personally use True.

Pop into the True shop at BKK. Give your phone to the staff who speak good English, tell them what you want and less than 5 mins later walk out with a good 3G service.

True did have an offer on last time and these change regularly.

If it flies, floats or fucks - it will be cheaper to rent !

Last month while waiting or the Bell Bus to Pattaya I used the True outlet at the airport to get a sim card and my Thai phone set up for use in LOS. The sim I recall was around 45 Baht plus what ever you chose to add for phone credits, in my case I added 300bht just to kick things off. I have a Thai only Nokia E95 which works well. In the past mainly for convenience I have just used international roaming for business calls and email on my Blackberry. It works well but is very expensive from the Aussie networks. Costs me over AUD$150 pr week but it is a cost of doing business while having a break in Pattaya.

On this recent trip I bought another sim for Blackberry and had it installed. I prefer the BB for longer messages and emails. Not sure why but it did not work out very well. I had major problems with my BB. Almost sent the BB into meltdown. I googled the problem and it appears that the BB do not like Thai sim cards and can go into a reject mode. Caused me some dramas and a lot of time to get it sorted out. It was eventually resolved but not without some effort and time, a real pain as I was trying to close on a project in Oz.

I have tended to use the internet as much as possible to reduce costs. The difficulty here is that the Hotel(Nova Park) I was residing in while it had free WiFi it was very slow and unrelaible. For big documents it was a bit of a lottery as the connection would tend to time out while sending large files.

Solution - there are a large number of cafes and bars that offer good WiFi free. The best place in terms of speed and convenience for me was the Three Angels in Soi 6. They have a very good connection and great speed. Also some additional attractions once the business has been complated. Big Steve helped me out at a difficult time, thanks.

Overall I found the True network reliable and easy to access. Local calls & sms are not too expensive but as with the Ausie networks once you go internatinal cost cilmb dramatically.

I use True and paid about 500 bt for around 500 meg but have never had to top up, as I keep getting free top ups!? That was about 3 months ago!!!

I used the 1-2 Call (AIS) which is the biggest company in Thailand. 3G sucked around Pattaya and they throttle your bandwidth once you go past a couple of gigs of usage. From speaking to others, it sounds like they all do this (True Move and Happy) too.

3G auction for thai mobile phone networks may commence b.eginning of next year there is no real 3G in thailand, best for downloading speeds are thai internet gaming cafes they are cheaper faster and usually more secure than the "tourist" internet cafes or big hotels wifi systems

I like to call it UM...limited. Once you reach the usage they drop you down to edge speeds. The benefit of getting the motherload package is that you get free wifi and there are hotspots all over the city. With AIS 12call you can use the 3BB hotspots. Log in, keep your session for 24 hours before having to log in again. I haven't noticed data restrictions on those and the speed is faster than 3G. I've used the wifi on the smart phone or laptop.