IGNORED

Help Needed- Different Types of Thai Visas?

PattayaGik

I'm confused about the various visa options availble, so any advice would be appreciated.

Is there an official Thai reference site that spells out the various visa options available? If a falang wanted to live semi-permanently in Thailand, for example, what visa's apply, what is the cost/duration of each & the respective qualifying criteria.

I've heard mention of Education visas, O visas, Retirement visas, Marriage visas, Business visas. I'm not even aware of where to start my research!!!

Hopefully the knowledge base of the PA Community can assist.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by PattayaGik

You can start here: Thai Consulate Sydney

You will get general information about the visas that are available. You can then ask more specific questions.

If you are under 50 and not married to a Thai your options for a long-term stay in Thailand are quite limited. You can do the merry-go-round of tourist visas and border runs or the education visa route. If you are 50 or over then a retirement visa is the best option with very few qualifying criteria.

People will be better equipped to give you more specific information if you post your age and general plans.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Just remembered that I wrote about visa options for Thailand a while ago: visa options for Thailand

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

You can start here: Thai Consulate Sydney

You will get general information about the visas that are available. You can then ask more specific questions.

If you are under 50 and not married to a Thai your options for a long-term stay in Thailand are quite limited. You can do the merry-go-round of tourist visas and border runs or the education visa route. If you are 50 or over then a retirement visa is the best option with very few qualifying criteria.

People will be better equipped to give you more specific information if you post your age and general plans.

Hi Scumbag

Thanks for your responses - good reading references.

I'm over 50, married to a Thai, but stil working to pay the bills. Doing some forward planning now to find out what's required to meet criteria & then taking action to position myself accordingly over the next (how ever many) years.

I'm aware that requirements can and do change, but heading in the best qualifying direction now seems the best option.

Hi Scumbag

Thanks for your responses - good reading references.

I'm over 50, married to a Thai, but stil working to pay the bills. Doing some forward planning now to find out what's required to meet criteria & then taking action to position myself accordingly over the next (how ever many) years.

I'm aware that requirements can and do change, but heading in the best qualifying direction now seems the best option.

Then the non-immigrant visa is the way to go, either the retirement or the type-O depending on which one suits your requirements. Both are very easy to get in Australia, given your circumstances.

I am under 50 so the non-imm type-O fits my purposes. Just picked up my new visa yesterday! BTW these visas are easy to get in Kuala Lumpur, if you are married to a Thai.

Thanks again Scumbag

So where can I find eligibilty criteria for "Retirement" & "O-type"?

Remember I know virtually nothing about any of these visas, whereas some of you guys know heaps about the subject given you have been there and done that!

It seems from reading elsewhere on this forum that all I need to qualify for a retirement visa, is to have 800.000bht in a Thai Bank account for 2 months prior to lodging application.

Other threads seem to suggest obtaining a 3 month tourist visa first - giving time to open bank account & then apply for retirement visa in Thailand.

Retirement visa can be renewed every 12 months, provided bank account topped up again to 800,000bht two months beforehand.

I think I have a broad undestanding of the way to go now. Will update the forum once I go through the process.

Thanks All.

It seems from reading elsewhere on this forum that all I need to qualify for a retirement visa, is to have 800.000bht in a Thai Bank account for 2 months prior to lodging application.

Other threads seem to suggest obtaining a 3 month tourist visa first - giving time to open bank account & then apply for retirement visa in Thailand.

Retirement visa can be renewed every 12 months, provided bank account topped up again to 800,000bht two months beforehand.

I think I have a broad understanding of the way to go now. Will update the forum once I go through the process.

Thanks All.

If you was in Thailand the amount required in a Thai account is correct. However, if you apply for the visa before departing home the requirements will be different. It is unlikely that they will require you to have any money in a Thai account. Contact your nearest consulate for details of what they require.