Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

How to pronounce khrap or khap?

Mognam

When I here people say it on the street it sounds like khap (can't hear a 'r'), when I was listen to my learn thai cd the guy is saying khrap (with the 'r').

I have even seen it written as khrub and spoken as khab on the street.

What is the correct way, is one more formal than the other?

Cheers for any help.

that was quick!

Seems that the correct pronunciation is khrrrrup but it's only used in formal settings, kup seems to be sufficient anywhere else

she asked "do you lub me?" i replied "i lub fucking you!"

the "right" pronouciation is krab ... with an "r" in the middle and a "b" at the end.

But most people don't care and it spaek out like khap or khrap, with "p" at the end

In any way you'll be understood nevertheless

Please keep in mind that everything I write is based on my own experiences, my personal preferences and my expectations. YMMV!

There's nothing wrong about being cheap ... but being cheap isn't being smart ... never was, never will be ... it's just cheap

There is an r in there, but, as we all know, Thais are lazy and leave it out sometimes.

If you want to get a laugh sometime and sarcasticly thank someone ( must be friend ), say "khan Khun krrrrrrrrrrrap" really exaggerate the r. I saw it done on Thai comedy shows several times.

See you at Le Pub, soi Diamond.

Le Pub Facebook Page

Le Pub YouTube Channel

There is an r in there, but, as we all know, Thais are lazy and leave it out sometimes.

If you want to get a laugh sometime and sarcasticly thank someone ( must be friend ), say "khan Khun krrrrrrrrrrrap" really exaggerate the r. I saw it done on Thai comedy shows several times.

"khan Khun krrrrrrrrrrrap"

What does "Khan" mean?

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

The correct way is with the r sound included. In most parts of Thailand, the r is not rolled and definitely not stressed.

The a sound is not the flat a as in "Back", rather a short clipped "ah" sound, almost a "U" as in "cup"

The p is not stressed. Normally when you pronounce the ending of a word like cup or rub, you would expel a small puff of air and open your lips. If when you finish the word Khrup, you keep your lips together, you will be almost perfect.

Correct and traditional way is to say "krab," but the trend is to say "khap." Old-school thai-teacher would love to hear "krab" and hit you when you say "khap."

cup

The OP asked for the correct way and "cup" is certainly not correct

I hate it when they do things like this. Khap actually is the verb 'drive' so it sometimes throws me off, same with 'law' = 'handsome' & 'ror' = wait (which they pronounce 'law'); of course I always tend to favour the former. :GoldenSmile1:

sounds like cup to me everytime i here it

That's because you're an Aussie. You pronounce 'cup' the way we (English) pronounce 'cap'. :hello09:

sgu_banner.gif

• 3 weeks later...