IGNORED

obtaining Vietnamese visa in Thailand, takes how long?

thebestman36

Back in March we booked flights to Thailand for 2008 for a 3 month stay. We plan on visiting cambo and vietnam during our trip. At the time we booked I thought we wouldnt need to obtain any visas before arrival, opting to get our cambo and viet visas after we get there. Now I see where without having a Thai visa (which we cant get now), that we need proof of an onward flight in order to enter Thailand, since our return flight is 3 months after arrival. So, to make this long story short, we hope to obtain a vietnamese visa in chiang mai and then fly from bangkok to hanoi.

So, I have a couple questions I hope someone here might know. About how long does it take to process the visa? Anyone know for sure that one can be bought in chiang mai? If not chiang mai, possible to get one in pattaya? We will be in chiang mai for 8 days or so and a week in pattaya, if we need to go there to find viet passport. Thanks!

I went to Vietnam for a long weekend last year.

I think you can only get a visa for Vietnam in Bangkok. The travel agent in my condo arranged the visa for me for a small fee (can't remember the cost now). I would allow a minimum of 7 days to get the visa. I paid a bit extra for a speedier service but that was a waste of money as it still took just under a week. You could apply yourself, but the extra cost was negligible. I don't know whether any travel agents in Chamg Mai will offer this service for you. Anyone know?

As you have discovered, you will need to get an appropriate visa before you come to Thailand - either a multiple entry non-Immigrant O visa if you can get it or a tourist visa that allows you to enter Thailand a minimum of three times. I've never been asked for a return ticket when entering Thailand, but when I checked in for my flight back to Thailand from Ho Chi Min, I was asked about an onward ticket. As I live here, I didn't have one so had to find the approriate visa in my passport.

For those who don't know, you MUST obtain a visa for Vietnam BEFORE entering the country.

Alan

• 3 months later...

It's been a few years now, but I remember going to the Vietnamese embassy in person to pay the fees and fill out the forms - I was able to collect it 1 or 2 days later.

Perhaps you could email or call them for info on exactly how long it takes.

Have a great trip there.

All I know is that you cannot enter vietnam from Cambodia, on a stolen motorcycle.

Back in March we booked flights to Thailand for 2008 for a 3 month stay. We plan on visiting cambo and vietnam during our trip. At the time we booked I thought we wouldnt need to obtain any visas before arrival, opting to get our cambo and viet visas after we get there. Now I see where without having a Thai visa (which we cant get now), that we need proof of an onward flight in order to enter Thailand, since our return flight is 3 months after arrival. So, to make this long story short, we hope to obtain a vietnamese visa in chiang mai and then fly from bangkok to hanoi.

So, I have a couple questions I hope someone here might know. About how long does it take to process the visa? Anyone know for sure that one can be bought in chiang mai? If not chiang mai, possible to get one in pattaya? We will be in chiang mai for 8 days or so and a week in pattaya, if we need to go there to find viet passport. Thanks!

A friend just got one in 2 days going to the Vietnam embassy in Bangkok by himself.

• 2 weeks later...

I got it done last week. It took 2 days for me to get the visa. They charged 2,500 bath for a single entry tourist visa. Also you would have to mention the port of entry in advance and cant enter through any other port than mentioned in the VISA. They asked me a one way confirmed air ticket to vietnam while submitting the application.

I feel its better to apply in person than going through an agent as the process is simple and can save some money.