IGNORED

Street food

One of my favorite palces to eat in LOS is from the street vendors . The food is fresh, healty, tasty , and very cheap . The only problem I have is knowing what to order and relaying this inf to the ladys at the food stalls because of the language barrier. I sometimes order what someone else around is eating , which is usually pretty good . I also frequently give the girls at the bar i happen to be at a couple hundred baht and 15 min later the return with enough food for the whole bar !!

Anyone have any tips on how and what to order from the street vendors and also what one should pay cause im sure there is double pricing at play here to .

Some common Thai dishes spelled out in Thai writing would be invaluable .

all this talk of food is making me hungry , i wish there was a food stall on my street in falangland :D

Cheers

:Blur:

Dude

10-40 baht depending on where/what you order

most stalls (not all) added about 10baht for me compared to thai girl buying the day before :closedeyes:

Heres some Thai - English translations not a great deal though

Thai-Language - Food

Dude

Can you give an "indication" of what you like otherwise the list would be endless. I can then give you phonetic Thai versions.

On the other hand the vendors are quite used to farang just "pointing" i.e. at the "type" of noodle you want and the meat you want etc. Don't be embarrassed, they see it many times and are just happy to make a sale. Just remember the Kop Khun khap and you will see a big smile.

As most vendors sell noodle soup here is a brief starter

kway-tee-oww = noodle or noodle soup

Bharr mee - if you prefer the egg noodle to the rice noodle (most farang seem to but LOOk to see if they have it beofre ordering or you might get blank looks)

neua (New Ar) = beef

Moo = pork

Gai =chicken

Ped = duck 9short tone)

So kway-tee-oww moo = noodle soup with pork (usually sliced pork and pork balls together)

kway - teee - owww bhar mee moo (as above with egg noodle)

Beef soup is the one where you will get all the green stuff with it - i.e. basil leaves, lettuce, cabbage etc on a side plate. Either shred the basil inot the soup or just eat the leaves whole - they are delicious with noodle soup.

Look for vendors that are "popular" with Thais - what you say about them being "healthy" is not always the case. Thais will avoid the ones with bad hygeine.

Also AVOID the oysters on the stalls - thai stomachs are more hardened to enteritis than the average farang and eating them from an "open stall", especially after they have been displayed for a few hours is a good way to go down sick.

Andy

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

I know where there is one of a night and he can speak english so no problem there.Other times for example I have been near Mikes and there were a couple of vendors there but not doing much bussiness.Then a guy pulls up on a motor bike and people from the shops come out with bowls.I just have a look and every time on for the girl that has come out of a shop asks me do you want to eat and I say yes and they just order for me and it is usually like a noodle soup which it great and they say I put this for you but not this one to spicy for you

• 1 month later...

To be honest I find the best way to get what you want from food carts is to say 'Sawadhee Khrap" then point!

If it's a noodle soup stall just point at the various ingredients you want.

Unless you've had some practise, and know something of the tones, it's much harder to make yourself understood in Thai than in good old sign language.

• 1 month later...

yeah i had the best luck just having whatever girl/girls i was with ordering the food for me

• 2 years later...

I actually enjoy finding various street vendors and trying their food (by sight and smell.) . Never have been sick. I wonder if that is a game of Thai roulette? Most of their food is somewhat spicy so you have to adjust - that means a couple more cold ones. The idea about having the girl getting the food has a lot of merit. Not only will you get some decent food, but have company to help you eat it. If I have her buy lots of extra food, do you think that you could share with the rest of the girls (on a slow afternoon or night?) Would it be well recieved? It is a different idea rather than ringing the bell.

We go around the world many times, but where we land is important and the most satisfying.

The night market right across from Wat Chaimongkrol is great for picking up food. Thats the big Wat right in the middle of town. You can easily get a nice variety of food, for either yourself and your date, for under 100Baht. I eat a lot, and my average was about 80Baht or so. They have a massive selection of different dishes available, as well as desserts. The green pancakes they make are a bit greasy, but a pretty damn tasty snack. That market starts at about 9-10pm and runs till after WS has started shutting down. Not uncommon to see many of the ladies out there buying dinner for themselves.

Drop by the nearest Book store and pick up this book. Execellent read and will show you which Hawkers are selling what.

Thai Hawker Food by Kenny Yee

Hawker_Food.jpg

Drop by the nearest Book store and pick up this book. Execellent read and will show you which Hawkers are selling what.

Thai Hawker Food by Kenny Yee

I looked for this damn book in about 4-5 bookstores in Phuket, Pattaya and Bangkok....no one had it. I love the street vendors too. I'm forced to order it online now and use it for my next trip!

Eat. Down. South.

when i am in a bar i just ask the girls to get some food they always come back with a nice variation for 100 baht.

obvious! nice idea! :Drunk_Party:

I'm sure many of the Street Vendors may have tasty food for a good price, it is still risky in my opinion. I would hate to have a case of runs during my trip.

The rule of thumb in Food Safety, if it is out in room temperture for 4 hours or more your at risk at getting sick. Plus no hand wash ? They have a dirty towel to wipe their hands.

Just Food for Thought !

post-23648-1241667674_thumbjpg

Hi everyone! Here is a book about food from street vendors. Transcription in english. Very useful!

Thanks this will come in handy next month

Kadachi

P4P C4C

• 1 month later...

they often have english menus (well maybe just a piece of card with the basic dishes in english and price) tucked away somewhere (at least the ones in pattaya do), just ask for the menu!

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

• 2 weeks later...

And ofcurse same time you get an snack before bed

You can always pick up an bed warmer :GoldenSmile1:

I like pattay tai after 02:00 in night after WS closed

they have many difrent charts whit food for 20 to 40 thb and you can always pick from many stand att same time

Fride rice and a noodel soup

hmm i have to get down NOW

Ac

<center><embed src="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/&clickLABEL=MySpace Countdown Clocks&flashLABEL=Countdown Clock Codes&skin=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/skins/32.jpg&text=Days%20until%20some%20hard%20riding%20in%20Pattaya%20agen&untilColor=16776960&textColor=65280&datesColor=65433&year=2009&month=7&day=10&hour=14&minute=0&second=0&x=6&y=77" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="200" name="countdown" align="middle" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br><small><a href="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/">MySpace Countdown Clocks</a></small></center>

Near Walking Street, in the little street where whats up etc are, you have many little tables. You can eat there clean and for a good price

• 2 weeks later...

I am much more careful since I saw a guy selling kebabs on one of the karts having a piss up a wall then coming back to serve me, no sign of washing his hands so I passed and have done ever since.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

As far as the carts go, I love the donner carts, the chicken and lamb in the hot Pita bread is just right after a fun evening...The guy at the begining of Soi Marine (Lucky Star) with the little blue truck has great ones too.... have been enjoying his for years...

I also saw a cart in Jomtien that served BBq Brats or sausage, but was not sure as I just glanced as I drove by... If that is the case, i would love to try his fair as well...MMMM Im getting a little hungry

Spank