Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Twitter, Blogs, Facebook or Social Media

andyaus

I’m over 50 so that might be the answer to my question but I just can’t understand the worlds obsession with Facebook or Twitter.

I did look at the websites to try and understand it and once a young Pinoy friend set up a Facebook page in my name but the thought of telling everyone what I am doing or what I am likely to be doing or what I have been doing just doesn’t make sense.

I regularly get updates on Facebook and despite turning off every notification I could I still get regular emails about someone is now friends with so and so. I don’t know any of them so I just delete them but even if I did know them I wouldn’t care who they were friending.

Now my evening seven o’clock news programming is asking me to follow them on twitter. Why?..will they give me my news at 6pm spoiling my 7pm routine?

I tried to find some interesting “tweets” and learned that someone called craig was in Walking Street....So what?

And what is it with cats? Hundreds of women keep sending me updates so I can see pictures of their bloody cats. I don’t care what cute thing the cat is doing, i’m not interested.

So is it just me? Do the rest of you FB and Tweet?...I did find one interesting fact..The Bird association with Twitter has been named after Larry Bird the basket baller. :LMFAO:

Oh and today I was talking to a young guy who actually said LOL during a conversation...I pointed out that he could have laughed instead but he looked at me as though I was strange

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

I totally agree, it just gets to me when someone says LOL to me when they can laugh in real life. I'm a younger generation but still I've found FB and Social media to not be for me. I don't really care what others are doing and could care less what they think I am doing. They can call me on the phone if they wanted to ask. Even in a study people who use FB and others are sadder because they see the good things other people are doing, but who is going to post awful things on FB anyway.

I totally agree, it just gets to me when someone says LOL to me when they can laugh in real life. I'm a younger generation but still I've found FB and Social media to not be for me. I don't really care what others are doing and could care less what they think I am doing. They can call me on the phone if they wanted to ask. Even in a study people who use FB and others are sadder because they see the good things other people are doing, but who is going to post awful things on FB anyway.

Most of my mates send me text messages to have dinner, or a beer or just about anything. I don’t bother texting and just ring them up...must piss them off to actually have a conversation... :Think1:

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

Same same me Andy, I had a Facebook account and in the end I really couldnt see the sense in it, so I cancelled it, I had a twitter but haven’t logged on for ages….so it’s not you….it’s me….lol.

:GoldenSmile1:

Edited by missedherB

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like they are not for you then. So why be here on a forum, it's a social media platform of sorts.

It's like AFL or NRL etc i have no idea what is interesting about watching a bunch of strangers run around with a ball but Billions of people love that shit. Fuck, I don't even have a TV.

The problem with facebook I found is that interesting people are too busy doing interesting stuff to bother posting & the rest think I will be consumed by the minutiae of their lives, of which I am not interested.

I run a blog as an online diary & have referred to it many times times.

Twitter is a superb tool as long as you have the acumen to drill through the dreck.

I long ago gave up on FB, I run a twitter account but rarely tweet, just follow stuff i find interesting.

As to ringing friends, I think it the height of rudeness to impose myself. Sending an SMS allows them to respond at a time that best suits them.

I bloody deactivated my FB account and it is indeed intrusion in personal life. My ex used to keep a eye on me through FB & twitter but now she has no idea. To all my good friends i am more comfortable calling them rather leaving a poke. What a joke.

This is very interesting topic on FB if you guys haven't read it.

http://gizmodo.com/5912827/well-pay-you-for-photos-of-mark-zuckerberg

and this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2070749/Facebook-security-glitch-reveals-Mark-Zuckerbergs-private-photos.html

My wife is a sex object. Every time I ask for sex, she objects..

Sounds like they are not for you then. So why be here on a forum, it's a social media platform of sorts.

It's like AFL or NRL etc i have no idea what is interesting about watching a bunch of strangers run around with a ball but Billions of people love that shit. Fuck, I don't even have a TV.

The problem with facebook I found is that interesting people are too busy doing interesting stuff to bother posting & the rest think I will be consumed by the minutiae of their lives, of which I am not interested.

I run a blog as an online diary & have referred to it many times times.

Twitter is a superb tool as long as you have the acumen to drill through the dreck.

I long ago gave up on FB, I run a twitter account but rarely tweet, just follow stuff i find interesting.

As to ringing friends, I think it the height of rudeness to impose myself. Sending an SMS allows them to respond at a time that best suits them.

Issac Asimov writes of a future world where people stay on “properties” sourounded by Robots and only interact with other people using a 3D Viewing system, Even this is seen to be rude and discouraged. As a matter of necessity there are “mating sessions” which are very clinical, kept to a minimum and offer no pleasure at all.

Good luck in your brave new world of SMS communication but I prefer someone to call me or better still drop over for a beer.

:stargate001:

Voltaire

Most of my mates send me text messages to have dinner, or a beer or just about anything. I don’t bother texting and just ring them up...must piss them off to actually have a conversation... :Think1:

This makes me laugh, you see someone spend 10-20 minutes texting back and forward. When a 2 minute phone call would get the same result.

Work the curse of the drinking classes. - Oscar Wilde

I totally agree, it just gets to me when someone says LOL to me when they can laugh in real life.

Larry David, the Social Assassin agrees with you....

I'm in the other camp than you guys -- I actually get most of my news from Twitter by following AP (for typical "news"), some financial guys (who provide market updates) and sports writers who focus on boxing, football and NBA. I was glued to it during the NBA trade deadline and the NFL Draft, but I am a sports junkie and want to know right away what is happening. I also enjoy checking it while I'm watching a fight, as a number of boxing writers will post their thoughts/scoring round-by-round.

I'm not a big fan of Facebook, though. I have accounts (2 - one for my "legit" friends and 1 for Thai girls) and am linked to a number of friends throughout the country on it. It's a way to stay in touch, but I am sick of hearing people drone on about their political views, WTF their kid is doing, religion, etc. MUCH less of this on Twitter, at least among the people that I follow (though the political tweets were unbearable during the Republican and Democratic National Conventions).

Finally, I am a texting whore. I would rather communicate by text or email with about 95% of the people in my life than pick up a phone and call them. I can say what I need to say without killing more of their -- and MY -- time. Some of my friends are the same way (and we text like 15 year old schoolgirls), while others aren't.

All of that said and although I often type it, I would NEVER say "LOL"....