Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

For Those Who 'Liked' The Rep' Button.

Edge

There was quite a discussion leading up to the abandonment of the Rep' Score system, with accusations (true) of abuse, piss taking and even sabotage.

So, it's gone and that's that.

I am not proposing its return.

One thing I found interesting at the time was that Thaivisa (same Invision board) was also experiencing problems, mainly with apparently incestuous 'voting up'.

In the end, I believe they abandoned the Rep' button just before PA did.

At one time they also used the Negative Rep' button, but that was seriously abused and abandoned quite quickly.

I don't think PA ever enabled that one (phew!).

I don't go on there very often, so it's taken me a while to notice, but they have copied (feckin) Facebook and introduced a 'Like' button.

No doubt from previous lessons learned, they have not enabled the 'Dislike' button.

As far as I can tell, the main difference between 'Like' and the old Rep' Score system is that there is no overall score attributed to the BM who posted.

It simply records how many 'Likes' a particular Post has received and who made them.

Each BM has a limited number of 'Likes' to give per day (as with Rep') and I think there is a limit on how many you can give to one BM.

Personally, I prefer that BMs make a worthy Reply, but there was an argument that the Rep' button gave Lurkers an opportunity to record their opinion without having to bother writing anything.

If the 'Like' button gave an alternative to the inane replies that appear in some threads (eg "No, I haven't seen her but I wish I had") perhaps it wouldn't be a bad thing?

The only thing is that any Reply is good for the OP as it bumps the thread.

Anyway, I wondered whether there is a case for PA to consider this option?

Just a thought. :GoldenSmile1:

Edit following informative post by 7-Eleven. Thank you.

I can see where you are coming from Edge, but won't it lead to less replies to a thread.

Nobody likes inane replies lke the example you gave above but a reply is better thaan no reply IMO, but it wouldn't bother me personally if it were introduced.

Edited by steviehgv

Stevie

I can see where you are coming from Edge, but won't it lead to less replies to a thread.

Nobody likes inane replies lke the example you gave above but a reply is better thaan no reply IMO, but it wouldn't bother me personally if it were introduced.

That's what concerns me.

It's for Admin/Mods to judge, if they choose.

It depends whether you think those who post the one liners will continue to do so, even if they also use the 'Like' button, or whether it will be either/or.

Some will still post the one liners in their pursuit of Advanced of course.

I also don't know what, if any, effect it would have on the Stat's which Laamok posted yesterday showing demographic spread of BMs but also their activity.

Dunno, just asking. :hello09:

Don't know much about these things but presumably the like button is a link to Facebook and is used to increase traffic to a website - hence Mr Facebook and Mr Google (5) reading this topic as I type. Therefore, is it helping the forum to grow?

Changes to PA over the last few months appear to have been made with the intention of increasing topics and encourage posts. That said, many of them, news items etc., don't seem to generate much of a response and if you did comment on some of the threads you would probably be breaking the forum rules.

I can see why you might want less inane comments/replies and agree that something like the like button might be a solution but maybe this isn't what those running PA wants :GoldenSmile1:

Maybe someone a bit more clued up on this could explain the advantages or disadvantages?

Don't know much about these things but presumably the like button is a link to Facebook and is used to increase traffic to a website - hence Mr Facebook and Mr Google (5) reading this topic as I type. Therefore, is it helping the forum to grow?

I'm pretty sure the 'Like' button is just internal and not linked to FB.

Don't get me going on the scourge that is FB, but yea, I assume the presence of it and Mr Google is all part of the quest to make PA grow.

What I don't know, is what is the effect on the Stat's if someone who would otherwise have done nothing, hits the Like button thus leaving his BN there.

Changes to PA over the last few months appear to have been made with the intention of increasing topics and encourage posts. That said, many of them, news items etc., don't seem to generate much of a response and if you did comment on some of the threads you would probably be breaking the forum rules.

I can see why you might want less inane comments/replies and agree that something like the like button might be a solution but maybe this isn't what those running PA wants :GoldenSmile1:

Maybe someone a bit more clued up on this could explain the advantages or disadvantages?

:LOL2: No the robotic news thread posters don't seem to have read the Rules.

The rest is up to those in charge.

A like button would be a great idea as long as it didn't add to a persons post count. I think it would be good to be able to merit another BMs good post without having to post +1 or something just as bad!

I don't know if it would be open to the abuse that the rep button was? or if there would be a cost that would make it not worth doing for Laamok? but it's a good idea in theory.

Bill

Isn't a "like" even more inane than an inane reply?

Sorry for asking, but what is the "rep button" ???

If you find your rep systems are being manipulated and used for abuse then you may well find that the same thing happens with a simple like feature

e.g a member calls another member a cunt or something insulting...and the comment is liked my many(all agree with the comment/abuse), it can be abused for online bullying if allowed..personally i dont give a fuck but i mention it as i have assumed from the removal of other features that some members here have been abused on the forum and don't feel comfortable with it

i hope that makes some sense

ps how long does it take to learn to run/admin these forums? i thinking of a completely different market/interest but this forum and thai visa seem to have good templates/software for building a community forum

A like button would be a great idea as long as it didn't add to a persons post count. I think it would be good to be able to merit another BMs good post without having to post +1 or something just as bad!

I don't know if it would be open to the abuse that the rep button was? or if there would be a cost that would make it not worth doing for Laamok? but it's a good idea in theory.

Bill

I can't see how it would increase a BM's post count and neither can I see how it could be abused the way Rep' Points were.

It gives a post credibility but it does nothing more for the poster as far as I can see.

As they're both Invision boards I'm assuming there would be no cost - just enable it?

Isn't a "like" even more inane than an inane reply?

Possibly so, but is no reply or acknowledgement of the post just read any less so?

I'm not sure either, that's why I'm asking.

Sorry for asking, but what is the "rep button" ???

It's history, but have a look at some of these threads :-

Rep points.JPG

If you find your rep systems are being manipulated and used for abuse then you may well find that the same thing happens with a simple like feature

How? Notwithstanding the example you've give, seriously, how?

e.g a member calls another member a cunt or something insulting...and the comment is liked my many(all agree with the comment/abuse), it can be abused for online bullying if allowed..personally i dont give a fuck but i mention it as i have assumed from the removal of other features that some members here have been abused on the forum and don't feel comfortable with it

i hope that makes some sense

Not really.

We have Rule 3 and others, plus the Report button.

ps how long does it take to learn to run/admin these forums? i thinking of a completely different market/interest but this forum and thai visa seem to have good templates/software for building a community forum

No idea, you'd have to ask Laamok.

How? Notwithstanding the example you've give, seriously, how?

Not really.

We have Rule 3 and others, plus the Report button.

No idea, you'd have to ask Laamok.

hi mate

well i commented as i read that your system was being used for abuse and pisstaking...didnt that merit rule 3 of no abuse?

the way the like feature is abused is by bullying, you don't have to call someone a cunt but you can ridicule them..when the pisstaking gains momentum (with likes) then it becomes a form of bullying and abuse/piss taking

forum id's can be registered taking the piss out of members and then the id used to like every post that the intended target makes and is then displayed either to the memebr that has receievd the likes or displayed for the whole forum to see. eg john smith..someone trolls him with a new id JohnSmithSucksScrotum and every post john smith makes he then has JohnSmithSucksScrotum likes this post underneath

as they say in los

up2u

Edited by MaiKowJai80

I

It's history, but have a look at some of these threads :-

Rep points.JPG

Thanks mate :GoldenSmile1:

If we enabled it every time you clicked like it would put a link to the thread on your Facebook wall for everyone's friends, family, co-workers, giks, girlfriends, wife's to see...

"Living on the Edge likes - "how to take it up the bum from a ladyboy" - Pattaya-Addicts.com"

I don't think it's as innocent as you think it is!

If we enabled it every time you clicked like it would put a link to the thread on your Facebook wall for everyone's friends, family, co-workers, giks, girlfriends, wife's to see...

"Living on the Edge likes - "how to take it up the bum from a ladyboy" - Pattaya-Addicts.com"

Ouch!

I looked for quite a but at the threads about it and didn't see any reference to it being linked to Farcebook so I thought it was just a crib of the word 'Like'.

I thought it was just a different use of the old Rep' option.

It being as you say, then as you might imagine, I'm out, as I wouldn't use it anyway.

The fact that it could actually be used 'against' me would be disastrous IMO.

Now, I'm curious whether Thaivisa BMs know, although their content is not so contentious, but most of all, how do I bury this Topic? :Think1:

Yeah, let's not get THAT button....