IGNORED

Sunday lunch reccomendation....

properperson

In the 3 years i've lived in Pattaya, i've eaten a fair few sunday lunches - some good - some not so good (and a few bleedin horrible)...

On a friend's recommendation - i today tried "Gregg's Kitchen" (2nd Road, just before Dolphin Island - in the "Drinking Street" complex).

I went for their roast Lamb sunday roast....

Easily the best sunday lunch i've had in Pattaya - and at 295 B felt like good VFM (Beef and Pork was 250 b)...

Lamb - cooked to perfection, very tender and flavoursome

Roast spuds - nice and crispy, fluffy inside, lovely flavour.

Vegies - perfect flavour and perfectly cooked - the carrots actually tasted like carrots.

Gravy / Mint sause - again perfect...

My g/f had Thai food and said it was the best Thai food she has eaten in a "Ferang" restaurant...

The owner (Greg, i assume) was very friendly and attentive...

Overall a 9.5 / 10 - would definitely return...

And before the "he's yer mate" gang start piping up - i am nothing to do with the place and had not met him before today - just wanted to share a decent dining experience...

Pigs & Whistle or Nickys at Soi Buakhao... They do cook lovely British Roast.

Sounds good, is it open or have they an inside area? Seems Greg

Has dropped his prices since he moved from the second road location, while the food there was good his prices were silly, I paid 290฿ for the large breakfast about 4 years ago...but will try the lamb at the new place, the price is right

• 2 months later...

Went to Dicey Rielys pub (part of the Marriott) for Sunday roast this week..299฿....a head, very tasty indeed, choice of 2soups, large salad bar, 3 meats, turkey, beef, and pork, all good grade meat, the beef was very tender,and the turkey not at all dry as it often is, roast and mash, plus 3veg including colliflower cheese. Ice cream and cakes...live music was played by an American guy..which was a nice change...only problem was parking as they have done away with the parking area outside the front doors and replaced that area with tables...but will go again..very good

The Sportsmans on Soi 13 do an excellent roast, but no salad bar, just a soup of the day.

I have tried also Dicey Rileys but was disappointed on the two occassions I ate there (in fairness, about 6 months ago). The second time I did have a word with the manager who was a very nice Swiss guy. I guess there-in lay the problem. How does a Swiss manager really know what makes a good English roast, or breakfast for that matter? I found the same with their English breakfast as well! For example using frankfurters instead of proper pork sausages!

Shenagans both in the Avenue complex, 2nd Road, and the one in Jomtien have a good salad bar and the meats were good, but their 'trimmings' let them down, especially the yorkshire puddings, which were rock hard and inedible, and the roast potatoes which had an odd flavour, probably from the oil or whatever, they had been cooked in!

I was not aware of Gregg's Kitchen. Thanks for the heads-up. I will give them a try next Sunday!

Edited by Wicked Roger

I recently started a whiskey diet......I've lost three days already!