IGNORED

To all those that are familiar with Bangkok Please Help!

cwestinx1648

Hi all,

For specific reasons I am planning on staying in BKK for long term starting next month. I have often travelled to Thailand but never into Bangkok. I really need help/advice finding an apartment to stay in. I know my budget makes my choices limited but I am sure something can be found that will suit my needs. I am trying to find a place for around 9000-10,000 Baht a month not including utilities. I DO NOT need it to be serviced. All that I require is that it has WIFI internet, A/C, bed, and somewhat close to the farang related areas. I am also willing to sign to a 1 year contract as I know that helps lower the monthly due rent.

I have heard that there are areas that are heavy with foreigners that are both good areas to look in and even some to avoid. I have looked on some apartment search sites and found some decent looking places but since I am unfamiliar with BKK my problem is I do not know what areas I should be looking in. The last thing I want to do is arrive and be searching for a place in person in an area I should be avoiding or a place I will end up hating and being stuck there on a contract that could have all been avoided.

Thank you all in advance.

BTW

I know that this post belongs in the BKK topic forum. I posted it in here because the BKK topic forum seems to have light traffic and I am running low on time.

Edited by cwestinx1648

The area north of the new BTS station, Udom Suk, has loads of apartments in new buildings. I'm not familiar enough with current prices there but studios and some 1-bedrooms would easily fit your rental target. I looked there last year (but left Thailand so didn't rent in BKK).

On Nut BTS area (Tesco Lotus etc in big mall) has thousands of affordable apartments, many of which are filled with bar girls and farang BFs. Has great night market.

Also the area behind Fortune Town Mall (Phra Ram 9 MRT stop, 2 up from Sukumvit) has loads of apartments that will run you about 6,000 to 8,000/month. Just walk around and walk in to ask. This is a good area because of FTown and the new giant Central Plaza Rama 9 mall. I lived there before. It's only 50 baht taxi fare from Suk.

There are many more worthy areas located around BTS stops, such as Thong Lor, Ekkamai and Phra Kanong.

Thanks for the info. Please keep the info coming everyone!

Thanks again all!

BTS Station On nut around there you can find plenty of appartments in your budget (best would be opposite side to Tesco Lotus i think its sukhumvit 81

also good to get into the nightlife from there a few minutes by BTS to the good locations

"When I die, bury me face down so the world can kiss my ass"

Thanks for the info. Please keep the info coming everyone!

Thanks again all!

This question came up on another forum a few months ago. The guy was looking for something along Sukhumvit, close to a BTS Station and his budget was THB 10,000. But, after looking about and seeing what was available at that price point, he bumped his budget to THB 15,000 and selected better digs. The THB 5,000 increase makes a big difference at that price point.

A couple of places he found at his lower budget were:

• As mentioned above, Sukhumvit Soi 81, served by the On Nut BTS Station; about 250 metres into the soi, on the right are a couple of relatively new apartments and condominiums that appear well maintained; KV Mansion, Your Space, My Place; a few more older ones on the left side of the soi, just a little further down. An up and coming neighborhood with very good access to the BTS (5-8 minute walk, or a THB 10 motorcycle taxi ride). Nice neighborhood amenities – Tesco Lotus, night market, laundry, banks, 7-11, and the parade of working girls, all dolled-up, and arriving at the On Nut BTS Station on their way to work begins at about 5:30 pm.
  • Sukhumvit Soi 22; about 25-50 metres into the soi from Sukhumvit, and on the right is a high-rise apartment called Sujinda Mansion. A very convenient location, about 3 minutes walk from the Phrom Pong BTS Station, and surrounded by all the neighborhood amenities you will need. But it is pretty modest digs - your door lock will be a padlock. The building is occupied mostly by working girls. While that might at first sound appealing, these girls are night owls whose coming and going in odd hours might make sleeping problematic. And, just because they live close by, you are unlikely to be granted freebie privileges.
  • Sukhumvit Soi 38; almost at the bottom of the Thonglor BTS Station escalator. Sutti Mansion II. About as Spartan as they come, but clean and seems to catch a lot of farang. Great street food on the soi out front, and one BTS Station from the nearly opened neighborhood shopping center at Ekkamai BTS Station.

Couple of additional comments:

• If you’ve only traveled here and not lived here, you might want to consider proximity to the BTS as a priority. I really believe the only way to be happy living in BKK is to organize your day about peak hour traffic, and avoid getting into a car at almost any expense.
  • Keep in mind that the cost of transiting 2-4 times daily to the BTS Station can have a meaningful impact to your total cost of living at that budget. A few extra thousand in rent for proximity to the BTS and the amenities that are generally close by to them are in many opinions well worth it.
  • Also, if you are many here, you will eat out often. Being proximate to local restaurants and markets (again, generally located in the shadow of BTS stations) is a huge convenience.
  • The farang teaching community here is very well networked, and their budgets are in your range. Their web site might be a rich resource for good properties - http://www.ajarnforum.net/vb/
  • The areas around Soi Ari BTS Station get some attention, but it is not my preferred neighborhood. Others will be better to adise on this area.
  • Going to THB 15,000 will make your quality of life materially better.

Good luck.

Edited by brutox

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

KV menison soi 81 (BTS on nut) is the one ! ihave just missed to post the name in above post

i think it was 8500 THB a month without electric , internet and water

you can also rent 2 units together to get a bigger appartment with a discount of 20% on the second unit

this aaprtment is well maintanted and clean also not noisy and have small shop and restaurant in the lobby

i think its agood deal but im not sure the prices go up the last years

please check it out

http://www.kvmansion.com/ or call 02-3322211

Wow that place looks great! That will be the first place I check out when I arrive, Thanks for the info.

KV menison soi 81 (BTS on nut) is the one ! ihave just missed to post the name in above post

i think it was 8500 THB a month without electric , internet and water

you can also rent 2 units together to get a bigger appartment with a discount of 20% on the second unit

this aaprtment is well maintanted and clean also not noisy and have small shop and restaurant in the lobby

i think its agood deal but im not sure the prices go up the last years

please check it out

http://www.kvmansion.com/ or call 02-3322211

A few questions I have about that place. How much extra is the internet and how fast on average is it? Connection speed is very important to me. Also me being a single guy I probably will bring back women often to my place. How would they respond/feel about that?

Hi Cwestinx1648

the internet is availible wireless at the room as well as with lan cable the speed i dont know it was around 3mb that time but im sure it go up to 6mb already as a standard in BKK the cost they charged before was arounf 800 thb a month. i think the speed is okay for daily use if you not need to suck movies or very big files

you can bring back as many women as you want its up to you i never got any comment they even where helpful and friendly in case some day you need to get a girl out and need help from security :Macarena: just talk to my buddy which staid there for 2 years he also never had any trouble about it you can also get a second and third keycard for the doors for 200 THB extra (all doors use magnetic card )

the electric is charged 12 thb per unit ( aprox. 2000 THB a month if use ac a lot) and water i cant remember it was cheap about 300 THB a month

hope i could help you let me know if the prices have increased or not if you consider to move in there and remember you always get a better price on a long term (12 month or 24 month) contract you can always dicuss with the manager there

Edited by rodbangkok

I gave them a call today and they said they do not have any 8000THB rooms right now but only 10,000TH rooms and could not give me a reason why the room cost more vs the cheaper one. It seems like the lady on the phone didn't really know for sure or was just trying to upsell me. She wasn't the nicest lady either. I told her I can agree to a 12 month lease and all she could say was "I dunno sir".

Any tips on dealing with them? I really would like to stay there as it looks great from the pics.

Thanks!

BTW I'm up to looking at any other places you or anyone else recommends.

Edited by cwestinx1648

i think the clerk you have talked too dont know a shi..

as far as i remember its up to the floor that means higher floors more expensive

i staid on 6. floor that time

maybe the better way to do would be to send them a e-mail Inquiery

or even better just go there after you arrive to TH and talk to the reception manager he is always sitting in his office all day and play on his laptop

im sure on a 1 year contract you will get a discount from the 10K but its sounds like the are full on the lower floors ?!

if you cannot success with this i would help you by get the quote for you on monday !?

when will you arrive to TH ?

I arrive in the morning on the 9th next month. I wrote them an email last Tuesday but I have not received a reply.

If you can get me that quote and possibly the better price I swear I will take you out a night and drinks would be on me! Let them know I am willing to stay a year.

Thanks again for your help, it really means much to me!

sorry i was very busy yesterday i will do it today after work.....

i will let you know the result

Hi

i have talked to the guy there and yes its pretty full on low level floors

the appartmets for 10 k are still availible and he is willing to give some discount on a 1 year contract

he told me that he will reply your mail this days after he check what he can do for you he also will call me today in theaftenoon back after he have checked .....

i let you know

Thank you very much for the assistants! When I am in town i'll give you a call if you would like to get some beers on me.

If anyone else has any advice please keep it coming!

Edited by cwestinx1648